• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phillip Hughes Inquest

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
What was the point of this 'inquest'? No greater example of the ridiculous political correctness engulfing Australia. "Was there malicious intent in the delivery".. "did Bollinger threaten to kill him".. the rest of the cricket world must be laughing at Aus.

I get the family must be shell shocked. A 1 in a billion injury etc. But an offer from CA to pay for unlimited therapy for the family would've been time and money better spent than this farcical 'inquest'.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
What was the point of this 'inquest'? No greater example of the ridiculous political correctness engulfing Australia. "Was there malicious intent in the delivery".. "did Bollinger threaten to kill him".. the rest of the cricket world must be laughing at Aus.

I get the family must be shell shocked. A 1 in a billion injury etc. But an offer from CA to pay for unlimited therapy for the family would've been time and money better spent than this farcical 'inquest'.
WTF seriously? This inquest is almost certainly going to prompt action by CA from the recommendations Burgey highlighted. It also thoroughly examined the incident and confirmed no one was at fault (though obviously areas were found that could be improved upon). This is immensely valuable.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Oh, let me clarify. I completely understand investigating why the ambulance apparantly took so long, helmets etc. But any suggestion of interviewing NSW players to 'investigate' malice/sledging etc is ridiculous.

Maybe I've been suckered by the media. That's been the lead story they've gone with for the whole coverage.

I should have said the inquest should have been done without badgering the players about whether they sledged/wanted to bounce Phil.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well all avenues warrant discussion, isn't the fault of the process if the media wants to make a story of it. Also maybe a slight case of the lawyer for the family playing it up more than it would otherwise have deserved.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Before I go, though. I'm really sorry to say this, but you're an imbecile. The emboldened line proves it. People who put anything and everything they disagree with down to political correctness are always brain dead halfwits who listen to RW talk back and read Andrew Bolt columns.

How the **** you can equate a procedure that's been in place for centuries to investigate deaths with "political correctness engulfing Australia" is beyond me. The only thing engulfing Australia are the frothings of people whinging about the creeping threat of political correctness. A threat which doesn't exist.

Midwinter

State Captain
Just like to thank Burgey for providing the information about the role of the coroner and the inquest, as well providing context for this particular one in this thread.

And for answering all the questions and rebutting incorrect comments from those of us who didn't know why inquest was held and what the outcome was supposed to be.

Thanks

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Before I go, though. I'm really sorry to say this, but you're an imbecile. The emboldened line proves it. People who put anything and everything they disagree with down to political correctness are always brain dead halfwits who listen to RW talk back and read Andrew Bolt columns.

How the **** you can equate a procedure that's been in place for centuries to investigate deaths with "political correctness engulfing Australia" is beyond me. The only thing engulfing Australia are the frothings of people whinging about the creeping threat of political correctness. A threat which doesn't exist.
I clarified that I was talking only about the inqiury into sledging/threatening to hurt the batsman. It seemed like the majority of the days of the inquest focussed on that. And no I don't read Andrew Bolt, or listen to talkback.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Wrong

Correct.

On this very sad subject.

I would question the statement that there was no malice in the bowling. At all levels there frequently is, but there's a huge difference between malice and even intent to injure, let alone kill.

The Coroner, of course, has to come up with suggestions - it justifies his work - but, at the end of the day, this was truly a freak accident. Despite how hard a cricket ball is the last time a batsman in a FC game was killed, while batting, by a blow to the head was (I think) in 1870.

Umpires already work together very closely - even in top Club cricket. In fact the level of on field communication has increased dramatically to my certain knowledge in the last 8 years, even in the last 3. They consult (often without the players realising) on many things, including bouncers, frequently with supporting guidance.

Short of having full medical facilities - in essence an operating theatre and surgeons - at the ground what provisions could seriously be made that might (and only might) have helped in this situation.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm out of this for now I think. cbf any more.
C'mon mate.........don't let one "imbecile" stop you giving what the rest of us have really appreciated, that is your professional insight into all of this.

I wanna second Athlai's thanks for your contributions in this thread............you've kinda been the voice that we needed to hear but didn't want to if that makes sense. A few of us have mentioned that The Princes's death has affected us more than any other non related loss.......we're all very much emotionally caught up in this whole thing. And having read your tribute to Phil I know that you are too, so I think it's a real credit to you that that whilst feeling the same emotion you have been able to lay this out for us from a legal POV.

Serious kudos Burgey.