• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I did to you in a previous threads, and I think it was Sehwag & I can't even remember who he was up against, but I really felt you were overrating him, but given you're so easily flustered, I'll save that type of ribbing for my cousins across the Tasman.
No that wasn't it. It was this:

Surprised to see an Indian placing Tendulkar in a different class than the likes of Hammond & Lara.
A pretty crappy post in all honesty.

Zinzan

A pretty crappy post in all honesty.
I remember taking issue with you on Sehwag as well, but that one was actually a very accurate (if sarcastic) post & I wouldn't expect any differently based on unconsciously bias, & especially apt considering it's known the cricket world over how Indian fans in particular tend to overrate Sachin. So it's weird you act surprised when a few of us point that out once in a while.

BTW - If we're digging up crappy posts, perhaps I should dig up some of the tripe from the Indian/NZ series thread, especially that last day or so of the 3rd test, to which fortunately Kiwi posters ignored. Some of it was so bad, it's almost persuaded me to shout for England in this upcoming series, which would mean cheering for the same team as Furball, so that's saying a lot. :p

Shri

Mr. Glass
I remember taking issue with you on Sehwag as well, but that one was actually a very accurate (if sarcastic) post & I wouldn't expect any differently based on unconsciously bias, & especially apt considering it's known the cricket world over how Indian fans in particular tend to overrate Sachin. So it's weird you act surprised when a few of us point that out once in a while.

BTW - If we're digging up crappy posts, perhaps I should dig up some of the tripe from the Indian/NZ series thread, especially that last day or so of the 3rd test, to which fortunately Kiwi posters ignored. Some of it was so bad, it's almost persuaded me to shout for England in this upcoming series, which would mean cheering for the same team as Furball, so that's saying a lot. :p
Smily faces and passive aggression. Now, where have we seen that before.

vcs

Yeah I can't remember anything particularly arrogant said by Indian posters during the Test series. It's hard not to be somewhat upbeat when you are winning by 350 runs or whatever.

Zinzan

There's nothing passive about the prospect of supporting the same team as Furball.

Zinzan

Yeah I can't remember anything particularly arrogant said by Indian posters during the Test series. It's hard not to be somewhat upbeat when you are winning by 350 runs or whatever.
It was actually no big deal at all, I generally appreciate a good ribbing. I was just meaning if we're all playing the sensitivity/annoyance game OS is, that we could reference some of it.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Kallis was vastly superior to Dravid. Better average, nine more hundreds in just two more tests with a much better conversion rate. Didn't fail against McGrath and Warne in their own backyard while Dravid did, although from their respective reputations here you'd think the opposite had actually happened (Dravid did cash in against Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken on some really flat tracks tho). Also didn't fall away badly in the last four years of his career like Dravid did. Don't even mention their head to head performances. Dravid really gets a lot of overblown love for not being Tendulkar, that makes people overlook his shortcomings.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Kallis was vastly superior to Dravid. Better average, nine more hundreds in just two more tests with a much better conversion rate. Didn't fail against McGrath and Warne in their own backyard while Dravid did, although from their respective reputations here you'd think the opposite had actually happened (Dravid did cash in against Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken on some really flat tracks tho). Also didn't fall away badly in the last four years of his career like Dravid did. Don't even mention their head to head performances. Dravid really gets a lot of overblown love for not being Tendulkar, that makes people overlook his shortcomings.
No, its rather the fact that he has proven, repeatedly, that he can score runs when no one else can. Also his failings were not because of a lack of talent but because sometimes bowlers outclass the best of them too. And why would you guys compare him with Kallis anyway? He would get into most teams ahead of Dravid because he is close to being the greatest all-rounder of all time and would get in based on that distinction alone.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I remember a nice King Cricket post on Dravid. It's from the 2011 series where they went to play in the Windies with the half-arsed team that wound up Shivfan.

Gambhir, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Yuvraj aren’t playing against the West Indies, so there were plenty of chances for India’s up-and-coming batsmen to make their mark. Suresh Raina got 82 in the first innings and Harbhajan 70, but other than that it’s all been eights, twelves and fifteens.

But batting’s been tricky. The Windies have struggled too. Adrian Barath’s the only West Indian to have made it past 27. Can no-one score on this pitch?

Yes, of course they can. Rahul Dravid made a hundred and quite frankly, everything is right with the world. If you’re wondering how he did it when everyone else has struggled, you might like to spend a split second pondering the simple fact that Rahul Dravid is better than everyone else.

