• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The costliest drops and misfields of all time

Slifer

International Captain
Easy, Courtney Browne dropping Steve Waugh off of Kenny Benjamin during the 4th and deciding test in the 1995 test series between the West Indies and Australia. Steve Waugh I think was dropped on 60 odd and would go on to put on a series winning partnership with Mark. Oz would eventually go on to win the test and series and become the first team in 15 years to beat the WI. Also, they became the first team since 1973 to beat the WI in the Caribbean.

Damn I hate Courtney Browne lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably anyone who dropped Bradman early in an innings.

Fmd, imagine sitting under a high ball from one of the atgs and knowing if you drop the ****er they'll more than likely just pile it on infinitely.

Daemon

Probably anyone who dropped Bradman early in an innings.

Fmd, imagine sitting under a high ball from one of the atgs and knowing if you drop the ****er they'll more than likely just pile it on infinitely.
Very negative attitude that, and one that poor fielders generally have.

As someone who is a top class fielder myself, I'd be excited that upon taking the catch heading towards me, the prospect of having to field for the whole day diminishes.

Burgey

It's not a negative attitude, it's a reflection that you know the importance of what it is you're doing, and have a sense of where the game is at.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IN a league final, I took 6 catches and none were really straight forward. Yet I dropped the top scorer off what was the easiest chance (guy went for a pull, top edge lobbed up so so slowly to me) and we lost by 15 runs... What he made after I had dropped him. :( I remember what my captain said after the game - you were goin; to be man of the match till you dropped that dolly. As a keeper, I hate the ones that go high and come so so slowly. It is ridiculously easy to take those with the gloves as long as you have a reasonable ability to judge the trajectory but damn it gives your mind time to think of all sorts of things...

Daemon

It's not a negative attitude, it's a reflection that you know the importance of what it is you're doing, and have a sense of where the game is at.
I dunno, for skiers I've always found that the only time I've dropped them is when I've entertained the thought of dropping it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of McCullum, his dropping of Dravid in the '03 WC game was one of the most *** annoying at the time... India were only chasing around 150 IIRC, but if could have been 22-4 when Dravid was put down with a regulation edge to the keeper.
Ugh, I remember this. Bond steaming in, regulation half slash edge to McCullum who absolutely clanged it.

Mind you, same thing happened to Stephen Fleming in the same tournament. Regulation edge to Boucher who dropped an absolute sitter, and Fleming/McMillan/someone else I can't remember got us home easily in a rain-reduced what was originally 300odd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Very negative attitude that, and one that poor fielders generally have.

As someone who is a top class fielder myself, I'd be excited that upon taking the catch heading towards me, the prospect of having to field for the whole day diminishes.
Who is better, Daemon the fielder or Scaly the scrabble player?

vcs

Easy, Courtney Browne dropping Steve Waugh off of Kenny Benjamin during the 4th and deciding test in the 1995 test series between the West Indies and Australia. Steve Waugh I think was dropped on 60 odd and would go on to put on a series winning partnership with Mark. Oz would eventually go on to win the test and series and become the first team in 15 years to beat the WI. Also, they became the first team since 1973 to beat the WI in the Caribbean.

Courtney Browne dropped an absolute clanger off Sachin in WC '96 also. I think it was him, anyway.

Zinzan

Ugh, I remember this. Bond steaming in, regulation half slash edge to McCullum who absolutely clanged it.

Mind you, same thing happened to Stephen Fleming in the same tournament. Regulation edge to Boucher who dropped an absolute sitter, and Fleming/McMillan/someone else I can't remember got us home easily in a rain-reduced what was originally 300odd.
Yup, just after he reached his 50 IIRC. McMillan opened in that game and shared a decent opening stand with Flem, but it was Flem and Astle's partnership who sealed a relatively easy win by 9 wickets under Duckworth L.

Xuhaib

International Coach
IN a league final, I took 6 catches and none were really straight forward. Yet I dropped the top scorer off what was the easiest chance (guy went for a pull, top edge lobbed up so so slowly to me) and we lost by 15 runs... What he made after I had dropped him. :( I remember what my captain said after the game - you were goin; to be man of the match till you dropped that dolly. As a keeper, I hate the ones that go high and come so so slowly. It is ridiculously easy to take those with the gloves as long as you have a reasonable ability to judge the trajectory but damn it gives your mind time to think of all sorts of things...
I once dropped 3 catches in a KO game but caught a stunner of a bloke 2nd ball who had just murdered us in the league game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was going to go for Giles dropping Ponting at Adelaide.

Probably wouldn't have made much difference to the series but you never know. Australia would have been in deep trouble responding to England's 551, and had England been able to force a win at Adelaide who knows how the series might have panned out, particularly as England had recovered reasonably well from the shock of the 1st innings at Brisbane. Losing that Tesr knocked the stuffing out of the side.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
that giles drop made even more brilliant for the fact he was in the side over panesar for his superior batting and fielding.

shame about his ********* bowling.

Top_Cat

This was massive.