• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Australia captain ever

Best ever Australia captain

• Mark Taylor

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Micheal Clarke

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

listento_me

U19 Captain
Out of those, I watched Ponting the most and he presided over a great period of dominance so I choose him. He own test series' pretty much everywhere and also 2 world cups, back to back, with barely any trouble. Just a remarkable run of success.

watson

Banned
Steve Waugh - like his personality, his captaincy was too one-dimensional.
Ricky Ponting - still irritated that he chose to bowl first in the second Test, 2005. What a howler straight after McGrath injured his ankle.
Michael Clarke - good tactically, but questionable off the field. His falling out with Katich should never have happened.
Mark Taylor - well liked by his team, marshalled Warne/Healy brilliantly, and strategically clever.

Gob

International Coach
Steve Waugh - like his personality, his captaincy was too one-dimensional.
Ricky Ponting - still irritated that he chose to bowl first in the second Test, 2005. What a howler straight after McGrath injured his ankle.
Michael Clarke - good tactically, but questionable off the field. His falling out with Katich should never have happened.
Mark Taylor - well liked by his team, marshalled Warne/Healy brilliantly, and strategically clever.
So is that the order or what

watson

Banned
So is that the order or what
I think that it's pretty obvious who my choice as 'best captain' is.

Overall though I like Woodfull and Benaud.

Everyone remembers Woodfull during the Bodyline series, but winning the Ashes 2-1 in 1934 with the deciding victory coming on the very last day of the 5th and final Test is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Strange to title the thread "Best Ever" but only list options from the last 25 years in the poll. Border, Benaud and Woodfull all worthy shouts IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Strange to title the thread "Best Ever" but only list options from the last 25 years in the poll. Border, Benaud and Woodfull all worthy shouts IMO.
Border, Benaud, Woodfull, Bradman, Armstrong, Noble, Chappell...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I've seen and read the best 3 seem to be;

Taylor, Chappell & Benaud (in no particular order).

Lol @ calls for Ponting, he was many things, a great captain he was not.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon Benaud all time. Brought a bit of flair to an otherwise pretty dull era.

Taylor was tactically really good, as was Clarke. Clarke had a weaker side whereas Taylor got a team on the rise from the efforts of The One True AB. Waugh then had that side at its absolute peak and succeeded in overcoming the dead rubber malaise, but he presided over a side whose onfield behaviour was far worse than under his successor. For some reason Waigh always gets a free pass for that, but was a very hard man. Ponting wasn't as good tactically, but all you hear about him, even towards the end of his time as captain, is blokes in the team would have walked under a bus for him.

They all brought something different to it.

Midwinter

State Captain
Out of those four Tubby is my pick

My impression is that Taylor really wanted to be captain of Australia, not just a puppet under the team coach.

One of the problems during his tenure was allowing Warne and Hughes to carry on in that series against South Africa.

Bill Woodfull is the type of bloke who should be on list of the greatest ever, don't know about his tactical skills but his integrity would never be in doubt.

IMHO
:)

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
picked Taylor as he was tactically brilliant but surprisingly does not bring that to his commentary..May be some players need to be in the thick of action for them to think..Taylor may be one..