• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Draft By Nation: All Time XI

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I take slight issue with the combination of picking names out of a hat and picking from teams in order of how they're ranked. if it was just names out of a hat, I think it'd be fine as whoever is going last could get a top 1-2 player from whichever nation they want, but given the random nature it's entirely possible for someone to consistently pick the 8-10th best player from a country most rounds whilst someone else might always get the best 1-3 players each round.

Probabilities aren't too high but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually might withdraw from this one. I'm not much of a fan of the names from a hat concept either. Obviously the strategy here is to get your Zim/bang & associate picks in early. Whoever gets those countries first will have too much of an advantage.

Best of luck everyone.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I take slight issue with the combination of picking names out of a hat and picking from teams in order of how they're ranked. if it was just names out of a hat, I think it'd be fine as whoever is going last could get a top 1-2 player from whichever nation they want, but given the random nature it's entirely possible for someone to consistently pick the 8-10th best player from a country most rounds whilst someone else might always get the best 1-3 players each round.

Probabilities aren't too high but it's not outside the realms of possibility.
I actually might withdraw from this one. I'm not much of a fan of the names from a hat concept either. Obviously the strategy here is to get your Zim/bang & associate picks in early. Whoever gets those countries first will have too much of an advantage.

Best of luck everyone.
Maybe I didn't explain it properly.

The first round is in the order of people who replied to the thread, but everyone will be picking a Pakistani player. Next will be India but the order of posters picks will be decided randomly. And so on for each round.

I can't make it more random than that tbh.
I just wana reiterate everyone in each round will be picking a player from the same country.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Maybe I didn't explain it properly.

The first round is in the order of people who replied to the thread, but everyone will be picking a Pakistani player. Next will be India but the order of posters picks will be decided randomly. And so on for each round.

I can't make it more random than that tbh.
I just wana reiterate everyone in each round will be picking a player from the same country.
Fixed countries per round kinda takes the fun out of it though. As soon as the round order is announced you know who is going to get what basically. There's no tactics or thinking to it. The least you could do is reverse the following round i.e. for round 2, you pick the names out of the hat, and then for round 3 it's the same order, but reversed.

If you don't have the countries locked each round, any disadvantage caused by your name coming out of the hat consistently towards the end is negated by being able to potentially choose a top player for a country no one has picked from yet.

Random ≠ fair

listento_me

U19 Captain
Fixed countries per round kinda takes the fun out of it though. As soon as the round order is announced you know who is going to get what basically. There's no tactics or thinking to it. The least you could do is reverse the following round i.e. for round 2, you pick the names out of the hat, and then for round 3 it's the same order, but reversed.

If you don't have the countries locked each round, any disadvantage caused by your name coming out of the hat consistently towards the end is negated by being able to potentially choose a top player for a country no one has picked from yet.

Random ≠ fair
I'm going to keep the team idea the same but I get what you're saying about the possibility of a number of posters being picked at the bottom.

So the next round will be reversed order, round 3 will be random and round 4 will be back to being reverse and so on. Should be as fair as possible.

listento_me

U19 Captain
So, I thought I'd do a draft that hasn't been done on here...at least I think so. I had a quick look through search and didn't find anything like this, hopefully I haven't missed anything.

The premise is pretty simple, each test playing nation and one associate, has to be represented in your team. So that's a player each from the 10 test nations and one from any of the associates. I'm also going to restrict to cricketers who have played in the 21st century ONLY, thus restricting the obvious names that often pop up.

Rules:

1. Any player from a test playing nation, must have played a minimum of 15 tests AND 30 ODIs in this century, so that's beginning January 1st 2000.

2. Associate players have to have played a minimum of 20 ODIs AND/OR 15 first class matches in this century. Associates are defined as any country which can participate in an international 50 over match but does not have test status, e.g. Afghanistan. Players from associate countries that have played for test playing nations can also be included, as long as they meet the requirements.

3. You can ONLY pick one player from each country.

4. Batting line ups can be flexible, so you can promote someone up to open, if that's what your team requires. There is no limit on how many or how few matches a particular batsman has played at a particular position.

5. The first round will be in the order shown below. The second rounds will be reversed. The 3rd round will be randomised and we will alternate from then on.

6. Each round will be taking a pick from ONE country and we will go in order of the current test rankings (before the completion of the India/NZ test)

7. If you fail to make your pick, you can make up for it at the end of the round.

There you go. Nothing too complicated but hopefully a bit different.

I'll wait for 8 responses, so if you wana join in, just post here. More of you can join in if there's demand and the number can be upped.

In so far:
1. NZTailender - Inzamam Ul-Haq
2. morgieb
3. The Battlers Prince - Shoaib Akhtar
4. Shady Slim - Waqar Younis
5. AndrewB
6. kingkalis
7. RedHill
8. Stace (if he still wants to)
9. listento_me (me)

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'll make a pick in a sec but can i just say (ofc after this round) it's better to not lock in countries to be picked from, letting people just pick from any country when they want is better imo

listento_me

U19 Captain
i'll make a pick in a sec but can i just say (ofc after this round) it's better to not lock in countries to be picked from, letting people just pick from any country when they want is better imo
Noway, the guys picking first would get an unfair advantage. It's better and more tactical too because people will think about what teams are coming up and what players they have a cahnce of getting. Otherwise it becomes a lackadaisical and simple draft.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Noway, the guys picking first would get an unfair advantage. It's better and more tactical too because people will think about what teams are coming up and what players they have a cahnce of getting. Otherwise it becomes a lackadaisical and simple draft.
yeah true i suppose this setup means that a person who gets the final pick of one country gets first pick of the ATG of the next so it's a fair point