• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricketers That Shaped Me

listento_me

U19 Captain
I was thinking of a doing a series of 5 written pieces on the 5 cricketers that most shaped my viewing habits and my playing habits. Oh and just made me an all round, life long fan of the game. These cricketers are: Wasim Akram, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist and Kevin Pietersen. I was wondering if posting it on here was a good idea or maybe another section?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would be a good thing for us all to contribute to as well I think.

Everyone loves an origin story...

listento_me

U19 Captain
Wasim Akram - The Cricketers That Shaped Me

At times he looked like he was out for a jog, casually floating into the crease and then came the explosion. A swing of his left arm so quick, the batsman had half a blink to register the shine, the seam and the trajectory. More often than not, the bowl would swing…no maybe that’s wrong, it would sing. I had the pleasure of watching Wasim Akram bowling in the nets at Lords and he could make the bowl play a tune. Maybe it was the whip in his arm or the speed of the bowl but there was an audible hiss. Only a split second but it was there, or at least my 10-year-old ears thought so.

For you to fully understand why Wasim Akram, the cricketer mattered so much to me, you have to understand why fast bowling means so much to me. In cricket, there are three distinct arts: batting, bowling and wicket keeping. As long as I can remember, the batsman has had the cards stacked in his favour, with pitches, boundaries and the very rules of this game designed to make him superior.

The bowler however must struggle and fight, scratching his way through the dirt and hoping for the odd bit of cloud or the life giving sign of a green pitch. As a kid, wanting to bat was easy, we all wanted to do it. Hit a six out over the garden fence? Check. Easy. But to bowl quick, to get the small, spherical object to dance in mid-air? Much more difficult. That belonged to the immortals. I was lucky enough to grow up watching Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee and a handful of other immortals. Wasim Akram stood at the top of that pile. He was the impossible that I aspired to.

Suffice to say, I never became much of a bowler and batting/keeping is the direction that I went towards but even then, it was Akram who was forefront of my imagination. The swashbuckling lower order destroyer, eater of worlds, conqueror of boundaries. Am I exaggerating? Probably but he does have a test double. As the years wore on, so did Akram. He was no longer a 90 mph screamer. The pace had slowed, the destruction was limited and sporadic, yet the magic still remained.

Even in the dying dawn of the 2003 world cup, as an era came to an end, Akram was defiant till the end, with 12 wickets across 6 games. Admittedly, 5 of them game against the lowly Namibians but he showed there was still one last roar in the old lion. That was in complete contrast to, in my opinion anyway, Akram’s greatest test bowling performance: back to back 5 wicket hauls against the Windies, in the same test. Eleven wickets in total. Reverse swing befuddling the lower order and sharp, new ball bowling making a mockery of the top. To do so in the fire of Antigua aged 34 was even more remarkable.

If great moments define a great sports person, then surely Wasim Akram must be one of the truly great ones. World cup magic, away test dreams and a dazzling swing of the bat to go with the ball. To say Akram was nigh on a perfect fast bowler would be hyperbole but is there anyone who has come closer? Probably not, although some may raise names such as Marshall or Lillee but did they have to compete on the graveyard pitches of Pakistan and the UAE on a monthly basis? I don’t think so. Akram is the type of cricketer who lights up a child’s imagination.

In the years that followed Akram's retirement, I would move through high school and life in general, sporting, academic, it didn't matter because as things got tough I think back to the lion of Antigua or the dying embers of the 03 world cup. Even when it's hard, it's never really that hard. I think that's what he taught me.

wasim-Akram-The-Cricket-Legend.jpg

Attachments

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
A nice piece, and one of the bowlers who I and many others have hero worshipped. Were you too young for his 1992 World Cup? It was magic.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Sachin Tendulkar - The Cricketers That Shaped Me

I think it’s safe to say that Sachin Tendulkar is everyone’s cup of tea. A boy scout even, unlike a lot of the other cricketers that influenced me and for that, I’m glad. This is the type of cricketer you can take home to meet your parents. The little man with the giant talent is what batting is meant to be. Every angle is covered, elbows tight and raised, feet in line…Tendulkar was the consummate professional.

