• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is so bad about blessing Mahwire?

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not saying he is a good bowler. But what is so bad about him that makes as hopeless as everybody points him out to be? Accuracy? lack of movement? what doesnt he do to make him good?

It may seem strange, but I have hardly seen him bowl.

Eclipse

International Debutant
He is not International standerd but he is not as bad as some people think.

He can move the ball around a little bit and while he tends to be very expensive I dont think his accuracy is that bad he just has the wrong idea about what a good line and length is.

Jimmy

Cricket Spectator
Blessing Mahwire isnt that bad a bowler it is just that he bowls gentle medium pace. i saw him a bit when he was in australia and he didnt bowl that badly. just too slow.

he is from zimbabwe though and they have no-one who can bowl

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe have plenty of people who can bowl. They just choose not to pick them, but thats a different story.

I think Blessing Mahwire has the potential to be a decent bowler. He is still young, and didnt bowl THAT bad against Australia. And it is Australia we are talking about.

He moved the ball a bit, and was fairly accurate. he wasnt express, but he wasnt any slower than Hondo. In fact, Ide say he was faster than Hondo.

He just needs the psychology of bowling. Where to bowl when batsmen are doing different things etc, and he will be decent. But Brent, Friend, Blignaut, Streak and Hoffman and even Ervine on occasions are all ahead of him IMO, and he shouldnt be picked yet.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Blessing Mahwire is the personification of Zimbabwe's unofficial race policy... Guys like Hamilton Masakadza and Taibu were fast tracked, and they look to have something about them... But Mahwire and Sibanda are just blatantly substandard... Especially when there are guys like Gavin Ewing, Coventry and that Williams guy in the A side who cant get a decent run in the side....

Craig

World Traveller
Prince EWS said:
He just needs the psychology of bowling. Where to bowl when batsmen are doing different things etc, and he will be decent. But Brent, Friend, Blignaut, Streak and Hoffman and even Ervine on occasions are all ahead of him IMO, and he shouldnt be picked yet.
Hoffman? Has he even played for Zimbabwe?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR Blessing Mahwire touched 140 ks in Australia in the SCG Test. He is certainly not slow!
His problem is he is massively wayward. As wayward as him, you're not much of a bowler.
It's a shame, as if he were to not be picked, have some time to improve his accuracy, he could actually be quite a good bowler because he can certainly swing the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Also I have my doubts over his action.
Certainly it looked suspect from one angle in a VB Series game; IMO it would be best if they sent him to UWA for some investigation.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I consider Mahwire the greatest bowler ever to grace the game...I mean afterall he got the best batsman ever to play cricket (Michael Clarke) leaving one in a ODI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:lol: :lol:
Just goes to show, doesn't it - having the wicket of a good batsman against your name doesn't mean anything more than having a tail-ender who can't bat for s**t if the stroke was poor on either player's part. ;)
A poor stroke is a poor stroke, and the name of the batsman who plays it says nothing about the bowler.

a massive zebra

International Captain
They are completely different types of bowler, but is Blessing Mahwire really as bad as Richard Dawson, or even as bad as Asoka De Silva was?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
They are completely different types of bowler, but is Blessing Mahwire really as bad as Richard Dawson, or even as bad as Asoka De Silva was?
I rate Dawson more than Mahwire... I think Mahwire has come straight out of the Hershelle Gibbs school of pace bowling :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Is that why you started this thread?
:rolleyes:

No I created it to find out why he is so bad as people make him out to be.

If you read you would of worked it out.

Obviously not :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
:rolleyes:

No I created it to find out why he is so bad as people make him out to be.

If you read you would of worked it out.

Obviously not :rolleyes:
Come on, let's just get on with the discussion instead of playground insults.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
I rate Dawson more than Mahwire... I think Mahwire has come straight out of the Hershelle Gibbs school of pace bowling :lol:
When Mahwire gets it right, he can be dangerous. From what I've heard and read of Richard Dawson, even when he gets it right, he's hardly threatening.

Mahwire bowled one spell (3 or 4 overs) which really impressed me in Zimbabwe. He got the line and length right and got it to swing nicely, troubling the left-handers a fair bit. His problem is landing the ball on the right spot, which is something he should learn in domestic cricket.

Honestly I consider Mahwire a more potent wicket-taker than Mbangwa, although Mbangwa is far more economical. Mbangwa never struck me as a bowler who could get quality batsmen out.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mahwire is one of those players who would struggle to make 1st grade in Sydney (Im not joking) , he's not as bad as people make him out to be , but he's no where near international standard & basically everyone (including the man himself) knows theres only 1 reason he's in the side & its completely unrelated to cricketing ability.

They must have 10 better bowlers (bare minimum) sitting around twiddling their thumbs back in Zimbabwe , Gary Brent could do a job.
And I think Nkala had a bit of potential , or at least he was better with Mahwire & could offer a bit with the bat aswell.

BTW does anyone know where Bryan Strang is these days ?