• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two-tier proposal shelved at ICC meeting

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sure this is related to the ridiculous budget given to the ECB for the Champion's Trophy next year and the revenue-sharing model. The BCCI is rightfully opposed to the former and wrongly miffed about the latter. It needed guaranteed support from some of the other boards when it begins to tackle those issues, and now has it at basically no cost.

The vote didn't happen because it needed a 7/10 majority to pass. With 4 boards openly against it, there was no need. What I am surprised about though is the arrogance implied by the BCCI they can also get the PCB on board. Any Asian-block alliance would surely be shaky after how they treated the PCB with their bilateral tours agreement?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The vote didn't happen because it needed a 7/10 majority to pass. With 4 boards openly against it, there was no need. What I am surprised about though is the arrogance implied by the BCCI they can also get the PCB on board. Any Asian-block alliance would surely be shaky after how they treated the PCB with their bilateral tours agreement?
It's the SLC, not the PCB that they have on board.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
It's the SLC, not the PCB that they have on board.
I know. I was referring to this:

Four countries are definitely opposing it and I’m sure even Pakistan will join us. We are opposing centralised marketing of the (global) broadcast rights as well, because it’s a rubbish concept. Two-tier and centralised marketing are a combined thing and both have been opposed. With four countries opposing it, ICC have to go back to the old formula. Indian cricket would be trampled otherwise,” BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke told The Indian Express.
BCCI, three other full members oppose two-tier Test system | The Indian Express

It surprised me the BCCI thinks the PCB will team up given how they've been treated recently.

DriveClub

International Regular
I remember Slc president saying he's opposed to two tier cricket in absolute terms during the 2nd aus vs sl test I think when he hijacked the commentary to give his sermon. Can't begrudge slc that when they were watching Sl whitewashing the world number 1 test team.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, why does everything **** in cricket have some connection to India?
Because ICC wants to use the money cricket makes in India in ways that BCCI disagrees with. This leads to BCCI blocking **** elsewhere for leverage.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Test Championship playoff, ODI league on the cards

I like the idea of a Test play-off... but it just does not work without everybody playing everybody else over a cycle... it is just not on equal footing otherwise.

A longer cycle, in which all teams played each other over four years, has been deemed too hard to follow. "Overall it is now a pretty compelling model for all countries. There is very strong alignment on the structure and context for the three formats, and the need for change and improvement," a representative from an influential board said.
whats hard to follow?

We all know that this is about money... so why bother talking about the good of the sport.

PS: Oh and how does Zim get a vote on a two-tier new structure, but Ireland and Scotland don`t?

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It also looks like at least Eng, Aus and SA may pool their collective TV rights (much to BCCI chagrin)... that may give a bit more financial clout as a collective. And maybe I will get to see some county cricket as well..:)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The other countries should try making some money and not being run as a basket case.

If this would have created more test teams this would have been a good thing. But still not 100 per cent convinced reducing the number of teams that the top teams play is a way forward. Always been unsure about the tier system.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol @ people still believing Shashank Manohar's drivel. He got BCCI to get him to ICC coz he knew the Supreme Court would debar his position as BCCI president. And he talks about serving 105+ countries... Politician to the core.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tiny a step it may be, it's still one in the right direction, away from Srinivasan

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah... you are trading an arrogant guy who will at least help 3 of the boards to a filthy cheap kiss ass politician who will serve nothing but his very own interests. IT sure is a tiny step, but in the wrong direction.