• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiers for ranking players

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Because we all enjoy an argument.

Batsmen

Platinum
Bradman

Gold
Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Sangakkara, Lara, Border, SWaugh, Gavaskar, Miandad, Inzamam, Richards, Boycott, DeVilliers, Sobers, Hammond, GChappell, Hutton

Silver
Chanderpaul, Jayawardene, Cook, Younis Khan, Smith, Gooch, Laxman, Clarke, Hayden, Sehwag, Stewart, Gower, Pietersen, MWaugh, Langer, Cowdrey, Greenidge, MoYo, Taylor, Lloyd, Haynes, Amla, Boon, Kirsten, Haynes

Bronze
Atherton, Bell, Ganguly, Fleming, Strauss, Jayasuriya, Gayle

(just did the first page of statsguru)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I thinkt here should be 2 tiers between Platinum and Silver..perhaps Diamond? I feel that the likes of Chanderpaul, YK, Amla, Hayden and Greenidge are a tier above the rest in that category, but not quite in the same tier as Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting. So ideally it should be

Platinum

Diamond - Add your Gold tier here

Gold - Add some of your Silver batsmen here. You can also bring some of the Gold batsmen here perhaps the likes of De Villiers, Dravid, Boycott, Chappell here.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to the Pig Iron Category. I nominate Kamran Akmal.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Because we all enjoy an argument.

Batsmen

Platinum aka the banned uber tier
Bradman

Gold aka the acceptable first round draft picks
Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Sangakkara, Lara, Border, SWaugh, Gavaskar, Miandad, Richards, Boycott, Sobers, Hammond, GChappell, Hutton, Hobbs, Headley

Silver aka the risky picks who usually happen around round 8 or so
Chanderpaul, Jayawardene, Cook, Younis Khan, Smith, Gooch, Laxman, Clarke, Hayden, Sehwag, Stewart, Gower, Pietersen, MWaugh, Langer, Cowdrey, Greenidge, MoYo, Taylor, Lloyd, Haynes, Amla, Boon, Kirsten, Haynes, Inzamam, DeVilliers, Misbah Ul-Haq, Aravinda de Silva, Martin Crowe, Victor Trumper, Neil Harvey

Bronze aka can you think of a novelty draft game in which these blokes get picked
Atherton, Bell, Ganguly, Fleming, Strauss, Jayasuriya, Gayle, Hussain, Samaraweera, Slater

(just did the first page of statsguru)
adjustments + additions

Silver probably two types of players, the 'look on fondly as an underappreciated gem' (Trumper, Harvey, Chanderpaul tier) and 'mostly good Test player who had a brief period of being gun on top of that' (Boon, MWaugh, Misbah)

Last edited:

Daemon

There should be a tier in between Platinum and Gold that lies empty just to show how good Bradman was

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Platinum - Bradman

Diamond - Tendulkar, Sobers, Hobbs

Gold - G Pollock, Headley, H Sutcliffe, Barrington, Weekes, Hammond, Sangakkara, Walcott, Hutton, Kallis, G Chappell, Lara, Miandad, Dravid, Ponting, Gavaskar, S Waugh, AB Senior, Viv, Worrell, Compton

Silver - Nourse, Younis, Yousuf, A Flower, Chanderpaul, Amla, Hayden, AB Junior, Jayawardene, Inzamam, Sehwag, Mitchell, A Jackson

Pure Bronze - Paynter, S Smith, Root, Hussey, Rahane, Williamson, Clarke, Samaraweera

Impure Bronze - Ryder, Pujara, Bland, Mominul

In case you're worrying about the above random collection of names, I was lazy and picked up the 50 highest averages with 30 innings each

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
adjustments + additions

Silver probably two types of players, the 'look on fondly as an underappreciated gem' (Trumper, Harvey, Chanderpaul tier) and 'mostly good Test player who had a brief period of being gun on top of that' (Boon, MWaugh, Misbah)
That's difficult. I'd probably put Harvey in gold, and I'd put Trumper in gold definitely. Trumper was the greatest batsman in the world. There aren't enough superlatives. And a genius on the wet wickets of the time. A cut above everyone else.

Some are difficult. Boon was the best batsman in the world for a time, but overall you'd have to rank him not as gold. Whatever happens, he'd be above Hayden for me.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Grandmaster - Bradman
Master -
Diamond -
Platnium -
Gold -
Silver -
Bronze -

SC2 rankings 4 lyf

Zinzan

Platinum - Bradman

Diamond - Tendulkar, Sobers, Hobbs

Gold - G Pollock, Headley, H Sutcliffe, Barrington, Weekes, Hammond, Sangakkara, Walcott, Hutton, Kallis, G Chappell, Lara, Miandad, Dravid, Ponting, Gavaskar, S Waugh, AB Senior, Viv, Worrell, Compton

Silver - Nourse, Younis, Yousuf, A Flower, Chanderpaul, Amla, Hayden, AB Junior, Jayawardene, Inzamam, Sehwag, Mitchell, A Jackson

Pure Bronze - Paynter, S Smith, Root, Hussey, Rahane, Williamson, Clarke, Samaraweera

Impure Bronze - Ryder, Pujara, Bland, Mominul

In case you're worrying about the above random collection of names, I was lazy and picked up the 50 highest averages with 30 innings each
Surprised to see an Indian placing Tendulkar in a different class than the likes of Hammond & Lara.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Surprised to see an Indian placing Tendulkar in a different class than the likes of Hammond & Lara.
That explains it. I think I'd put Viv and Lara above Tendulkar, Sanga and Ponting.

Sanga is a bit odd though. He seemed to enter a mind-over-matter state in his last two years, as though he were determined to will himself into sheer greatness. I go back and forth on how to rank him. I don't feel like he was every properly tested at his peak.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
What about Azharuddin? I get that he's generally forgotten by Indian fans, but the man does have 22 centuries, often bringing them up in style.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
would rate Tendulkar higher even without considering longevity...after considering longevity, there's none comparable to Tendulkar except Hobbs and Sobers

but yea, must be because I'm Indian

indiaholic

International Captain
would rate Tendulkar higher even without considering longevity...after considering longevity, there's none comparable to Tendulkar except Hobbs and Sobers

but yea, must be because I'm Indian
Growing up, if you were a cool kid you were supposed to rate Dravid(lol) and Lara above Tendulkar. Clearly you were not cool weldone.