• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The costliest drops and misfields of all time

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dropped a coffee mug this morning just before I was about to leave the house. Pieces of ceramic everywhere. No good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
#isurvived

However I was just thinking, is that a costly drop? Or is it actually a costly misfield? Because its not like someone threw the cup to me and I dropped it. I just fumbled it from the shelf.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a drop because it fell, surely? Awkward, and not the easiest of chances, but you have to take those at this level.

Burgey

I remember as a kid going to watch our club's A grade side play the final. They were chasing 210 to win and were 9/150 with numbers 10 and 11 at the crease. They started to put on a few runs, and our supporters, of which there were a few hundred, started to get a bit excited. Eventually with the score on about 190 or so and the crowd going nuts, our number 10 hits this massive high catch from the bowling of the other team's skipper, who was a star import having been a gun first grade spinner for many years. He hit it in the direction of a young kid at mid on who was playing his first year of A grade for the opposition. The poor kid dropped it and our team went on to win.

The captain from the other side absolutely sprayed this kid (rightly so) and the young bloke never played cricket again. It was pretty awful to watch, but it did serve the purpose of weeding out the weak before they established themselves at his club.

Burgey

FMD I remember that effort. Poor bugger.

A mate of mine did a similar thing at the start of one season, but in his case the ground was sandy and it looked like he was moving in slow motion on a beach, so he earned the nickname "Hoff". He still has that nickname 15 years on.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember as a kid going to watch our club's A grade side play the final. They were chasing 210 to win and were 9/150 with numbers 10 and 11 at the crease. They started to put on a few runs, and our supporters, of which there were a few hundred, started to get a bit excited. Eventually with the score on about 190 or so and the crowd going nuts, our number 10 hits this massive high catch from the bowling of the other team's skipper, who was a star import having been a gun first grade spinner for many years. He hit it in the direction of a young kid at mid on who was playing his first year of A grade for the opposition. The poor kid dropped it and our team went on to win.

The captain from the other side absolutely sprayed this kid (rightly so) and the young bloke never played cricket again. It was pretty awful to watch, but it did serve the purpose of weeding out the weak before they established themselves at his club.
Repulsed by this story

Burgey

Yeah it was pretty awful tbh. To do that to anyone, let alone a young bloke is crap.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup. Even though that was ten years ago, reckon a lot of kids now are quite sensitive to how their friends are treated at sporting clubs - you can put a lot offside and lose a whole group with just one being unhappy after an incident like that.

TheJediBrah

yeah real top bloke lol

Who knows that kid could have been the next cricket superstar

Burgey

Yeah it's woeful. I think the kid had made a few runs in the game too, so it's not like he hadn't made some contribution. Not that you can justify the way this bloke went on anyway.

Daemon

Jayasuriya did this to a kid when he played a random t20 series here. He plays for Singapore now though so luckily it didn't have any lasting damage.

Zinzan

Dropped a coffee mug this morning just before I was about to leave the house. Pieces of ceramic everywhere. No good.
Well I was going to mention the Space shuttle challenger disaster of 1986 now you mention if, but thought better of it.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A stupid thing about the story is that I'm sure the bloke giving the spray had dropped a catch before

91Jmay

International Coach

Only 2s cricket in England so order of magnitude lower standard but one of our fast bowlers, the type who rocks up late with a hangover and his entire personality is based around his cocaine addiction, absolutely destroyed a 14 year old who dropped a simplish catch at mid wicket. Our captain sent him off the field and told him to never come back. We ended up getting destroyed (the other team lent us a fielder but we were a good bowler down) but it was well worth it.