• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-Time Trading Game

Howe_zat

Audio File
So, the players left out of the original XI (kept in the subs, that is) can't then be swapped into the final XI at the end?

But players picked in the original XI can be left out if you want to replace them with the acquired players, even if they haven't been traded away, right?
The whole point is for you to pick an XI out of your squad at the beginning and end and see if you've made it better. Anyone in your squad can be picked in either XI.

Don't know where you got the bolded bit from

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The whole point is for you to pick an XI out of your squad at the beginning and end and see if you've made it better. Anyone in your squad can be picked in either XI.

Don't know where you got the bolded bit from
Well, since you're only comparing the first and final XI to gauge improvement, isn't it easy for people to just pick 7 weak players in their original XI and then replace them with 7 strong subs they picked just for this purpose?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well, since you're only comparing the first and final XI to gauge improvement, isn't it easy for people to just pick 7 weak players in their original XI and then replace them with 7 strong subs they picked just for this purpose?
Yeah. I suppose there's an unwritten rule not to take the piss.

harsh.ag

Yeah. I suppose there's an unwritten rule not to take the piss.
Dude, what does that even mean. I can pick Marshall, Ambrose, Viv, Sobers etc in my subs, Dillon, Roach, Samuels, Sammy etc in my first, and my improvement becomes insane. The only way to stop this is if you make sure no sub can be chosen in the XI. Subs are only for trading purposes.

Or, you could have something like 1 sub can be chosen in the final XI for the purpose of flexibility.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dude, what does that even mean. I can pick Marshall, Ambrose, Viv, Sobers etc in my subs, Dillon, Roach, Samuels, Sammy etc in my first, and my improvement becomes insane. The only way to stop this is if you make sure no sub can be chosen in the XI. Subs are only for trading purposes.

Or, you could have something like 1 sub can be chosen in the final XI for the purpose of flexibility.
The much easier way to stop it is assume you're not going to be a dick tbh. We're not playing for money, just get on board with the spirit of the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Harsh, the first rule is this:

To play you need to claim a one side out of England, Australia, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Then post what you feel is their best XI along with 7 reserve players to form a squad.
Not "post what you feel is the eleven you could most improve on", but "post what you feel is their best eleven".

Given there's nothing at stake I doubt anyone will be keen to cheat as it'd take all the fun out of it entirely. It'd be obvious if someone was taking the piss too, to the point where they'd just be removed by Howe, I think.

Flem274*

123/5
I'll take Sri Lanka. I don't know much about their earlier players so might leave someone obvious out but hey

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. harsh.ag - West Indies

2. AndrewB - England

3. kingkallis - South Africa

4. jimmy01 - Australia

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Chappell
Border
Miller
Marsh
Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Subs: Lawry, Macartney, McCabe, Ponting, Oldfield, Spofforth, O'Reilly

5. mr_mister - India

Gavaskar
Engineer +
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare (6)
Laxman
Mankad (5)
Kapil (1)
Kumble (3)
Srinath (2)
Bedi (4)

Subs - Sehwag, Merchant, Azharuddin, Dhoni, Ashwin, Gupte, Chandrasekhar

6. morgieb - Pakistan

7. Flem274 - Sri Lanka

8. TBA - New Zealand

kingkallis

International Coach
My South African Team:

Openers

Barry Richards /
Graeme Smith /
Bruce Mitchell /

Middle Order Batsman

Graeme Pollock /
Jacques Kallis / o
Dudley Nourse /
Hashim Amla /
AB de Villiers / +

Middle Order / All-rounders

Aubrey Faulkner / o
Mike Procter o /
Shaun Pollock o /
Trevor Goddard / o

Wicket-keepers

Dennis Lindsay + /
Mark Boucher + /

Pace Battery

Dale Steyn o
Allan Donald o
Neil Adcock o

Spinners

Hugh Tayfield o

harsh.ag

West Indies Squad

First XI
Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
George Headley
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Jackie Hendriks +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Lance Gibbs

Subs
Joel Garner
Andy Roberts
Wes Hall
Colin Croft
Courtney Walsh
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott

kingkallis

International Coach
Final South African XI

Barry Richards /
Graeme Smith / (c)
Jacques Kallis / o
Graeme Pollock /
AB de Villiers /
Aubrey Faulkner / o
Dennis Lindsay / +
Mike Procter o /
Dale Steyn o
Hugh Tayfield o
Allan Donald o

Substitutes

Bruce Mitchell
Dudley Nourse
Hashim Amla
Mark Boucher
Shaun Pollock
Neil Adcock
Trevor Goddard

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I was confused between Amla and de Villiers but Kallis can do the job better at No.3 instead of No.5 and de Villiers has unbelievable record at No.5 hence Amla misses out.

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. harsh.ag - West Indies

Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
George Headley
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Jackie Hendriks +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Lance Gibbs

Subs - Joel Garner, Andy Roberts, Wes Hall, Colin Croft, Courtney Walsh, Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott

2. AndrewB - England

3. kingkallis - South Africa

Barry Richards /
Graeme Smith / (c)
Jacques Kallis / o
Graeme Pollock /
AB de Villiers /
Aubrey Faulkner / o
Dennis Lindsay / +
Mike Procter o /
Dale Steyn o
Hugh Tayfield o
Allan Donald o

Subs - Bruce Mitchell, Dudley Nourse, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, Shaun Pollock, Neil Adcock, Trevor Goddard

4. jimmy01 - Australia

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Chappell
Border
Miller
Marsh
Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Subs: Lawry, Macartney, McCabe, Ponting, Oldfield, Spofforth, O'Reilly

5. mr_mister - India

Gavaskar
Engineer +
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare (6)
Laxman
Mankad (5)
Kapil (1)
Kumble (3)
Srinath (2)
Bedi (4)

Subs - Sehwag, Merchant, Azharuddin, Dhoni, Ashwin, Gupte, Chandrasekhar

6. morgieb - Pakistan

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mushtaq Mohammad (5)
Imran Khan (1) *
Rashid Latif +
Wasim Akram (3)
Waqar Younis (2)
Fazal Mahmood (4)

Subs: Zaheer Abbas, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Akhtar, Yasir Shah, Saqlain Mushtaq, Wasim Bari, Misbah-ul-Haq

7. Flem274 - Sri Lanka

8. Grumpy - New Zealand

AndrewB, Flem and Grumpy to post their starting players

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Saeed Anwar
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Younis Khan
4. Javed Miandad
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq
6. Mushtaq Mohammad (5)
7. Imran Khan (1) *
8. Rashid Latif +
9. Wasim Akram (3)
10. Waqar Younis (2)
11. Fazal Mahmood (4)

Subs: Zaheer Abbas, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Akhtar, Yasir Shah, Saqlain Mushtaq, Wasim Bari, Misbah-ul-Haq

mr_mister

i'm interested how this is gonna work. there are gonna be 2 teams (NZ and SL) that obviously need to trade up for better batsmen to compete but they don't have many good players to offer in return. And my India will obviously need an ATG quickie or two - but my best commodity is my pool of spinners and nearly every nation has produced at least 1 ATG in that department so only NZ will be desperate to grab one, i'll find them hard to offload.

Basically nearly every team is already super strong lol and most trades would be kind of arbitrary

i hope this works out well

Last edited:

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
The Grumpy Black Caps (cos we know we're sh!te)

Glenn Turner
John Wright
Bert Sutcliffe
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe
Brendon McCullum (c/wk)
Daniel Vettori
Richard Hadlee
Chris Cairns
Shane Bomd
Jack Cowie

Subs