• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ive been more impressed with their coverage this winter in the west Indies...

How come that sometimes Radio 4 cover away series? And sometimes its talk sport??

Positives being Cowdrey is a pretty knowladgeble commentator, of the Aggers mould... Aggers is sorely missed because he is an absolute legend, but cowdrey is not bad either... We also do not have to put up with that crackpot Blofeld talking absolute dross..... I dont find "Tanny Grig" too annoying on the radio either...

Negatives - Mark Nicholas... He seems to think that players that are making their way in the game from England are automatically sublime, or exemplery, or superb, or special or "oh yaaaah...." (Flintoff and Harmison being examples)..
Talk sport are also noticeably biased... I know that the vast majority of people in England will be behind England... But when England were in South Africa in 2000 they must have ****ed off a lot of SA fans, because I became annoyed with their "oh lets hope Hussain can push england past the follow on, come on Nass... Oh no he is out, thats a real tragedy..."
And today they were all rooting for Butcher and Hussain to carry on their partnership... They should make more of an effort to be impartial because there are WI fans listening aplenty....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Talk sport are also noticeably biased... I know that the vast majority of people in England will be behind England... But when England were in South Africa in 2000 they must have ****ed off a lot of SA fans, because I became annoyed with their "oh lets hope Hussain can push england past the follow on, come on Nass... Oh no he is out, thats a real tragedy..."
And today they were all rooting for Butcher and Hussain to carry on their partnership... They should make more of an effort to be impartial because there are WI fans listening aplenty....
Heh, I'm relying on Talksport - much better than cricinfo (although I have them as backup for the scorecard) Think their coverage is quite good actually, and if you think that's patriotic I've got some excellent examples from Norway.

OK, the analogy isn't perfect because nobody bar Norwegians listen to Norwegian radio - but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Samuel_Vimes said:
but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.

I think Aggers is a master at giving an analysis of an event completely free from any personal emotion/bias... If everyone commentated like that, the world would be a better place :)

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Ive been more impressed with their coverage this winter in the west Indies...

How come that sometimes Radio 4 cover away series? And sometimes its talk sport??
It's just a case of who gets the rights, just like with TV sometimes it's Sky sometimes it's not etc.

Oh and I blieve Radio 4 are covering the Pakistan vs India series so they can't be in two places at once, although that was probley just a after-thought when they didn't get the England series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Samuel_Vimes said:
Heh, I'm relying on Talksport - much better than cricinfo (although I have them as backup for the scorecard) Think their coverage is quite good actually, and if you think that's patriotic I've got some excellent examples from Norway.

OK, the analogy isn't perfect because nobody bar Norwegians listen to Norwegian radio - but if you're English, commentating for English radio, I think you have a slight right to bias.
"Margaret Thatcher! Winston Churchill! Norway has beaten England at Football!", for example?

And it's a private English station with no rules about independence. The only OfCom rules wrt bias cover commercial sides of things AFAIK.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Re: Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Neil Pickup said:
"Margaret Thatcher! Winston Churchill! Norway has beaten England at Football!", for example?.
That is the one yes - classic stuff...he claimed that we'd beat a lot of English notable personalities (Sir Anthony Eden, Lord Beaverbrook, Admiral Nelson spring to mind) too, even though it was an irrelevant WC qualifier (not for England though :D)

Uh oh, 5 posts and off-topic ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Negatives - Mark Nicholas... He seems to think that players that are making their way in the game from England are automatically sublime, or exemplery, or superb, or special or "oh yaaaah...." (Flintoff and Harmison being examples)..
Funny that - the ones who don't like Fred or Harmison automatically moan when they're praised...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And why do you think that might be?
Not because Rik or myself "don't like" Harmison, Flintoff or anyone else, but simply because it's very annoying that someone with the renown of Mark Nicholas can take such a over-praise attitude just because of the ages of the players concerned (25).
Especially when he's praising them for stuff we make quite clear we don't see the merits of the stuff the praise is being heaped on for.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
You guys think that the foppish dandy is over the top in praising Harmison. What about Botham on SKY? Now he is OTT.

Langeveldt

Soutie

marc71178 said:
Funny that - the ones who don't like Fred or Harmison automatically moan when they're praised...
Similar to those who like Fred and Harmison who automatically moan when they are criticized..

Langeveldt

Soutie
raju said:
You guys think that the foppish dandy is over the top in praising Harmison. What about Botham on SKY? Now he is OTT.
Hehe Beefy isnt the best... But at least he isnt afraid to have a go if someone is having a shocker....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Langeveldt said:
Similar to those who like Fred and Harmison who automatically moan when they are criticized..
Only because you lot criticize Harmison for everything in the world, and ignore anything good they ever do.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hehe Beefy isnt the best... But at least he isnt afraid to have a go if someone is having a shocker....
Botham knows the game..he knows talent

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Langeveldt said:
Not automatically - I for one have never refrained from criticising Flintoff when he does things such as today.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, I finally found out that they were playing the game over the Internet whilst the Football was on the radio.

Only problem is you can't hear it if you're doing anything else on the computer at the same time (such as CM) :(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

Neil Pickup said:
Only because you lot criticize Harmison for everything in the world, and ignore anything good they ever do.
And only because you lot fail to take opposition into account, go totally over the top when he doesn't bowl badly and when he does, you've got many excuses including bringing up the record of the rest of the attack which includes Giles, Butcher, Vaughan, Dawson...which is frankly pathetic.

What about, if you stop going OTT when he isn't smashed all over the place, we will when he does. Fair?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year

marc71178 said:
How increadibly grown up! Act your age Marc, not your shoe size. You are the 1st to condemn someone when they don't share your views, so if you can't take it don't dish it out.

And if you can't think of anything other than a pathetic come back about how I can't take it, then just don't bother. Because, I assure you, I can.

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Well, I finally found out that they were playing the game over the Internet whilst the Football was on the radio.

Only problem is you can't hear it if you're doing anything else on the computer at the same time (such as CM) :(
I found out at bout 3.30pm and tried flicking it on.

Bear in mind I have LAN internet which is usually quicker than 1 MBps and I wasn't playing on anything else (although I was very tempted :)) and it still didn't work. Just took ages to buffer. All other internet radio things I've tried worked....including Neil's ;). Must be overloaded with people listening or something.

Swiftly dispatched a disgruntled e-mail to TalkSport to which I received no reply. :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Rik said:
How increadibly grown up! Act your age Marc, not your shoe size. You are the 1st to condemn someone when they don't share your views, so if you can't take it don't dish it out.
Who's said anything about not being able to take it?

I just don't see what is wrong with praising people for performing well, which is what they did at times.

And for expressing that view, I get insulted.

Funny how, yet again, you single out one person expressing a view.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Re: Talk Sport radio in the UK....

marc71178 said:
Who's said anything about not being able to take it?

I just don't see what is wrong with praising people for performing well, which is what they did at times.

And for expressing that view, I get insulted.

Funny how, yet again, you single out one person expressing a view.
Don't try acting the innocent injured victim Marc. It doesn't suit you. You get singled out for writing a comment designed only to wind certain people up because they don't share your view, and also you were the only person who did that, hard not to single someone out if your the only one doing it isn't it? Should I go and pick on someone else who didn't say anything? The good thing is that it's so obvious you did it purely for that reason, everyone will be able to see through this "Who? Me? I'm innocent!" play acting. As I said before, if you can't take it don't dish it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.