• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricketing narratives that aren't true

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That I agree with

@topic

You deserve to be given out lbw when you don't offer a shot, regardless of whether the ball was going on to hit the stumps. Another massively annoying piece of nonsense chappelli pushes.
Obviously you don't deserve to get given out if the ball's barely hitting a 2nd set of stumps but I don't think batsmen should be complaining at marginal calls where they're not offering a shot.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
i'm not sure if this was ever a misconception or not but the fact that SL batsmen play spin well. certainly commentators seemed to suggest us Lankans were good at it.

i can think of only a handful of players that were top class against spin from SL since the 90s. Mahela is one. Sanga was ordinary. Maybe Samaraweera.

The 90s teams were pretty good. Any side since they have been fairly average.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wasn't my opinion when Starc's cue end leading edge in Santner's 9th over went for six...
Despite Eden Park in theory having straight boundaries where you can block it for 6, it doesn't seem to produce that many high scoring games. Both New Zealand's total in this series were around the 280 mark weren't they?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Good batting sides can definitely take advantage of NZ's small grounds just like in India. I don't know if the 2 new ball rule has benefited the fast bowlers by swinging more but when India toured NZ in 2009 or whatever, Tendulkar scored 163 and I remember the games being high scoring in general. Ashwin and Jadeja almost pulled off an impossible OD chase by clearing the ropes at will the last time too. Maybe this time was the exception?

Flem274*

123/5
a place like eden park (which cops most of the flak) is a swing bowlers ground. the most memorable moment is the dribble spouted before the world cup pool game there then the events that happened, but basically auckland is warm and rainy so the ball swings and swings late. bowlers who bowl short and pretend spinners get pulverised. it's happened a lot.

there have been high scoring games of course, like everywhere else in the world but in nz if you have good swing and seam bowlers then you're always a chance of rolling a team. if you don't have this but some excellent spinners then you might be ok, and if you're india, sri lanka or bangladesh and trying to get by with pretend spinners not called daniel vettori then you're screwed because pretend spin comes to the southern hemisphere to die.

nz have had bowling success at home in the southee/boult period and back in the bond/mills period. touring sides have often done a number on NZ too. even the windies decimated NZ at eden park once because i think it was sammy of all people who got some movement.

ATG batsmen like sachin, kohli and dhoni of course have scored some big scores because they're really really good.

tl;dr - conditions, ground size, and quality of batsmen/bowlers in nz odis can sometimes lead to things escalating very quickly to either end of the extreme score spectrum. writing this though makes me think it could apply equally to other countries. england is pretty fun for odis.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Hussain ''Stokes is a wicket taker, even if he is expensive' - s/r 37.4. If you are saying that about anyone it would be Starc s/r 24.7

Cook on Duckett - He is a very talented guy with a lot ahead of him and it’s amazing chatting to him saying ‘I thought I was a pretty good player of spin’, and he is a good player of spin.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Despite Eden Park in theory having straight boundaries where you can block it for 6, it doesn't seem to produce that many high scoring games. Both New Zealand's total in this series were around the 280 mark weren't they?
Look at the two batting lineups though, wouldn't cross 300 if you bowled U13s at them.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Something that I find annoying is the lack of good statistics surrounding fielding.

When discussing all-time greats, people often don't care about fielding ability which is the one skill that directly contributes to their team's chances of winning, regardless of whether they happen to make a duck that day or not.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Something that I find annoying is the lack of good statistics surrounding fielding.

When discussing all-time greats, people often don't care about fielding ability which is the one skill that directly contributes to their team's chances of winning, regardless of whether they happen to make a duck that day or not.
I'll admit I do check out Viriya's imperfect fielding stats, because at least it gives you a rough number of dropped catches etc.