• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Hick appointed Australian batting coach

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mainly because some of the Australian cricket media is woeful in that sense, as are the casual fans.

Lehmann getting early success just cemented this further.
Guilty. We don't need overseas coaching staff

Remember how well Micky Arthur turned out

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
2017/18
?
CT in 2017
5 ODI's + 1 T20 in 2018
CWC in 2019

And looking further ahead if they go back to normal Ashes cycle's they should be in England in 2020, but the FTP doesn't go that far. So in actual fact we've got the pleasure of hosting the Cons 4 times in 4 years.

Burgey

So he's got a load of FC runs. Also, from one series in India that ended with a century and a 50 he may be being backed as a real thinker on batting against spin.
TBF, I think there might have been one century and a 50 scored by Australia on our last tour of India, so what can Hick teach them?

vcs

So he's got a load of FC runs. Also, from one series in India that ended with a century and a 50 he may be being backed as a real thinker on batting against spin.
He used his feet really well against spin. I watched that "Spinwash" series between India and England in '93, he was one of the few English batsmen who had a clue how to cope with a rampaging Kumble, Raju and Chauhan (lol). Scored a good century in one of the ODIs on that tour as well.

Top_Cat

He used his feet really well against spin. I watched that "Spinwash" series between India and England in '93, he was one of the few English batsmen who had a clue how to cope with a rampaging Kumble, Raju and Chauhan (lol). Scored a good century in one of the ODIs on that tour as well.
Yep, this you'd have to imagine is where the appointment comes from as well as the factors SteveNZ mentioned. For all his frailties, Hick knew how to bash spinners not named Warne.

91Jmay

International Coach
Guessing much of the dismay is that he doesn't have 1000 legendary stories of drinking beer and being a good bloke. zzzzzz

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Was a good batsman, fundamentally. Seems like a smart guy too. Might be ok, in spite of my initial reactions.

Must be hard to command respect from guys making test runs when you couldnt quite make it at that level yourself...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Must be hard to command respect from guys making test runs when you couldnt quite make it at that level yourself...
Why?? How many test wickets does David Saker have?? No one questions his credentials as a bowling coach.

Gonna go and add to the overrated thread...........Coaches should have had stellar playing careers.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was a good batsman, fundamentally. Seems like a smart guy too. Might be ok, in spite of my initial reactions.

Tbf most of the successful coaches in recent times haven't been ATG players (except, maybe, Flower).

Spikey

Yeah, seemed pretty sensible to me

Can see where the whole insular 'jobs for the boys' thinking gains ground. As soon as Australia try something different they get mocked for it.
I mean, Hick's been around Australian cricket circles for yeas now, so it's not really that different anyway

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Guilty. We don't need overseas coaching staff

Remember how well Micky Arthur turned out
You can't use one bad intl experience to tarnish every cricket brain outside of these shores, surely?

Also Arthur hasn't done too bad for Pakistan has he? #1 in the world.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isn't a person who had mental frailties best positioned to help those people fight them?

Those who found it easiest rarely make the best coaches.