• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2016/17

Midwinter

State Captain
Good win by the Vics
Loved the Quiney cameo at the end of their innings

( good work by his fanboi Ian Healy) :)

Well bowled by John Coleman on debut.

CA XI having a poor start like last year, hope they can improve like last year

Appreciating Tom Moody's commentary and that he gets his fellow commentators to talk about cricket..First time I had heard Justin Langer ever say anything remotely interesting !

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Tom Moody is a rarity in Australian commentary in that he actually seems to know what he's talking about

Spikey

good god the waugh hype machine is gonna be unbearable after his performances here

TheJediBrah

There's already been quite a few quicks in this matador cup that are a hell of a lot better than the likes of Joe Mennie. How far would Ben Cutting have been off the pace? He would be a valuable bat as well and probably a better bowling option then Mennie, Worrall and Tremain.

Just continues to baffle me that these were the guys selected to play in the ODIs.

Does Joe Mennie even play One Day cricket for SA?

Spark

Global Moderator
There's already been quite a few quicks in this matador cup that are a hell of a lot better than the likes of Joe Mennie. How far would Ben Cutting have been off the pace? He would be a valuable bat as well and probably a better bowling option then Mennie, Worrall and Tremain.

Just continues to baffle me that these were the guys selected to play in the ODIs.

Does Joe Mennie even play One Day cricket for SA?
Played 25 List A matches, averages ~45 with the ball and has never taken a 5-for.

He's 27, btw. It's literally as if they decided to keep all the decent bowlers at home to play domestically.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Played 25 List A matches, averages ~45 with the ball and has never taken a 5-for.

He's 27, btw. It's literally as if they decided to keep all the decent bowlers at home to play domestically.
What seems to have happened is that they picked Worrall, Mennie and Tremain for Australia A in four-day cricket based on good Shield seasons, then kept them around for the one day series of that A tour because they'd done well in the four dayers... and then just called them straight up to the ODI side when there were 10 injuries from that.

Tremain was available for every Matador Cup game last season and played none of them. Worrall played about half of them and Mennie played most of them but was terrible.

SeamUp

International Coach

It is just absolutely bizarre that everyone is injured though. I would probably say Paris/Behrendorff are next in line but they even recovering from injuries.

Who else is there ? Cutting ? Bird ? Richardson ? Bollinger ? Sandhu ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is just absolutely bizarre that everyone is injured though. I would probably say Paris/Behrendorff are next in line but they even recovering from injuries.

Who else is there ? Cutting ? Bird ? Richardson ? Bollinger ? Sandhu ?
Paris still isn't fit and Behrendorff is just coming back as you said. Abbott is only just coming back now as well.

The other blokes you listed are the options who should've been ahead of Mennie/Worrall IMO. It's really weird that Richardson who has a good List A record and was actually reasonably recently playing ODIs has been over-looked, but the rest all have at least understandable reasons for being left out (although perhaps not compared to who was picked).

morgieb

Richardson and Tye being left out for Mennie and Worrall is bizarre. At least with Tremain he did extremely well in that A-team quad series.

Top_Cat

I think you guys are all making the mistake of assuming the selectors were actually interested in winning the series. Without the best available quicks, they were up against it anyway so for me it was about having a look at Worrall, Mennie and Tremain against top opposition for future Ashes series' and a little bit of a reward for good Shield seasons. We now know that Mennie and Worrall should not be considered for higher honours no matter how many Shield poles they take, or, if they did well, you have reliable back-up for Starc, Hazlewood and Pattinson. That's very useful info for the price of a meaningless cash-cow ODI series without burning the guys you really like who are still developing. Using stand-alone ODI series' as Test auditions is a grand Aussie tradition.

For what it's worth, I think Tremain showed a little too.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope Jimmy's innings aren't this short and disappointing in other spheres of his life.

TheJediBrah

Massively overrated is Jimmy Peirson IMO. I don't see what the hype is about.

Dropping Chris Hartley for him is a disgrace.

Gnske

Idea had to have been a potential 100 off 70 > 100 off 120 and the fact Hartley will retire no doubt in the next couple of seasons. But he's just too impulsive to ever deliver anything but a 17 off 9.

Also Heals has had an entire year to learn Labuschagne's goddamn name and he's still pronouncing it like he has 12 dozen extra chromosomes.

SeamUp

International Coach
Idea had to have been a potential 100 off 70 > 100 off 120 and the fact Hartley will retire no doubt in the next couple of seasons. But he's just too impulsive to ever deliver anything but a 17 off 9.

Also Heals has had an entire year to learn Labuschagne's goddamn name and he's still pronouncing it like he has 12 dozen extra chromosomes.
So not Lubber-shane anymore ?

Gnske

Lab-oo-shag-nee

Quite displeasing to the ear. I bet he's actually right and its the only thing he does know about QLD grade players

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Lol that's pretty optimistic if they thought Jimmy Peirson was going to score 100 at all, let alone off 70 balls

and pretty sure it's Laboo-Zunya, like Lasagne