• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Hick appointed Australian batting coach

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This appointment will doubtless help Australia's batsmen dominate in the County matches on the next Ashes tour.
I think it's a pretty widely held fact that Graeme Hick was one of the most gifted batsman of all time whos only fallibility was his mental approach. Luckily nerves don't usually affect coaches as much as they do batsmen.

But hey, go the media 'if it's not a dinky die Aussie bloke in a role, we'll question their existence' way if you must.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why?? How many test wickets does David Saker have?? No one questions his credentials as a bowling coach.

Gonna go and add to the overrated thread...........Coaches should have had stellar playing careers.
If you'd quoted my whole post you'd have seen that I pretty much said that in the first line.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I hope one of the first things he addresses is this absurd approach by our esteemed leaders (Messrs Smith and Warner) that every ball on the subcontinent 'has your name on it'. Ugh.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yep, this you'd have to imagine is where the appointment comes from as well as the factors SteveNZ mentioned. For all his frailties, Hick knew how to bash spinners not named Warne.
The last part is not factually correct - Warne's record against Hick is distinctly average. Granted the dismissal at Brisbane in 1994 was incredibly embarrassing - caught behind while attempting to get his bat out of the way - it also happens to be the only time Warne ever dismissed him in test match cricket.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah and compared to some of his more esteemed peers eg Atherton he has a much more impressive record against Aussie Attacks

His 3 ODI tons in 4 games in the '98/99 tri series against Australia/SL (with prime Warne/Murali representing them) showed he could handle spin fine.

Hick could bloody well bat. What really hurt his record and his overall stats was his average against Wasim/Waqar and Ambrose/Walsh, unfortunate he had a career during so many ATG bowler's primes

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to note the ACB thinks we won't be facing much short stuff over the next few years. Maybe they have inside word on a change in the rules to 0 bouncers per over.