• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lamb and Atherton autobiographies?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
halfway through the Atherton at the moment, he's a good writer. Dunno what else to say about, if you're a fan of '90s english cricket give it a read.

cpr

International Coach
From what I recall he does talk about it, been a while since I read it.

Remember finding it a very well written read, with an honest and fair evaluation of his career and skills, if anything a little too modest at times. It doesn't hide the difficulties of his reign, but doesn't do too much blaming of others (though I think Illingworth got more stick than anyone else in it)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
From what I recall he does talk about it, been a while since I read it.

Remember finding it a very well written read, with an honest and fair evaluation of his career and skills, if anything a little too modest at times. It doesn't hide the difficulties of his reign, but doesn't do too much blaming of others (though I think Illingworth got more stick than anyone else in it)
That was my take on it, although it's been a very long time since I read it.

I'd be surprised if Lamb's was as good, but who knows.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is the 'dirt in the pocket' affair mentiond in detail?

yeah, he criticises the media for how they blew it up afterwards a bit. The details are a bit hazy but he also mentions how he was very quick to put his hand up and acknowledge he ****ed up

listento_me

U19 Captain
I kinda liked Athertons book, borrowed it from the library many years ago. I think i twas the first sports biography I actually read. He does seem a bit pissy about the how sand incident and it reality at a time when non Pakistan players used to bitch about ball tampering all the time and reverse swing etc, for the England captain to do such a thing wasn't just absurd it should have carried tougher punishment.