There’s no need to scrutinise this too much.

OverratedSanity

Well that's really fair when Kallis is facing Sreesanth and Umadkat and Dravid has to cop Steyn,Donald and Pollock. :laugh:

Honestly, I think Kallis and Dravid both have a few holes in their records. Dravid sucked in SA, and was never consistently good against Australia ( though he played a few godlike innings). Kallis was absolutely woeful in England and wasn't great shakes vs Murali. It's wings and roundabouts really, both their records are pretty much equally good, Younis' as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lol who's waahing? Seriously. You guys call kiwis out for waahing all the time, and we don't say boo, someone makes the point that fans tend to being unconsciously biased and it's rubbish posting and all hell breaks loose. Yeah, we're the one's waahing...lol
Waaaaah

listento_me

U19 Captain
This is a tough one for me. I think I read somewhere on here that Khan has done very well in the UAE but not away from home. First off, the UAE isn't home and one of the grounds doesn't even have a Pakistani pitch curator. Second, much like Dravid, Khan has been the guy Pakistan have looked for to get them away wins or out of a sticky situation. They are so similar it's ridiculous.

Once again, their numbers are exceptional when they've had to bat second, against an absolute pile of runs. Khan's 313 was awesome, as was Dravids highest score of 270. Khan however, had to often do it with his back against the wall, wickets falling, middling batsmen trying their best to portray test players. All the while Dravid had the comfort of Tendulkar, Gangulay and even VVS and Sehwag.

Let's not forget one of the most remarkable of all test innings, Khans 171 is one of the top 5 highest 4th innings scores ever. It was match winning too. Sticking to the match winning aspect, Khan has a highest percentage of test wins away, which is made even more remarkable by the sheer weight of his runs in those wins. Most recently the 218 (I believe his 3rd away, match winning double) against England. Dravid never managed those same number of big innings.

All in all, if we're looking ONLY at tests then I gotta go with Khan. Them ore fluid, more aggressive run maker who has a vast appetite for 150+ scores. That's the guy I'd want at 3 or 4.

Shri

Mr. Glass
This is a tough one for me. I think I read somewhere on here that Khan has done very well in the UAE but not away from home. First off, the UAE isn't home and one of the grounds doesn't even have a Pakistani pitch curator. Second, much like Dravid, Khan has been the guy Pakistan have looked for to get them away wins or out of a sticky situation. They are so similar it's ridiculous.

Once again, their numbers are exceptional when they've had to bat second, against an absolute pile of runs. Khan's 313 was awesome, as was Dravids highest score of 270. Khan however, had to often do it with his back against the wall, wickets falling, middling batsmen trying their best to portray test players. All the while Dravid had the comfort of Tendulkar, Gangulay and even VVS and Sehwag.

Let's not forget one of the most remarkable of all test innings, Khans 171 is one of the top 5 highest 4th innings scores ever. It was match winning too. Sticking to the match winning aspect, Khan has a highest percentage of test wins away, which is made even more remarkable by the sheer weight of his runs in those wins. Most recently the 218 (I believe his 3rd away, match winning double) against England. Dravid never managed those same number of big innings.

All in all, if we're looking ONLY at tests then I gotta go with Khan. Them ore fluid, more aggressive run maker who has a vast appetite for 150+ scores. That's the guy I'd want at 3 or 4.
Lol, Kolkata 2001. There's your match winning innings. And thats just one and there are many, many more memorable ones.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
match winning partnership but it wasn't a mach winning innings lol - that was Laxman's and Laxman's alone

Shri

Mr. Glass
match winning partnership but it wasn't a mach winning innings lol - that was Laxman's and Laxman's alone
Yeah, if he didn't hold one end up, there was no Laxman special that day. He was just as important because no one just talks of Laxman's innings where I am from, its always the 'Laxman-Dravid partnership'.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Lol, Kolkata 2001. There's your match winning innings. And thats just one and there are many, many more memorable ones.
I'm not saying Dravid couldn't play a match winning innings. I'm just saying Khan has played in a larger percentage of won matches, especially away from home and he has those doubles to go along with having to bat second and save/win a match.

It's close but Khan's style, ability to score at a rate when need be AND to do so (As I said before) without the help of VVS, Ganguly, Tendulkar etc is immense.

Maybe try reading my post before posting something.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure there was a reason why Misbah was considered the best batsman in the Pak XI even while YK was in there playing too.
This has never been the case, even if we take into account periods of form.