• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The tier below the fab 4

Xuhaib

International Coach
I personally feel the reason Kohli averages lower then other 3 is because India over the last few years has not been producing batting friendly wickets hence Kohli is not filling his boots in home conditions unlike the other 3 this is also the reason Ashwin and Jadeja are averaging lower then Bhajji and Kumble and not because they are better bowlers.

Compton

International Debutant
Ben Stokes doesn't deserve to be in the discussion for the tier below the 4 best.

He obviously has talent, but outside of one ridiculous innings he hasn't done anything to suggest he's a top level batsman.

Howsie

International Captain
It's the big three ftr.

Until Kohli actually starts scoring big time test runs please don't put him anywhere near the other three. He's an awesome limited overs bat but insanely overrated as a test player.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ben Stokes doesn't deserve to be in the discussion for the tier below the 4 best.

He obviously has talent, but outside of one ridiculous innings he hasn't done anything to suggest he's a top level batsman.
Whilst I do kinda agree with you that he's not in this next tier bracket..........it's a bit harsh to say he's had just 1 ridiculous innings. All 3 of his hundreds comfortably fit that bracket IMO, plus he also made a run a ball 90 against NZ at Lords (same test as one of his "ridiculous" tons)

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely the ridiculous innings was his double in South Africa
Sorry, very bad wording on my part. Yeah of course his double at Newlands is what Compton was referring to........but I'm saying all of his hundreds could be classed as such, so was also calling the 100 against NZ at Lords "ridiculous"

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahane is a joke. Doesn't belong n the argument. Neither does Warner. Spuds.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As I mentioend weeks ago, Rahane is so good he not only would walk into Australias' team, he'd be the batting coach.

And the fact that they named Hick as coach since then backs me up further.

Daemon

He's scored a hundred in almost every series he's played or something like that. Every country except Bangladesh and SA where he has 90s and Pakistan where he'll never play. What a man.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

The tier below Voges is obvious:

Smith

Root/Williamson

Kohli

but the rest after that are very hard to distinguish between IMO

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warner could well end up being remembered as one of the greatest openers of all time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't necessarily think the "fab four" are the best four batsmen in the world. There are a bunch of blokes I rate ahead of Kohli at the moment if we're talking Tests only, and I find it hard to split de Villiers from Smith, Williamson and Root.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't necessarily think the "fab four" are the best four batsmen in the world. There are a bunch of blokes I rate ahead of Kohli at the moment if we're talking Tests only, and I find it hard to split de Villiers from Smith, Williamson and Root.
The distinctions always kind of weird IMO. Hardly like AB is about to retire anytime soon.

Burgey

Warner will need to improve a fair bit outside Australia. He looks useless in England and when it's spinning. His batting in SL was completely embarrassing. If they had any halfway decent openers playing FC cricket in Australia atm he would have had his papers marked never to play again, It was that bad.