Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Pinball Champion!

Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Ive been more impressed with their coverage this winter in the west Indies...

How come that sometimes Radio 4 cover away series? And sometimes its talk sport??

Positives being Cowdrey is a pretty knowladgeble commentator, of the Aggers mould... Aggers is sorely missed because he is an absolute legend, but cowdrey is not bad either... We also do not have to put up with that crackpot Blofeld talking absolute dross..... I dont find "Tanny Grig" too annoying on the radio either...

Negatives - Mark Nicholas... He seems to think that players that are making their way in the game from England are automatically sublime, or exemplery, or superb, or special or "oh yaaaah...." (Flintoff and Harmison being examples)..
    Talk sport are also noticeably biased... I know that the vast majority of people in England will be behind England... But when England were in South Africa in 2000 they must have ****ed off a lot of SA fans, because I became annoyed with their "oh lets hope Hussain can push england past the follow on, come on Nass... Oh no he is out, thats a real tragedy..."
    And today they were all rooting for Butcher and Hussain to carry on their partnership... They should make more of an effort to be impartial because there are WI fans listening aplenty....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Talk sport are also noticeably biased... I know that the vast majority of people in England will be behind England... But when England were in South Africa in 2000 they must have ****ed off a lot of SA fans, because I became annoyed with their "oh lets hope Hussain can push england past the follow on, come on Nass... Oh no he is out, thats a real tragedy..."
    And today they were all rooting for Butcher and Hussain to carry on their partnership... They should make more of an effort to be impartial because there are WI fans listening aplenty....
    Heh, I'm relying on Talksport - much better than cricinfo (although I have them as backup for the scorecard) Think their coverage is quite good actually, and if you think that's patriotic I've got some excellent examples from Norway.

OK, the analogy isn't perfect because nobody bar Norwegians listen to Norwegian radio - but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Pinball Champion!

Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes
    but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.

I think Aggers is a master at giving an analysis of an event completely free from any personal emotion/bias... If everyone commentated like that, the world would be a better place

Cricket Web Vice Administrator

Ive been more impressed with their coverage this winter in the west Indies...

How come that sometimes Radio 4 cover away series? And sometimes its talk sport??
    It's just a case of who gets the rights, just like with TV sometimes it's Sky sometimes it's not etc.

Oh and I blieve Radio 4 are covering the Pakistan vs India series so they can't be in two places at once, although that was probley just a after-thought when they didn't get the England series.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Heh, I'm relying on Talksport - much better than cricinfo (although I have them as backup for the scorecard) Think their coverage is quite good actually, and if you think that's patriotic I've got some excellent examples from Norway.

OK, the analogy isn't perfect because nobody bar Norwegians listen to Norwegian radio - but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.
    "Margaret Thatcher! Winston Churchill! Norway has beaten England at Football!", for example?

And it's a private English station with no rules about independence. The only OfCom rules wrt bias cover commercial sides of things AFAIK.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    "Margaret Thatcher! Winston Churchill! Norway has beaten England at Football!", for example?.
    That is the one yes - classic stuff...he claimed that we'd beat a lot of English notable personalities (Sir Anthony Eden, Lord Beaverbrook, Admiral Nelson spring to mind) too, even though it was an irrelevant WC qualifier (not for England though )

Uh oh, 5 posts and off-topic

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Negatives - Mark Nicholas... He seems to think that players that are making their way in the game from England are automatically sublime, or exemplery, or superb, or special or "oh yaaaah...." (Flintoff and Harmison being examples)..
    Funny that - the ones who don't like Fred or Harmison automatically moan when they're praised...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    And why do you think that might be?
    Not because Rik or myself "don't like" Harmison, Flintoff or anyone else, but simply because it's very annoying that someone with the renown of Mark Nicholas can take such a over-praise attitude just because of the ages of the players concerned (25).
    Especially when he's praising them for stuff we make quite clear we don't see the merits of the stuff the praise is being heaped on for.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain
    You guys think that the foppish dandy is over the top in praising Harmison. What about Botham on SKY? Now he is OTT.
    'Tis better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Pinball Champion!

Originally posted by marc71178
    Funny that - the ones who don't like Fred or Harmison automatically moan when they're praised...
    Similar to those who like Fred and Harmison who automatically moan when they are criticized..

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by raju
    You guys think that the foppish dandy is over the top in praising Harmison. What about Botham on SKY? Now he is OTT.
    Hehe Beefy isnt the best... But at least he isnt afraid to have a go if someone is having a shocker....

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Similar to those who like Fred and Harmison who automatically moan when they are criticized..
    Only because you lot criticize Harmison for everything in the world, and ignore anything good they ever do.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Hehe Beefy isnt the best... But at least he isnt afraid to have a go if someone is having a shocker....
    Botham knows the game..he knows talent
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Not automatically - I for one have never refrained from criticising Flintoff when he does things such as today.

Well, I finally found out that they were playing the game over the Internet whilst the Football was on the radio.

Only problem is you can't hear it if you're doing anything else on the computer at the same time (such as CM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information