• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why was Murali a really bad bowler in Australia?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree that there are differences between excuses and explanations, but "He was worried about an umpire" is piss weak, regardless of which category it falls into.
Luckily that's not what happened. The pressure on him from the press for months, the crowds in addition to the possibility that some umpire was going to try to make a name for himself was more than I'd seen any visiting player wear. And this was all on top of being his team's only bowler against an oppo who were mashing everyone at home at the time. Everyone has their limits and it was telling that Murali let the mask slip occasionally having been virtually silent in other tours.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because his arm was more bent than Neil Patrick Harris in the Oscars bathrooms.

But the man was a connoisseur of the game.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
It's because he made a deal with Warne. Warne realized Murali's superior avg would count against him in CW debates. Warne agreed to retire early so Murali would end up with the higher wicket count if he agreed to be sh!te in Aus.

As likely a reason as any other proposed here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Luckily that's not what happened. The pressure on him from the press for months, the crowds in addition to the possibility that some umpire was going to try to make a name for himself was more than I'd seen any visiting player wear. And this was all on top of being his team's only bowler against an oppo who were mashing everyone at home at the time. Everyone has their limits and it was telling that Murali let the mask slip occasionally having been virtually silent in other tours.
Yeah but the thing is he was a professional and should have done his job. I don't want to hear the sob stories about the mean and nasty crowds. Sounds like someone should have told the bloke to get a grip. It was a really embarrassing episode on the whole, and you knw it.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah agree. I mean Hadlee got ripped by the crowds here all the time. And the poms ... I don't think he would have anything to worry about from the umps either. The political pressure was all in his favour. Pretty sure our board and the game's adminstrators generally wouldn't have wanted anything controversial to happen. We've seen politicians take an interest in the conduct of the game and you can't completely rule out them making it clear to the admin that controversy should be avoided.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but the thing is he was a professional and should have done his job. I don't want to hear the sob stories about the mean and nasty crowds. Sounds like someone should have told the bloke to get a grip. It was a really embarrassing episode on the whole, and you knw it.
Whatever, frankly I'd love to hear more about your japes with research lawyers vs practitioners.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Whatever, frankly I'd love to hear more about your japes with research lawyers vs practitioners.
Haha, in that case you should have said so all along. I'm amazed that you, as someone who has been around the site as long as you have, took the time to respond to any of my posts in here seriously at all come to think of it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's a different level of scrutiny when the Prime Minister is attacking you imo. But the main reason is he faced good opposition and was surrounded by an embarrassing bunch of hacks