• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid

akilana

International 12th Man
Dravid had inferior strike rate to Kallis but he wasn't selfish and took the game away from opposition??
Kallis was better than both Sanga and Dravid for me. Dravid gets a lot of love for not being Tendulkar as Victor said but he had no personality and was a slow scorer as Kallis was. He had as many or more holes in his resume than Kallis did.
Younis was below these players.
Lara was the best talent of the lot but his failure in India, NZ and the lack of a hundred against Donald, Wasim etc counts against him.
Sachin in the 90s was probably the best batsman but is not clear cut no 1 overall.
Lara/Sachin
Kallis/Ponting
Sanga/Dravid
Younis
G Smith, KP, Clarke, Sehwag, Laxman.

Btw, between Dravid and Younis, it's Dravid

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I loved watching Dravid. Haven't seen as much of Younis.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Younis does have amazing statistical feats. Not sure what it was exactly, but there was a table the broadcaster showed when he reached his 100 which showed he had just beaten one of Bradman's records. Plus, Pak weren't a dominating batting side during their early years in the UAE. The archetypical image I have of Younis is always of rebuilding the innings after another top order collapse. The most prominent one that comes to mind is against Steyn, Philander and Morkel in Cape Town, coming in at 33/4 or something.

I would consider him par with Dravid. If he has a Kholi-esque tour of Australia, I think he will get his due recognition in the wider cricket community.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am sure there was a reason why Misbah was considered the best batsman in the Pak XI even while YK was in there playing too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly a surprise to see almost all Indian posters think Dravid's better & almost all the neutrals seems to think the two are there or thereabouts.

Natural unconscious bias exists folks, but we rarely recognise it in ourselves... which is no doubt a big reason for my thinking that Hadlee is the 2nd best pace bowler after Marshall, when there's a good case for the likes of McGrath, Lillee, Wasim & Ambrose, to name a few.
Sheesh,you coudn't be more wrong. The thread has most Indian supporters (except *****, who was joking anyway) saying they're very comparable while you have Gob ( an Australian) and Furball ( English) saying it's Dravid easily. So no idea where nationalistic bias comes into it here.

Daemon

Sheesh,you coudn't be more wrong. The thread has most Indian supporters (except *****, who was joking anyway) saying they're very comparable while you have Gob ( an Australian) and Furball ( English) saying it's Dravid easily. So no idea where nationalistic bias comes into it here.
Yep, unfortunately as RANDIs we have to cop this sort of rubbish posting time and again through no fault of our own.

vcs

Kallis should be nowhere near that company.

Well, not nowhere near, I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but you're having a laugh if you don't think Dravid is better than Kallis.
Kallis averages 5-6 runs more. I know stats don't quite paint the complete picture, but you have to be putting him at least equal to Dravid even if he's not quite in the Tendulkar-Lara tier.

Zinzan

Only read the first page or two, & noticed ***** yourself and shri's thoughts which correct me if I'm wrong indicated Dravid, & extrapolated based on previous polls/comparisons in the past.

Besides, I wasn't having a specific crack an Indian fans, I said myself that in close battles/comparisons, we tend to (whether you want to call it an unconscious bias or not) go with our countryman. Hence I accept it is probably a big part of the reason I think Hadlee is the 2nd best Pace bowler of all time.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Only read the first page or two, & noticed ***** yourself and shri's thoughts which correct me if I'm wrong indicated Dravid, & extrapolated based on previous polls/comparisons in the past.

Besides, I wasn't having a specific crack an Indian fans, I said myself that in close battles/comparisons, we tend to (whether you want to call it an unconscious bias or not) go with our countryman. Hence I accept it is probably a big part of the reason I think Hadlee is the 2nd best Pace bowler of all time.
I said that it wouldn't be wrong to compare them or anything. Just that one might be slightly better than the other and that one's career winded down pretty poorly.

OverratedSanity

Kallis averages 5-6 runs more. I know stats don't quite paint the complete picture, but you have to be putting him at least equal to Dravid even if he's not quite in the Tendulkar-Lara tier.
He averages 3 runs more, which is basically negligible at that level.

Zinzan

Yep, unfortunately as RANDIs we have to cop this sort of rubbish posting time and again through no fault of our own.
Way to take it personally & miss the larger point about fans generally favouring their countrymen in really close comparisons. Nothing to do with Indians, but don't let me stop you interpreting it that way & playing victim :p

Zinzan

Zinzan taking Kiwaahing to new lows, smh.
Lol who's waahing? Seriously. You guys call kiwis out for waahing all the time, and we don't say boo, someone makes the point that fans tend to being unconsciously biased and it's rubbish posting and all hell breaks loose. Yeah, we're the one's waahing...lol

Daemon

Way to take it personally & miss the larger point about fans generally favouring their countrymen in really close comparisons. Nothing to do with Indians, but don't let me stop you interpreting it that way & playing victim :p
It was a fair point but your evidence was inaccurate. Also nothing will stop me from bringing up RANDI as often as possible.

OverratedSanity

Lol who's waahing? Seriously. You guys call kiwis out for waahing all the time, and we don't say boo, someone makes the point that fans tend to being unconsciously biased and it's rubbish posting and all hell breaks loose. Yeah, we're the one's waahing...lol
But your statement that had no merit since it wasnt just non Indians rating Dravid higher.

You did the same thing in the Murali thread too though, where you saracastically said "It's no surprise an Indian rating Tendulkar higher than Wally Hammond" or something. As if that's the only reason why someone could possibly rate him higher, and conveniently ignoring the posters from other nations also rating him higher, and ignoring Indians like hb who rate Lara higher than Sachin. Nationalistic bias exists, but your posting along these lines is really annoying.

Apologies to Dameon, I know as a RANDI I should probably just cop it.

Last edited:

Zinzan

You did the same thing in the Murali thread too though, where you saracastically said "It's no surprise an Indian rating Tendulkar higher than Wally Hammond" or something. As if that's the only reason why someone could possibly rate him higher, and conveniently ignoring the posters from other nations also rating him higher, and ignoring Indians like hb who rate Lara higher than Sachin. Nationalistic bias exists, but your posting along these lines is really annoying.

Apologies to Dameon, I know as a RANDI I should probably just cop it.
Yeah I did to you in a previous threads, and I think it was Sehwag & I can't even remember who he was up against, but I really felt you were overrating him, but given you're so easily flustered, I'll save that type of ribbing for my cousins across the Tasman.