• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah: Century Man

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that's great. That is a lot of gray. I just find it strange that you would end it by saying "So I just ignore him all together". If that's how you feel then express yourself with all that nuance. This whole "pretend he doesn't exist' is what I'm getting at. I mean there's a lot of to be talked about when it comes to the subject of chucking.

1) the limit of 15 degrees. Given that it was changed in the past, that just shows it's not set in stone so who knows what the limit would be some time in the future.

2) The entire testing process. This is the technical side of the conversation which involves understanding and analysing the methods used, how effective, transparent and fair they are.

And then, even after we agree an all of the above and say yes we agree with 15 degrees and yes we are satisfied the testing process is correct and fair, there's still a lot more to talk about specifically about Ajmal. The very fact that even with the extra advantage he would be getting, there is still considerable skill, hard work, focus, and fitness required to bowl over after over, work out great batsmen and try to defeat them, like every other spin bowler. Obtaining an advantage due to his action does not negate the skills required in all the other facets of spin bowling. I mean I can bend my arm 40 degrees and attempt to bowl and I'm certain I won't be getting anyone out.

Ultimately I don't see why these conversations cannot be had and why it has to be one or the other or ignore altogether.
There's just no objective way to rank Ajmal properly, which is why people ignore him when it comes to comparing him to other spinners.

Of course conversations about chucking, the testing process, the limit, Ajmal's skill, how hard his bowling was to play etc can take place, and the former already has a massive thread about it.

But surely you understand that it is highly, highly probable that Ajmal chucked for a significant portion of his career and we'll never know when it happened. But it did and it's against the rules that others have to abide by so you can't give him a free pass on that and say "he was talented enough to chuck the ball so well, I think he was better than player X." It's just impossible to rate him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Which one is the funnier comment:

Yasir Shah being the best fielder in the world or SL having the best pace-bowling attack in the world?

Burner

International Regular
It's funny because if Ajmal had retired a month before getting banned people would have acknowledged him as one of the best of recent times but now he's completely disregarded as a filthy chucker.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's funny because if Ajmal had retired a month before getting banned people would have acknowledged him as one of the best of recent times but now he's completely disregarded as a filthy chucker.
tbf many people had issues with his action for a long time even when he was playing (before his final banning) but the argument given was that the ICC had cleared him (based on testing done way back in 2009/10). There was something wrong but the testing wasn't done frequently enough to know when the problem went beyond permissible limits. As much as I love Ajmal for the way he played the game there is just no way for me to know how much of his career was legal.

Tragic perhaps, and perhaps also not entirely his own fault (he should have been banned way earlier) but it is what it is.

Daemon

When the facts change, so do peoples opinions.

OverratedSanity

Comparing Ajmal with Murali isn't on imo. With Ajmal, it was obvious to most people who weren't biased that there was something clearly wrong with his action because post 2009/10 his action visibly started degrading and became worse and worse to the naked eye as the years went on.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
imo as the ICC does not expunge records of banned cricketers, what they did is still relevant for comparisons.

viriya

International Captain
First Ashwin now Ajmal

Yasir can't even hold down his own thread
Comparing a player with his peers comes with the territory of appreciating a player - it's not a slight on him.

On topic, I think it's too early to fairly rate Yasir - he hasn't even played 20 tests yet!

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But record doesn't just have to be about a specific milestone. Warne has 708 wickets. That's his record but it also includes for example, wickets in Ashes 2002. which would be the period right before his ban in early 2003. So would you for example say there is an asterisk to Warne's 708 wickets?
Yes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mate, he got suspended for doping. Fact.

So did Yasir Shah.

So did Shoaib and Asif.

Bunch of cheats.

Ishant Sharma is the true hero. He's clean, and you know he's clean because he's so crap he can't be on drugs.

Burgey

Mate, he got suspended for doping. Fact.

So did Yasir Shah.

So did Shoaib and Asif.

Bunch of cheats.

Ishant Sharma is the true hero. He's clean, and you know he's clean because he's so crap he can't be on drugs.
Imagine if he was, and was still that crap.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If he's on PEDs it would potentially explain his ugliness. His teeth mutated or something as a side-effect

listento_me

U19 Captain
lol, dude, you're wayyy too enamored by Yasir at the moment. Relax, wait some time. One great catch doesn't mean he's one of the best fielders going around.
You don't watch enough cricket if you think it's one great catch. He has been awesome at point all throughout his 17 or so tests. He was the best fielder on show in England for the majority of that tour.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Another 10-for for the great one. I can see the haters getting ready with sarky comments but they get weaker and weaker.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Post lords test i have been dissappointed with Yasir.His control which was his biggest strength has been poor while the leg break is not turning enough to trouble good batsmen he is way below his 2015 level and he needs to up his game.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Post lords test i have been dissappointed with Yasir.His control which was his biggest strength has been poor while the leg break is not turning enough to trouble good batsmen he is way below his 2015 level and he needs to up his game.
I think he did exceptional just now on a placid pitch. His control is still there but I agree, his leg spin isnt spinning as much as before but he has refined his ability to set a batsman up.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He has been way below his best in this series in terms of ability but still to pick up 10 wickets on this pitch is a tremendous achievement. He has sort of lost his length but it can happen to anyone. I'm sure he will pick it up soon enough. He loves control, Misbah loves control, so when he doesn't get it right, rest assured it is being looked at.