• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because your normally chasing and Younis Khan has won a larger percentage of matches than Dravid, a lot of them thanks to his own 4th innings contributions or while batting second in general.
If you score your runs in the first dig then you don't have to bother chasing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because your normally chasing and Younis Khan has won a larger percentage of matches than Dravid, a lot of them thanks to his own 4th innings contributions or while batting second in general.
Yeah but if you bat well in the first three they become a bit moot.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Yeah but if you bat well in the first three they become a bit moot.
not really, 4th innings can and often do change matches but thats not to say those other runs dont count. Im simply giving you numbers and performances which differentiate between 2 guys that are very similar at the test level. Khan is just a more solid match winner in a team of batting middletons.

subshakerz

International Coach
For me, I give a lot of credit to Younis Khan for his consistency and having a decade plus long extended run of good form without any real slump since 2005 to now. Unlike Dravid, who faded as a force as his career progressed, Khan has maintained a high standard and got better. If he is able to keep it through to a successful series in Australia and retirement, we would have to reevaluate who is the better between the two.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dravid has had 2 monster tours to england and another big one of australia younis even though has 2 big hundreds in england his 218 at oval was an atg knock however he has yet to reach Dravid's heights in those places, unless he has a gun series in Aus i am not willing to put him at the same level as Rahul.

Xuhaib

International Coach
However i do agree with subshakerz Younis has sustained brilliance longer then Dravid. Dravid 2007-11 was a little inconsistent and could go missing sonetimes for entire series.

anil1405

International Captain
While people are rightly pointing out that Younis has been more consistent over the years, what has not been talked about here is the brilliant start Dravid had to his test career, something that Younis didn't have. So it kinda evens out in the end.

OverratedSanity

Yeah exactly. And Dravid averaged almost 50 in the 90s, which was a period when, as everyone knows, all pitches were greentops and all bowlers were Malcolm Marshall on roids.

Zinzan

not really, 4th innings can and often do change matches but thats not to say those other runs dont count. Im simply giving you numbers and performances which differentiate between 2 guys that are very similar at the test level. Khan is just a more solid match winner in a team of batting middletons.
What you'll generally find here is most will big-up 4th innings runs if it fits their argument about a certain player they like. However that's usually long forgotten as being a thing later on, and the same people who used it when it suited them will then argue 1st innings runs are just the same.

So depends who you ask and when you ask them most of the time :p

anil1405

International Captain
While people are rightly pointing out that Younis has been more consistent over the years, what has not been talked about here is the brilliant start Dravid had to his test career, something that Younis didn't have. So it kinda evens out in the end.
Having a closer look, it appears none of the top batsmen in the last 30 years had as good a start as Dravid had to his test career. By good start i mean being consistent, scoring in all conditions and against top bowlers. Which means Dravid has a slight edge over YK for me even if you take the consistency aspect throughout their careers.

Dravid was very good in his first 5-6 years and then he had that golden patch from 2002-2006 followed by few years of dip in form.

Another thing to note is that Dravid has played 10 or more tests in a year ten times whereas Younis has played 10 or more tests just twice in his career. Since we are going into detailed analysis I guess these things matter too.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Having a closer look, it appears none of the top batsmen in the last 30 years had as good a start as Dravid had to his test career. By good start i mean being consistent, scoring in all conditions and against top bowlers. Which means Dravid has a slight edge over YK for me even if you take the consistency aspect throughout their careers.

Dravid was very good in his first 5-6 years and then he had that golden patch from 2002-2006 followed by few years of dip in form.

Another thing to note is that Dravid has played 10 or more tests in a year ten times whereas Younis has played 10 or more tests just twice in his career. Since we are going into detailed analysis I guess these things matter too.
You can't use activity in this aspect. Both have played a lot of tests but it's not Khans fault that there was a time when Pakistan were playing so few test matches.

listento_me

U19 Captain
For me, I give a lot of credit to Younis Khan for his consistency and having a decade plus long extended run of good form without any real slump since 2005 to now. Unlike Dravid, who faded as a force as his career progressed, Khan has maintained a high standard and got better. If he is able to keep it through to a successful series in Australia and retirement, we would have to reevaluate who is the better between the two.
Agreed. Plus ,we can not forget that Khan had to work wonders with a very average batting line up for a long time. Dravid spent the largest chunk of his career playing wih the likes of Ganguly, Tendulkar, VVS and even Sehwag. Although they weren't all great, they were/are better than the likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Salman Butt, Taufeeq Umar etc etc etc.

What you'll generally find here is most will big-up 4th innings runs if it fits their argument about a certain player they like. However that's usually long forgotten as being a thing later on, and the same people who used it when it suited them will then argue 1st innings runs are just the same.

So depends who you ask and when you ask them most of the time :p
Look, 4th innings matter, especially when you directly correlate those runs to test matches won.

I get your point thought but it still doesn't change this analysis. Khan and Dravid are damn close, it's like trying to tell who had a better boxing career, Ali or Robinson. So we have to start looking at the minutiae, one of those in big hundreds, triples and ofc, the famed 4th innings.

Khan edges it slightly for me for those reasons...in tests. I have to reiterate the latter.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's funny how 'not being Sachin' gets Dravid held in a super high regard but 'not being McGrath' doesn't do **** for Jason Gillespie's reputation really

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agreed. Plus ,we can not forget that Khan had to work wonders with a very average batting line up for a long time. Dravid spent the largest chunk of his career playing wih the likes of Ganguly, Tendulkar, VVS and even Sehwag. Although they weren't all great, they were/are better than the likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Salman Butt, Taufeeq Umar etc etc etc.

Nice to know that Yousuf, Inzy, Misbah have not been playing for Pakistan during Younis' career.

cnerd123

likes this
Nice to know that Yousuf, Inzy, Misbah have not been playing for Pakistan during Younis' career.
Agreed. Plus ,we can not forget that Dravid had to work wonders with a very average batting line up for a long time. Younis spent the largest chunk of his career playing wih the likes of MoYo, Inzy, Misbah and even Azhar. Although they weren't all great, they were/are better than the likes of Akash Chopra, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina etc etc etc.

cnerd123

likes this
it's funny how 'not being Sachin' gets Dravid held in a super high regard but 'not being McGrath' doesn't do **** for Jason Gillespie's reputation really
TBF Dravid's status amongst ATG batsmen is much higher than Gillespie's amongst ATG fast bowlers.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Agreed. Plus ,we can not forget that Khan had to work wonders with a very average batting line up for a long time. Dravid spent the largest chunk of his career playing wih the likes of Ganguly Raina, TendulkarMd Kaif, VVS Dinesh Kartik and even Sehwag Sadagoppan Ramesh. Although they weren't all great, they were/are better than the likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Salman Butt, Taufeeq Umar etc etc etc.
Those guys didn't play just like how Misbah, Yousuf, Inzi, Malik didn't.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
**** I forgot Dinesh Mongia even played Tests.

Mohammed Kaif was gun tho.

EDIT: Oi Dinesh Mongia never played tests. Why u lie to me Shri.

Last edited: