• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best left handed batsman in the world currently?

Justo

U19 Debutant
IMO Darren Bravo is being underrated a bit here. I certainly wouldn't have him as the best left handed player and his overall stats don't look great but he averages 50 away from home (under 30 at home) with at least 1 century everywhere bar England and Sri Lanka so far. If he played for a semi decent team and had better home conditions (pitches, fans etc.) he'd probably be comparable to the big 4.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

As for the best left hander at the moment I'll go for Cook.

Shady Slim

International Coach
criticise uzzie all you want for not knowing which way to hold the bat when the ball turns (legitimate criticism) but he's a top batsman at cashing in when the conditions allow it imo - been good at turning starts in to scores lately, it's getting the start.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
IMO Darren Bravo is being underrated a bit here. I certainly wouldn't have him as the best left handed player and his overall stats don't look great but he averages 50 away from home (under 30 at home) with at least 1 century everywhere bar England and Sri Lanka so far. If he played for a semi decent team and had better home conditions (pitches, fans etc.) he'd probably be comparable to the big 4.
I think he would've been a better shout a couple of years ago. He's had a better overall career than a lot of these guys but he's been decidedly mediocre more recently (averages 31 in the last two years).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mominul definitely belongs in the conversation.
as in "everyone is better than Mominul"

I think he would've been a better shout a couple of years ago. He's had a better overall career than a lot of these guys but he's been decidedly mediocre more recently (averages 31 in the last two years).
Oh maybe he's not so great. He's a dead ringer for Brian Lara though so that's got to count for something.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mominul definitely belongs in the conversation.
He's definitely a promising player but his record is extremely deceiving. His career has coincided with some of the roadiest roads to ever road in his home country, and he's only played 5 Tests away from home for a top score of 64. He looks really good at times and he knows how to push on and take advantage of favourable conditions which is good so I'm not writing him off or anything, but the jury is still well and truly out. It's interesting to compare his stats to the other Bangladesh batsmen in Tests since his debut; he's been the best of them which is awesome for a new player, but some of them aren't far off in that time period.

TheJediBrah

Khawaja is no where near Cook, Warner, QDK or Latham. Mominul will be interesting to see more of this series.
He's pretty close to QDK, and streets ahead of Latham

I guess it depends on how heavily you weight his uselessness turning pitches

91Jmay

International Coach
QDK will be one of the best batsmen in the world in the next 18 months. Could well join the big 3 (or perhaps displace one of them).

Latham is more reliable than Khawaja but also not as useful on flat pitches. Probably close to each other.

Burgey

It's still Allan Border, and none of the names anyone has put up can hold a candle to him. Even if he batted at his current age he'd still outperform this pack of numpties.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He's definitely a promising player but his record is extremely deceiving. His career has coincided with some of the roadiest roads to ever road in his home country, and he's only played 5 Tests away from home for a top score of 64. He looks really good at times and he knows how to push on and take advantage of favourable conditions which is good so I'm not writing him off or anything, but the jury is still well and truly out. It's interesting to compare his stats to the other Bangladesh batsmen in Tests since his debut; he's been the best of them which is awesome for a new player, but some of them aren't far off in that time period.
Fair point. I just feel that he is not the only left hander in the world who's career has coincided with some of the roadiest roads to ever road in his home country

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair point. I just feel that he is not the only left hander in the world who's career has coincided with some of the roadiest roads to ever road in his home country
Other such players haven't played 70% of their games at home though, or 59% of their games against Zimbabwe, West Indies and Sri Lanka.. or only 17 games in total.

I find it really hard to place him in general. We just don't have enough information yet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I got confused early in this thread when people suggested it was between Cook and Warner

That and Burgey harping on about AB have killed any potential this thread has

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's pretty close to QDK, and streets ahead of Latham

I guess it depends on how heavily you weight his uselessness turning pitches
Khawaja has literally played one good innings in his entire life and it was 3 years ago.

listento_me

U19 Captain
It's gotta be cook, surely? I know his prime is a few years behind him but there aren't any young lions who can take his crown.

De Kock? Not yet, has a long way to go in tests to be even considered world class imo.

Warner, for all his fandom on here and his pretty good numbers, doesn't impress me because whenever he is out there, he looks like he could be out on any ball. Far from the greatness of Cook. Fun to watch though.

I certainly would not be mentioning Latham and Jadeja lol