• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two-tier proposal shelved at ICC meeting

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes.. that is why I support every person from Chennai.. why I said Dhoni is better than Karthik..

Really the biggest kiss ass here is you Daemon. I dunno how unfortunate your personal life is but God it must be **** given how hard you try to be cool and fit in here and just try to insult people for the heck of it... 8-) I wish you had a better life not to have to try so hard to be seen as cool in a cricket forum, even if it means turning a blind eye to every fact there is...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was thinking of a good comeback to the earlier post but it appears you're quite content in embarrassing yourself with no assistance. Carry on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The other countries should try making some money and not being run as a basket case.

If this would have created more test teams this would have been a good thing. But still not 100 per cent convinced reducing the number of teams that the top teams play is a way forward. Always been unsure about the tier system.
2 tier system already exists. England haven't had a bilateral series against Zimbabwe since 2004, and Bangladesh have never toured India, and haven't toured England since 2010 (and aren't scheduled to anytime soon.) No idea if they've ever been to Australia either.

TheJediBrah

2 tier system already exists. England haven't had a bilateral series against Zimbabwe since 2004, and Bangladesh have never toured India, and haven't toured England since 2010 (and aren't scheduled to anytime soon.) No idea if they've ever been to Australia either.
Bangladesh have been to Australia once for 2 Tests in 2003,that's it, and there's only been 3 Aus v Zim Tests in the history of cricket

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah they were supposed to play 2 Tests in August 2007 or 2008 that Cricket Australia postponed and then just never bothered rescheduling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its all about the money... The moment you can create a system where the richer boards get to keep their money (and in this case that is just the BCCI), they will be ok with any system that will get more eyeballs on TV for the games. This working out pooled overseas rights stuff might just create enough financial muscle for the others against BCCI. But then again, I am not holding my breath expecting any of the boards doing the right thing for the game.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
That's surprising to hear how little Zimbabwe have played Australia. Thought there might have been more matches during the Flower era.

If the rights are shared, does it mean that whoever wins the rights has to basically show all the international cricket that is played? I wouldn't mind that as a viewer tbh - a series of channels for everything cricket. There are series which don't get brodcasted here (like the PakvAus one when YK ruled), and would be ace if they get shown here.

I guess the some of the boards want this as the no of TV rights bidders in India has decreased so there will be less inflation of the price because of bidding wars.

What they could do is not have the sharing percentage equal amongst the boards? That will keep the BCCI happy, and the poorer boards will be more financially secure. A small percentage of the shared rights would be still more lucrative for the WICB and SLC then a SLvWI series will ever be.

morgieb

I'd like to see CricInfo take on a ********* package for a price of certain international matches. Would be better quality than the illegal ones and helps out people without pay TV :p

Shady Slim

International Coach
real talk what if we take the big three and small seven concept one step further and make those the divisions

the ashes could be every six months ffs

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see CricInfo take on a ********* package for a price of certain international matches. Would be better quality than the illegal ones and helps out people without pay TV :p
This would be soooooooooo gun!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes I'm not saying what we have is great. How often do I note that test cricket is run poorly on here. It's a joke.

Question, under the tier system do we see lanka beat Australia 3-0?

listento_me

U19 Captain
An Alternative

I'm not convinced with a two tier system myself, especially with the prospect that some teams would forever be locked in the bottom half, i.e. the Windies and their intriguing tours of England will be highly unlikely. Having said that, I think there needs to be a separation between the top 8 teams and the bottom 2. I believe the way things stand in the rankings, the top 8 teams are the core of test cricket and with the exception of SL, have been for 50 years.

My proposal is this and I'll use the current rankings as an example:

The championship takes place over a period of 2 years, in which the top 8 teams are divided into 2 groups of 4. Each group must contain 2 of the top 4 seeded teams, so as thing stand, the groups could be:

Aus
Pak
WI
SL

Eng
Ind
NZ
SA

Each team in each group plays each other, home and away. That not only provides regularly test series' with limited gaps in between but a 2 year period makes for a solid deadline in between the world cup and champs trophy. We won't see gaps like the one between the two most recent test series's featuring Pakistan.

At the end of each cycle, the top team in each group plays each other in a 3 test series to determine a champion. This will be held at a neutral venue, decided much the same way as the venue for a world cup is. I'd prefer Lords.

After the final, there can be a cool off period of 6 months where any test team can organise a bilateral series.

As for Bang and Zimb they can be relegated to played 3 or 4 day games, along with high ranking associates, so Irl and Afg can be possibilities. The two teams with the best record can then play the two teams with the worst record from the top 8 and the winners can become part of the top 8.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Sri Lanka are better away from home we do.
But they're not.

So my question is, would we have seen Australia get dominated by Sri Lanka under this tier system as it stands? If yes then fine. But if no, that's a flaw.

I think the fact this system would have involved bringing more teams into test cricket means it was probably better for it to have actually been implemented rather than voted down. But something about splitting test cricket up makes me uneasy.

Anyway, at the end of the day this is all moot because India sided with Lanka.

91Jmay

International Coach
But they're not.

So my question is, would we have seen Australia get dominated by Sri Lanka under this tier system as it stands? If yes then fine. But if no, that's a flaw.

I think the fact this system would have involved bringing more teams into test cricket means it was probably better for it to have actually been implemented rather than voted down. But something about splitting test cricket up makes me uneasy.

Anyway, at the end of the day this is all moot because India sided with Lanka.
Good chance Sri Lanka play more home games under that system, so I'd imagine they would be tier 1. I can see arguments for or against to be honest.