• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Herschelle Gibbs

SeamUp

International Coach
The most multi-talented Sportsman to play test cricket

Herschelle Gibbs.

The biggest sporting freak to have played test cricket ?

Still holds the 100m sprint record at Bishops and was provincial athlete.

Offered a football trial at Arsenal.

A rugby freak that played under-age provincially & was destined to play for the Springboks.

And FC cricket debut at 16 and & had a good international career (fielder/batsman) and entertained.

Was just thinking because while I know Eddie Barlow/Jeff Wilson/Erroll Stewart/Peter Kirsten & many from the older era did the double in England (Stuart Leary, Denis Compton)... bigger natural sporting freak than AB De Villiers.

Put your one across.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Our Schoolboy provincial Craven Week final of 1992 where a certain Gibbs was fly-half. Excuse some of the afrikaans.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Vic Richardson.

Resume:
- Captain of the Australian Test team
- Captain of the South Australian, Australian Rules team
- Represented Australia in baseball
- Represented South Australia in golf
- Winner of a South Australian state tennis title

His Wikipedia also mentions his lacrosse, basketball and swimming achievements.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Denis Compton comes to my mind. Played for arsenal as well iirc
Won an FA Cup winner's medal with them, too.

CB Fry? Another Test cricketer who played in an FA Cup final (and one match for England), and he also equalled the world record in the long jump.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C. B. Fry – played for England at cricket and football, and held the world record for the long jump, is worth a mention just quietly.

Midwinter

State Captain
A few of CB Fry's fanbois here.

Has Gibb's ever been offered the throne of a minor nation ? anywhere ?

I suppose we will have to wait to see if he can outdo Fry's party trick

"but even well into his seventies he claimed he was still able to perform his party trick: leaping from a stationary position backwards onto a mantelpiece."

:)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few of CB Fry's fanbois here.

Has Gibb's ever been offered the throne of a minor nation ? anywhere ?

I suppose we will have to wait to see if he can outdo Fry's party trick

"but even well into his seventies he claimed he was still able to perform his party trick: leaping from a stationary position backwards onto a mantelpiece."

:)
Video evidence please.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Slightly less outrageous as Fry, great NZ batsman Martin Donnelly also played rugby for England. Player 767, strangely they list him under his nickname 'Squib' Donnelly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_national_rugby_union_players
Haha they even call him that on his scrum.com profile:
Squib Donnelly | Rugby Union | Players and Officials | ESPN Scrum

It must have been almost unheard of for him to actually be referred to as Martin for that to happen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd expect most international sportsmen to have played any sport at schoolboy level to a very good degree.

Pretty sure Phil Neville was in Flintoff's junior Lancashire side before he picked football.