• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two-tier proposal shelved at ICC meeting

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Based on above article, my understanding is the rights these countries are pooling are primarily for the india series. What is happening is that the marquee series (series with india, and the ashes) are getting good money, but other series are getting nothing. So, these guys are looking to pool things together, so the channels have to buy all of them or none. There were some articles on cricinfo about india getting isolated in all this politics. I think india getting isolated is so far away on the horizon, it is not even a credible thought. The other boards fear BCCI not because BCCI threatens them, but because BCCI can cause immense damage if it chooses to. In most situations (like the WI team pulling out mid series) BCCI is actually quite reasonable (don't think any other board would have written off a $42mil loss so easily). They really don't need to threaten to get their way, so they don't.

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In the end, it all does come down to money, CA/ECB side is trying to maximize its revenue by making a stronger case to indian broadcasters (i.e. by clubbing their india matches with other financially unattractive ones) while BCCI is doing what it seems to consider best for them and their backers like Zim/BCB/WI. Each sides vision of cricket world down the road is inextricably linked to money, there is nothing dandy about it. Each side is masking their true motives under the garb of collective good of cricket as a game.

But to hope that bcci will take lightly efforts to constraint its finances is wishing too much, like reducing india's share in icc revenue from 22% to 15%. Especially since an overwhelming majority of finances comes from indian market.

Last edited: