• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Carl Hooper vs Marlon Samuels

Who was the better West Indies batsman

• Carl Hooper

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Marlon Samuels

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

slippy888

International Captain
Both have similar careers could be averaging 40 in both formats but mental lapses of concentration while batting was there downfall

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both talented, but Hooper even more so.

Both under-achievers given their talent, but Hooper even more so.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hooper easily. He at least played for the team. Samuels is just a self absorbed **** who always looks like he could care less if the team loses.

Zinzan

Hooper easily. He at least played for the team. Samuels is just a self absorbed **** who always looks like he could care less if the team loses.
There's lots to hate about the way Samuels carries himself, but let's not pretend Hooper wasn't also questioned in the CBF dept. for a long time there. He just wasn't as much of a ****-wit as Marlon.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He also probably was more motivated by the presence of Viv and Haynes and Marshall and Ambrose and Walsh and Lara.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer

Hooper has more tons vs Wasim and Younis than any other batsman.

Samuels has 2 T20 finals.

Both are stylish but convey an air of laziness.

Neck and neck so far for me.

OverratedSanity

Because T20's are so important.
lmao tons vs Wasim and Younis = 2 T20 tons
Typical snobbish test nerds both of you. Samuels' two t20 final innings were awesome. Probably two of the best innings ever played in the format. Clutch as ****.

Plus, Maron has played his fair share of top class innings against quality bowlers. He has a couple of amazing knocks vs Steyn in SA, several gun innings vs Anderson/Broad and a gem against Boult/Southee back in 2012. He's such a random batsman... plays some of the most amazing knocks sometimes, making it look easy against a quality attack but other times is utterly rubbish.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol ****ing CW snobs. Samuels two world T20 final knocks are worth more than Hooper's career.

flibbertyjibber

Give me Hooper any day. The innings he played to win the Trinidad test was every bit as good as the folklore Sehwag/Tendulkar knocks against England years later. Pitch was doing lots and he scores an unbeaten 94 to get the biggest score of the match to win it. If Samuels ever puts in a performance like that I may like him a bit, hit and giggle stuff I care not a jot about.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Remember that game... The headline had it as "Hooper's Heist".. Made me learn that word for the first time that day :)

OverratedSanity

Give me Hooper any day. The innings he played to win the Trinidad test was every bit as good as the folklore Sehwag/Tendulkar knocks against England years later. Pitch was doing lots and he scores an unbeaten 94 to get the biggest score of the match to win it. If Samuels ever puts in a performance like that I may like him a bit, hit and giggle stuff I care not a jot about.
Samuels 120-odd vs NZ in 2012 was is right up there among the best hundreds of the last few years as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not even exaggerating. It was that good.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Interesting comparison. Two players I’ve particularly enjoyed following over the years as you never knew if it was going to be their day or not. Both great to watch when they got going. Both have had some incredible innings across various formats amongst some shocking inconsistency.

I would give the edge to Hooper as a cricketer overall - would say his bowling kept him in the team for a fair chunk of his career though he did play in a far stronger team of course. Reckon their batting is pretty much dead level but I have the feeling Marlon’s contributions with the bat have been slightly more decisive to the West Indies highlighted by the two incredible knocks to deliver global tournament wins to an otherwise chaotic team so I’m going to take Marlon.

Slifer

International Captain
Two major underachievers but Hooper even more so. Was good enough to average between 42 and 45 with the bat (don't care about his bowling). His i think was a mental thing. He would go in and make a sublime 20 or 30 odd no matter the attack (and often without a grill) and then just lob the ball to mid off. Frustrating really because we all knew that he was capable of better, as he showed in the india series in 2002 (i think) and the pakistan series at home in 92. Marlon Samuels is Jamaican lol

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what's the jamacian thing meant to mean? genuinely curious as i have no idea. that's he's a lazy slacker?