However, what he accomplished for India in two decades speaks of something more than a professional, it tells us of a man with more grit than that serene face ever let on. While Lara was arrogant, not just at the crease but in his demeanour and on the county circuit, Tendulkar understood that it was important to enjoy every detail, even if that meant standing in line signing more autographs than probably any other batsman in history. He would walk to the crease as if he was blessed to be there, not realising we were blessed to be watching him.

Integrity is the word that comes to mind. It’s something that is in such short supply among the sporting elite. You see, money turns good hearts bad. Tendulkar quietly orchestrated his way through the match fixing scandals which hit his team in the late 90s and early 00s, coming out looking better than he had ever done before. In the years that followed, India would turn into a cricketing powerhouse and its cricketers a generation of stars. While we’d see pictures of lesser talents partying it up with Bollywood beauties, Tendulkar was likely still imagining how he’d play his next innings.

That next innings is what pops into mind, or maybe it would be better to say, many next innings. You see, as other batsmen age, great innings become few and far between. This did not become the case for Tendulkar till the very twilight of his career. Long before that, as a sprightly 37-year-old, he dazzled his way to an ODI double century. The first one ever. At 37. There are other stand out innings, such as the 194 in a test in Multan against the old enemy, or the somewhat sedate but classy 120 against Sri Lanka but that double century, for all it represented meant much more. The man who had become cricket’s first modern star had scored its first modern double century.

We come back to that word again, integrity. Tendulkar stayed honest to how he wanted to play the game, so that those of used who watched him, would stay honest with ourselves. Those last days, those twilight hours are the ones that niggle at me, he stayed on for a landmark which took so long and in the end, did not mean so much. Maybe he didn’t want to be there, maybe those that pulled the string finally got to him. It’s a blip in an otherwise idyllic career. Tendulkar deserved it, he deserved to be a little selfish, even if it was just the once.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Not bad, not bad. Liked the first piece more but not bad.
I thought Sachin was ok but certainly found his ODI batting more entertaining than his test match batting.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Ricky Ponting – The Cricketers That Shaped Me
The number three batting position has been home to a number of great batsmen. Australia found a home, at that position, for possibly the greatest batsman of them all. Some 70 years later, another great would occupy that position. Just as prolific with the bat as his great idol, albeit in a remarkably different era. When in full swing, Ponting was a delight to watch. Not quite as smooth as Lara but every bit as destructive to opposition bowlers. This is how batsmen should fire the imagination of their young fans. Just as adept to crushing the short ball as he was at battering the fuller delivery.

I’m not sure how many of you have seen the 80s sci-fi movie, Weird Science but it’s all about a couple of love struck nerds digitally creating the perfect woman. If a group of cricket nerds came together and decided to create the perfect counter attacking cricketer, they would come up with Ricky Ponting. The numbers of this feisty genius are remarkable, as are the finer details. Ponting has the highest number of back to back test centuries (6) and the strength of those numbers are backed by a combined 100 test victories, 48 as captain alone. In Australia’s most dominant era, he scored close to 10, 000 runs in both tests and ODIs…and that’s separately.

It’s not just Pontings runs that got to me, it was his penchant for winning matches. For a time, in school cricket and lower club cricket, I batted as a number three (along with keeping wicket) and it was Ponting’s character that I wanted to emulate. We were 0-1? No problem, that wouldn’t stop me from eyeing the boundary. I’d play like we were a 100-0 because that’s what he would do. I’m not sure what the stats would say but in terms of winning matches, series’ and tournaments, has there ever been a more successful cricketer? I’d likely think not.

However, we have to inevitably come to the twilight years. As I moved into adulthood, I had the chance to watch Ponting live and he was no longer the man who could toy with the short ball. Lesser bowlers than those he had faced in his pomp, were coming for him. They got him. Bouncers that rattled his grill and shook his confidence. He would roar one last time, against that most favoured of foe: India. A brilliant double century, an absolute trouncing of the would-be upstarts and slowly Ponting faded.

The great attacker, the man with unbridled gifts of hand and eye, would not score in excess of 60 ever again. It is said that Roach broke his spirit. Fast, bouncey…but in all honesty, a lesser bowler than many that had tried. No, it was not the West Indian tearaway that broke his spirit, it was time that lessened his eyes and slowed his hand. Maybe that’s the lesson I learned from Ponting. Even if you are verging on being the best thing since sliced bread, time will come for you. The eternal clock never stops ticking, even for the destroyer of cricketing attacks and the leader of men.