• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Sussex Retain The County Championship?

Langeveldt

Soutie
No... Because apart from guys at the top like Surrey, and at the bottom like Durham and Derbyshire and to a lesser extent Somerset, the CC is just a mush of mediocre teams who are very similar in ability...

If surrey dont win it, it could be anyones year... as usual....

Bouncer

State Regular
Very good post, i was in england last summer and followed Suusex and surrey very closely.
So if nor Sussex who do u think is going to be champion this Yr. Does surrey have any chance, they were unlucky last yr i think?

Sussex are still going with Mushtaq and Goodwin, lets see how they do this season?

Rich2001

International Captain
No... They won simply because of Mushtaq IMO and now teams have had a season to get use to him now and I bet he wont get anywhere near the 100+ wickets he got last season.

And I think alot of teams have improved their squads alot this season and Sussex have done very little apart from bring Ian Ward in, they also got rid of some very talented players too.

I think as had been said alot of the teams are very equal now, and any number of teams Could take the title.

Surrey were only unlucky in the fact they got so many draws, at the end of the day it was quite even in that I recall a few of them games, Surrey on the losing part before the draw saved them (Lancashire opening day springs to mind) and I think 1/2 were due to weather.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe Yorkshire if they get their line-up right, some luck and anything could happen.

Lancashire probably have the best batting line-up of all County Championship sides with Hooper, Law etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sussex didn't really deserve the Championship last year IMO and I'd be very surprised to see them retain it.
Not as disappointed as I'd be if we miss promotion again.

Craig

World Traveller
Well a club like Yorkshire should always be there or there about's in Division 1.

Another run gluttonery for Mark Ramprakash I predict.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Maybe Yorkshire if they get their line-up right, some luck and anything could happen.
They'd need a hell of a lot of luck to win the Championship from Division 2!!!!!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
They could win it again, but Goodwin and Mushy played out of their skins last year. I'm hoping someone else will win it, like Kent or Middlesex but it will probably be Surrey.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
They'd need a hell of a lot of luck to win the Championship from Division 2!!!!!!
Well of course. They need some luck and get their line-up and everything working right to win Div 2.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Rik said:
They could win it again, but Goodwin and Mushy played out of their skins last year. I'm hoping someone else will win it, like Kent or Middlesex but it will probably be Surrey.
Goodwin did well last year, but if you take his treble century out of the equation, his record was not that stunning, averaging under 50 I think. Sussex would probably still have become champions without that great innings.

Mushy was outstanding last year, but often players find life harder in their second season as teams get used to their style of bowling. Saqlain was unplayable in his first season with Surrey, yet last season he averaged over 30.

It would be good to see Kent win it, and I think they have a chance if the England selectors bizarely continue to ignore the brilliant Martin Saggers.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
Goodwin did well last year, but if you take his treble century out of the equation, his record was not that stunning, averaging under 50 I think. Sussex would probably still have become champions without that great innings.

Mushy was outstanding last year, but often players find life harder in their second season as teams get used to their style of bowling. Saqlain was unplayable in his first season with Surrey, yet last season he averaged over 30.

It would be good to see Kent win it, and I think they have a chance if the England selectors bizarely continue to ignore the brilliant Martin Saggers.
Saqlain was pretty damn effective for a long time and last year was his 1st bad year if my memory serves me. Goodwin certainly made their job easier!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
It took about 4 seasons for anyone to get used to Saqlain, and if Mushtaq bowls like he bowled last season it doesn't matter how used anyone gets to him - he'll still take a stack of wickets.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Sussex didn't really deserve the Championship last year IMO and I'd be very surprised to see them retain it.
Not as disappointed as I'd be if we miss promotion again.

I agree, they probably won't retain it... But why didn't they deserve it??? Seemed like a good honest campaign to me....

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I agree, they probably won't retain it... But why didn't they deserve it??? Seemed like a good honest campaign to me....
yeah Sussex won it fairly and squarely...but i cant help but think that lancashire were the better squad.

This year is lancashires year

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
yeah Sussex won it fairly and squarely...but i cant help but think that lancashire were the better squad.

This year is lancashires year
Agreed , both points...

Lancashire's year? Arent you in Keighley?? :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:

IIRC Lancashire were hit by the rain a lot more than other teams.

Mind you, I'm hoping to get to Warwickshire vs Lancashire this year (it's at an outground!)