• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the 2 best bowlers ever: 60 spinners + 100 pacemen in 2 separate contests

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IT BEGINS

So I'm leaving all long weekend to go on a houseboat with some mates, may as well get this underway now

the first couple of heats will go for 3-4 days I guess unless someone wants to tally the votes and start the next 2 (but i dont expect anyone to/wont mind if nobody does) but every heat thereafter will only last a day

since theres like 200 people to sift thru total im gonna run the spin and pace contest at once, so it doesnt take forever. there will be a lot of different rules for how many players u submit to vote in each heat due to the disproportionate sizes of the groups so read carefully

Best Spinner ever, Round 1, Heat 1:

CHOOSE YOUR TOP 6 SPINNERS

Australia (12 players)

Hugh Trumble
Jack Saunders
Arthur Mailey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bert Ironmonger
Bill O'Reilly
Chuck Fleetwood-Smith
Jack Iverson
Richie Benaud
Ashley Mallett
Shane Warne
Stuart MacGill

Best Pacemen ever, Round 1, Heat 1:

CHOOSE YOUR TOP 8 PACEMEN

South Africa (16 players)

Peter Pollock
Peter Heine
Neil Adcock
Trevor Goddard
Garth Le Roux
Vincent Van Der Bijl
Mike Procter
Fanie De Villiers
Craig Matthews
Alan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Jacques Kallis
Mahkaya Ntini
Dale Steyn
Vernon Philander
Morne Morkel

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
George Lohmann
Tom Richardson
Bert Ironmonger
Jack Saunders
Yasir Shah
Charlie Turner
Frank Tyson
Frederick Spofforth
Shane Bond
Bobby Peel

^ None of the above played 20 tests but I think deserve a spot.

Anyway, I admit I ignored FC records, if those are considered I have no problem with players like Cowie getting picked.
I just threw 20 out there. Maybe its 10 tests or fewer you have a problem with.

Also Caddick didn't play the majority of his tests against Australia. He played around 30%. If you proportion the percentage of his games evenly across all of his opponents he still averages 29. 31 if you remove Zimbabwe. So even if you proportion his games against Australia it would have no effect on his overall average.

mr_mister

doesnt matter i deemed it not a big deal to stick to the rule of exactly 100, now cast your vote bambino!

viriya

International Captain
I just threw 20 out there. Maybe its 10 tests or fewer you have a problem with.

Also Caddick didn't play the majority of his tests against Australia. He played around 30%. If you proportion the percentage of his games evenly across all of his opponents he still averages 29. 31 if you remove Zimbabwe. So even if you proportion his games against Australia it would have no effect on his overall average.
Why would Tests vs other teams be proportioned? A pretty steep standard - why do that just for him?

the big bambino

International Captain
Why would Tests vs other teams be proportioned? A pretty steep standard - why do that just for him?
You can do it for anyone you like. I did it for Caddick bcos you made an issue out of the tests he played against Australia. So I just proportioned his averages as if he played 8 games against each opponent. His ave stays at 29 so it seems his matches v Aus did not unduly impact on his average.

Now to vote I guess. Maybe tonight.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
IT BEGINS

So I'm leaving all long weekend to go on a houseboat with some mates, may as well get this underway now

the first couple of heats will go for 3-4 days I guess unless someone wants to tally the votes and start the next 2 (but i dont expect anyone to/wont mind if nobody does) but every heat thereafter will only last a day

since theres like 200 people to sift thru total im gonna run the spin and pace contest at once, so it doesnt take forever. there will be a lot of different rules for how many players u submit to vote in each heat due to the disproportionate sizes of the groups so read carefully

Best Spinner ever, Round 1, Heat 1:

CHOOSE YOUR TOP 6 SPINNERS

Australia (12 players)

Arthur Mailey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
Richie Benaud
Shane Warne
Stuart MacGill

Best Pacemen ever, Round 1, Heat 1:

CHOOSE YOUR TOP 8 PACEMEN

South Africa (16 players)

Peter Pollock
Peter Heine
Neil Adcock
Mike Procter
Alan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Mahkaya Ntini
Dale Steyn

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Spinners
Mailey
Grimmett
Ironmonger
O'Reilly
Benaud
Warne

Pacers
Peter Pollock
Neil Adcock
Garth Le Roux
Vincent Van Der Bijl
Mike Procter
Alan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn

viriya

International Captain
You can do it for anyone you like. I did it for Caddick bcos you made an issue out of the tests he played against Australia. So I just proportioned his averages as if he played 8 games against each opponent. His ave stays at 29 so it seems his matches v Aus did not unduly impact on his average.

Now to vote I guess. Maybe tonight.
If you remove his Aus, he averages 26. Simple.

mr_mister

Mailey
Ironmonger
Grimmett
O'Reilly
Warne
MacGill

&

Peter Pollock
Neil Adcock
Vincent Van der Bijl
Mike Procter
Fanie De Villiers
Allan Donald
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn

the big bambino

International Captain
If you remove his Aus, he averages 26. Simple.
You don't think you are being a tad selective there? What if we remove his stats against NZ? Then he averages around 31? See how we can play this game?

Anyway if you remove his stats v Aus then your qualification for rating him disappears.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
You don't think you are being a tad selective there? What if we remove his stats against NZ? Then he averages around 31? See how we can play this game?

Anyway if you remove his stats v Aus then your qualification for rating him disappears.
I'm saying he played a lot of matches vs the GOAT team, which affected his record more than a non-Eng bowler. If he had played for NZ where he was born he would've had a mid-25s average most likely and started his career earlier too.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm saying he played a lot of matches vs the GOAT team, which affected his record more than a non-Eng bowler. If he had played for NZ where he was born he would've had a mid-25s average most likely and started his career earlier too.
If he played for NZ then you would have to take out his v NZ stats and his average would have been 31.

Sheesh.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia

Warne
O'reilly
Benaud
Grimmett
Mailey
Macgill

South Africa

Pollocks
Adcock
Proctor
Le Roux
Van der Bijl
Donald
Steyn

mr_mister

good god almighty! good god almighty he killed him! as god as my witness viriya has been broken in half! somebody stop the damn match!

Last edited: