• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Fielding XI - Cross Formats/Per Format

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Post and discuss your XI's for the best fielding sides either across formats or per format. Haven't seen one done afaik in recent times, and after the latest efforts of India really made me think of all the terrible things this game can produce, I wanted to think of who can actually field well .

Any side with Englishmen can be immediately disqualified. I'll start off with something utterly uninformed for a Cross Format XI.

Warner - One of the easiest picks, exceptional in everything he does

Rahane - The only good fielder India will ever produce, can't think of any other opener across formats apart from Guptill in LO cricket who offers much

Williamson - Another easy pick, one area I've never been sure about is his ground fielding (I have literally no attention span despite enjoying this archaic game but I can't recall anything about his ground fielding to the point I swear when the ball goes to him its always in the air)

S. Smith - Easy when you consider how excellent his reach is along with his acrobatic skill and ability to catch so easily diving forward at slip. Yet he's prone to a mistake not too irregularly

Bavuma - I was going to go with ABdV, but firstly I hate his guts and secondly this is such an excellent side already in the infield that what's needed is a gun short leg (Rahane could do that too in truth)

Maxwell - In my mind the best fielder in the world. Nothing is beyond Glenn Fieldswell, except how to flee to NSW

Dhoni - You know things are dire when all the Test keepers are so dodgy we still have to look to a semi-retired old man to be the standard. Not to say he isn't exceptional however.

Starc - Isn't often mentioned but is incredibly reliable in the outfield, should look ungainly diving for catches in the outfield yet he makes it seem beneath him

Steyn - I couldn't think of anyone else so I went with a man who would rather fall on his bat than let you down

Boult - I've run out of things to say

Lyon - Deserves all the plaudits for being able to field so well despite having such a misshapen and off-balanced head

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Boult's an excellent fielder ftr, taken some absolute blinders in his time. Really puts it on the line at times for someone who really shouldn't (i.e. the injury prone fast bowler species(.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India. Best fielding team in the world, as Ravi Shastri noted a couple of years ago.

Shady Slim

International Coach
sarfraz quite a good keeper imo

maybe he just looks better bc his surname isn't akmal though hmmmm

smash84

The Tiger King
sarfraz quite a good keeper imo

maybe he just looks better bc his surname isn't akmal though hmmmm
Actually he is solid (generally).

Funnily enough Pakistan used to have pretty decent keepers until Khatmal came along. Since the time of Wasim Bari, then Salim Yousuf, then Moin Khan and Rashid Latif. Even Khatmal was ok for a few years, and then instead of going downhill he jumped off a plane and had a vertical free fall

TheJediBrah

Not bad Gnske, though it looks like by the time you got to the end you were just picking randoms

ps I find you clever and amusing

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
An XI of sub-par fielders.

1 Rev. David Sheppard
2 Mark Richardson
3 Inzamam-ul-haq c
4 Arjuna Ranatunga
5 Greg Ritchie
6 Mohammad Hafeez
7 Kamran Akmal +
8 Ashish Nehra
9 Monty Panesar
10 Phil Tufnell
11 Bruce Reid

12th man Devon Malcolm

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not bad Gnske, though it looks like by the time you got to the end you were just picking randoms

ps I find you clever and amusing
Steyn was the only one I really struggled to pick and his inclusion was more a case of "Hey he took a pretty good catch in the World Cup and I don't recall him being horrendous at any time really, that'll do". Maybe Jadeja might have been a more obvious pick on his reputation alone.

Starc, Lyon and Boult weren't random however, they were incredibly easy picks.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Southee might be the cricketer I find most annoying, but he is a genius in the field. As good as Boult in the outfield and a world-class slipper.

Daemon

Who's the worst fielder ever? From those I've seen it's got to be either Mohammad Irfan or Munaf Patel.

TheJediBrah

Tim Southee might be the cricketer I find most annoying, but he is a genius in the field. As good as Boult in the outfield and a world-class slipper.
Would you Southee and Boult are the best fielding bowlers in world cricket at the moment?

Who would be the next best after them? Wagner? Milne? Mark Craig?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Would you Southee and Boult are the best fielding bowlers in world cricket at the moment?

Who would be the next best after them? Wagner? Milne? Mark Craig?
I know this is a Kiwi dig, but Milne and Craig are actually both very good in the field. Chris Jordan is probably the best fielding bowler in tbe world.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy Anderson isn't too bad either, given he's trusted at slip.

1. David Warner (Ring)
2. Martin Guptill (2nd Slip)
3. Kane Williamson (Gully)
4. Steve Smith (Ring/Sweeper/3rd Slip)
5. AB de Villiers (Ring)
6. James Taylor (Short Leg)
7. Peter Nevill (Wicketkeeper)
8. Ravindra Jadeja (Ring)
9. Darren Sammy (1st Slip)
10. Mitchell Starc (Fine Leg)
11. Trent Boult (Ring)

12. Rangana Herath (Long On)