• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Afghanistan in Bangladesh 2016

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not true. In the last 5-6 years, they have beaten New Zealand and West Indies along with making the final of the Asia Cup 2012. 2015 was not the only year and it was certainly not just a purple patch. You're just not familiar with Bangladesh cricket.
Really. In 2014 the only team they beat in ODIs was Zimbabwe. They lost the other 12 ODIs.
In 2013 yes they won a series against a comical NZ side which had McCullum as their sole 'spinner' (seriously) with some occasional part-time backup from Devcich and Kane. But then again they also lost a series to Zimbabwe.
In 2012 they had a decent year, all home ODIs winning 5 out of 9. Although 5 of those ODIs were against a West Indies side boasting a middle order with the likes of Devon Thomas, Pollard, Sammy and Dwayne Smith.
In 2011 they managed to beat England and West Indies. So that was 2 wins out of 13 ODIs against proper sides. They also beat Ireland and Netherlands. They lost a 5 match series to Zimbabwe.

In 2015 they won 13 out of 18 matches (one each against Afghanistan and Ireland, while 3 were against Zimbabwe, but as we've seen they lose a lot to them)

So yes 2015 was a purple patch. This year they've had two tight matches against Afghanistan and lost one of them. They're favourites to win this one comfortably. But they're not a good ODI side and they play the vast majority of their ODIs at home or in Zimbabwe.

Starfighter

Four current bowlers in the top ten, if you don't count Rubel or Mahmudullah. I think that speaks volumes about just how dreadful BD were early on.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Really. In 2014 the only team they beat in ODIs was Zimbabwe. They lost the other 12 ODIs.
In 2013 yes they won a series against a comical NZ side which had McCullum as their sole 'spinner' (seriously) with some occasional part-time backup from Devcich and Kane. But then again they also lost a series to Zimbabwe.
In 2012 they had a decent year, all home ODIs winning 5 out of 9. Although 5 of those ODIs were against a West Indies side boasting a middle order with the likes of Devon Thomas, Pollard, Sammy and Dwayne Smith.
In 2011 they managed to beat England and West Indies. So that was 2 wins out of 13 ODIs against proper sides. They also beat Ireland and Netherlands. They lost a 5 match series to Zimbabwe.

In 2015 they won 13 out of 18 matches (one each against Afghanistan and Ireland, while 3 were against Zimbabwe, but as we've seen they lose a lot to them)

So yes 2015 was a purple patch. This year they've had two tight matches against Afghanistan and lost one of them. They're favourites to win this one comfortably. But they're not a good ODI side and they play the vast majority of their ODIs at home or in Zimbabwe.
Bet you are going to say the same that England did not have Root, Hales and Morgan if BD manage to beat England

cnerd123

likes this

"If you ignore all the games they won, they basically never win"

Wonder what your thoughts on Ross Taylor are

cnerd123

likes this
Shahzad would have caught that.

Mushy making it hard to justify his spot in the side atm; especially with Liton on the sidelines.

Starfighter

I reckon Afghanistan could've used an extra seamer or finger spinner today. Neither Rahman nor Shenwari bowled well at all.

Also there goes a chance.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't like Mosharaff's action.

Looks a decent bowler tho. BD's endless supply of left arm spin is really quite something - Starting with Enamul Haque we have had Rafique, Manjural Islam Rana, Razzak, Enamul Haq Jnr, Shakib, Mehrab Hossain Jr, Mosharraf Hossain, Suhrawadi Shuvo, Elias Sunny, Arafat Sunny, Taijul Islam, Mustafizur Rahman....

Scaly piscine

Bet you are going to say the same that England did not have Root, Hales and Morgan if BD manage to beat England
Should beat them as Bangladesh are without the Fizz and England have plenty of depth in quality. Most of England's A side would get in the Bangladesh side.

Anyway getting back to the present series I doubt whether Afghanistan have the quality to chase these, you can get away with a few big shots, but they're going to need a lot of them here.

cnerd123

likes this
"Why does it feel so good to be bad" is not appropriate music for a Bangladesh cricket match.

Or maybe it is. IDK.

Starfighter

I don't like Mosharaff's action.
Well he's got a wicket now. Make that two.
Anyway, his arm is too high at delivery and will limit the amount of sidespin and drift he can get. Although that often doesn't seem to matter in limited overs.
Has BD got any off spinners or wrist spinners? I remember Sohag Gazi a few years back but he's dropped off the radar since been reported for throwing, and Mahmudullah doesn't seem to bowl any more.

Scaly piscine

That's where the difference in quality is. Afghanistan's release shots are just russian roulette stuff.

Hmm there was a noise of a nick there?

cnerd123

likes this
Anyway, his arm is too high at delivery and will limit the amount of sidespin and drift he can get. Although that often doesn't seem to matter in limited overs.
Has BD got any off spinners or wrist spinners? I remember Sohag Gazi a few years back but he's dropped off the radar since been reported for throwing, and Mahmudullah doesn't seem to bowl any more.
Jubair Hossain is a young leggie. Only like 19-20. Lots of time for him.

Mosharaff's arm is bent. He can bring it in from an awkward angle, and I suspect he's using that to help his arm ball. But looks dodgy af.

Starfighter

Mosharaff's arm is bent. He can bring it in from an awkward angle, and I suspect he's using that to help his arm ball. But looks dodgy af.
A bent, or at least relaxed, elbow seems to be quite common these days. Shakib's elbow is markedly bent every now and again. I think it makes it easier to to top spin the ball and get that awkward skidding trajectory as well. But it's super ugly and I don't like it.

That's out.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
No one coming up the ranks except jubair who has a lot of work to do still. This is a big worry. Someone solid and reliable needs to support shakib.

Starfighter

Taskin's run up is glorious, especially at the start. The thing he does with his arm looks like some nervous tic.

Starfighter

I reckon Rahmat's inability to get the ball past the infield, let alone rotate the strike, has cost the Afghanis here. Too much pressure on the other batsmen.

Also, Taskin has the Ishant problem, where he can't pitch the ball up without his line straying horribly.