• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen on playing for South Africa

slippy888

International Captain
You’ve floated the idea of an international comeback with South Africa…

Yeah that could happen - who knows? We’ll just have to see where I’m at when I qualify and if it can work. I don’t feel old in myself and I know I can still contribute so much, so why not?

That would be quite a move wouldn’t it?

No, not really. And I say that because South Africa is where I lived for 20 years. I’m still there so often - I’ve been in South Africa three times in the last six weeks and I’m going back in a couple of weeks’ time. It’s the easiest thing in the world, you can commute from London to South Africa; it’s only ever a nice flight.

What about in the context of having been a successful batsman for England. Would it be an unusual thing to go and play for South Africa?

Well I play in different leagues around the world, so it wouldn’t be any different. It’s just cricket.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-yahoo-sport-interview-kevin-073456408.html

I think the international comer back is on and it will be a good move from South Africa to sign up the home boy

Marius

International Debutant
You’ve floated the idea of an international comeback with South Africa…

Yeah that could happen - who knows? We’ll just have to see where I’m at when I qualify and if it can work. I don’t feel old in myself and I know I can still contribute so much, so why not?

That would be quite a move wouldn’t it?

No, not really. And I say that because South Africa is where I lived for 20 years. I’m still there so often - I’ve been in South Africa three times in the last six weeks and I’m going back in a couple of weeks’ time. It’s the easiest thing in the world, you can commute from London to South Africa; it’s only ever a nice flight.

What about in the context of having been a successful batsman for England. Would it be an unusual thing to go and play for South Africa?

Well I play in different leagues around the world, so it wouldn’t be any different. It’s just cricket.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-yahoo-sport-interview-kevin-073456408.html

I think the international comer back is on and it will be a good move from South Africa to sign up the home boy
More chance of Graeme Pollock being picked for the Proteas than of KP, to be honest.

Shady Slim

International Coach
if they didn't already have a middle order conundrum he could definitely snag a spot somewhere in some team

but with the outside factors, as well as the emergence of newer middle order players like bavuma and rossouw (who i don't like personally but still), there isn't much space imo

cnerd123

likes this
Wait, wasn't the whole reason KP left South Africa to begin with the Quota system in club cricket?

If so, this would be an odd time to return to the Nat team.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would they even bother when he becomes eligible, **** **** who will be well past his prime.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, wasn't the whole reason KP left South Africa to begin with the Quota system in club cricket?

If so, this would be an odd time to return to the Nat team.
Haha exactly what I was thinking.

He's obviously just trolling. He doesn't want to come back and he knows he can't anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still better than all their bats not named Amla or de Villiers.
GF you're a relatively level-headed person on most things, yet your love for KP is bizarre, When did he last play cricket? Hasn't he got a dodgy knee? Will that dodgy knee be better in a couple of years time?

Oh and that's without mentioning the entire quota thing which makes it utterly untenable for him to play.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nothing in this would benefit SA cricket (or cricket in general). Everything about it would benefit KP.

So pretty much consistent with his whole career to date,

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, yeah with all the challenges SA cricket already have with quota numbers, they're really going to want to bother with some over-the-hill egotistical white player who left SA cricket stranded when he was in his prime, saying nothing of all the messy baggage... The suggestion is a def troll.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, yeah with all the challenges SA cricket already have with quota numbers, they're really going to want to bother with some over-the-hill egotistical white player who left SA cricket stranded when he was in his prime, saying nothing of all the messy baggage... The suggestion is a def troll.
Well he wasn't in his prime, but he's on public record that he left because of quotas being unfair on him, so how he comes back in a time when quotas are being strengthened is frankly incomprehensible.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He knows it won't happen but it keeps his name in the papers

End of discussion, thread closed

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I love KP as a batsman but this obviously is not happening and he is juz gonna be a T20 mercenary till he actually retires. Not that is much of a wrong thing though, given how cricket boards around the world are, more and more people are gonna do this...