• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

500!

Two five fors in the comeback match, Wins the match for australia, lays the spinner argument to rest. You could`nt write it.

DA MAN :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
cant u restrict ur posts to the official aussie vs srilanka thread
No, he's just being a proper Aussie and flaunting one of our own's magical success for everyone to see. It's only right :P

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Awesome achievement for Warney, 500 wickets is something to be proud of but I fail to see how it puts the spinner argument to rest. Believe me that is very debateable.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see the best man win the race to 500 :)

fantastic achievment for a fantastic bowler.

and i think this one is definatley worth its own thread.

desai

Cricket Spectator
warne has once again shown that he can take wickets against best batsman of spin bowling... but still he has to prove against indians [ masters and commandors of playing spin ] ... and i hope this time he goes to india with good form and no injuries

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Yup, well done Warnie, one of my heroes, me being a Wrist Spinner as well.

His final wickets total will be dwarfed by how many Murali will end up with though.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
Two five fors in the comeback match, Wins the match for australia, lays the spinner argument to rest. You could`nt write it.

DA MAN :D
Its a great achievement but definetly does not lay the spinner argument to rest. Note that Murali has played far less matches and his overall record is much better. Considering the difference in matches played he should not even be challenging Warne in the battle to 500 wickets. Also Murali actually took more wickets in this match and if he stays fit his final total will surely dwarf Warne's.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Its a great achievement but definetly does not lay the spinner argument to rest. Note that Murali has played far less matches and his overall record is much better. Considering the difference in matches played he should not even be challenging Warne in the battle to 500 wickets. Also Murali actually took more wickets in this match and if he stays fit his final total will surely dwarf Warne's.
i think that argument has been laid to rest...two different types of bowler,who play in different conditions etc....leave it at them both being all time greats

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
and just to say that yeah warne has played in 22 more tests, but he has only bowled 791 balls more..Murali's strike rate is only 1 ball per wicket better

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
and just to say that yeah warne has played in 22 more tests, but he has only bowled 791 balls more..Murali's strike rate is only 1 ball per wicket better
791 balls is a fair amount. Murali could expect to take about 15 wickets in his next 791 deliveries. That would put him ahead of Warne.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
well, don't get me wrong I am a massive fan of Warne's, he is one of my cricketing heroes but i rate Muralitharan as the better bowler.

Warne has a lot of things going for him that Murali doesn't. Warne has good bowlers as back-up, Murali only has Vaas. Warne plays for a team who can regularly post huge totals thus no pressure on Warne, he has plenty of time and runs to play with. He can set very aggressive and attacking fields. Whereas Murali, pretty much, carries the Sri Lankan bowling attack and is expected to take wickets. All of this just emphasizes what a fantastic record Murali has got.

Murali will end up as the leading Test Wicketaker ever and his record will take some beating.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
791 balls is a fair amount. Murali could expect to take about 15 wickets in his next 791 deliveries. That would put him ahead of Warne.
well in actual fact i would say at his current strike rate, he would get 13 wickets in 791 balls..that would put Murali a whole 8 wickets ahead of Warne...wow...8 out of 500 odd...thats a whole 1.6% better...yeah Murali has been so much better than Warne.

And then in June Sri Lanka go to Australia...do you think Murali will have the same success in Australia as Warne will.....nah!!!

Why dont you just accept that there really is nothing to separte the two bowlers...nothing of any real note anyway

Swervy

International Captain
PommieMacGill said:
well, don't get me wrong I am a massive fan of Warne's, he is one of my cricketing heroes but i rate Muralitharan as the better bowler.

Warne has a lot of things going for him that Murali doesn't. Warne has good bowlers as back-up, Murali only has Vaas. Warne plays for a team who can regularly post huge totals thus no pressure on Warne, he has plenty of time and runs to play with. He can set very aggressive and attacking fields. Whereas Murali, pretty much, carries the Sri Lankan bowling attack and is expected to take wickets. All of this just emphasizes what a fantastic record Murali has got.

Murali will end up as the leading Test Wicketaker ever and his record will take some beating.
i agree with a lot of what you say there and yes Murali will set a very imposing record I think...but all this about having support...could it not be said that WArne has to compete for wickets with the likes of McGrath and Gillespie etc,and so it could possibly be said that it is harder for him to take the big wicket hauls..indeed have a look at Muralis figures 41 five wicket hauls and 13 ten wicket matches...he bowls a lot more per test than Warne and there really isnt anyone else in SL team to reallly compete for those wickets.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Why dont you just accept that there really is nothing to separte the two bowlers...nothing of any real note anyway
Huh? Of course there is, read my posts man.

Warne has it easy compared to Murali. Warne has the luxery of bowling without any pressure as his side can score massive totals allowing Warne to bowl to aggressive, wicket-taking fields. Warne has had a good string of bowlers as support. Well, not just good, world-class bowlers to support him.

Murali has one good bowler supporting him, that's Vaas. Murali is expected to take wickets, he has the pressure of this going through his mind everytime he bowls. He often doesnt have very many runs to play with which does, and you cannot argue, make his record quite staggering!

Swervy

International Captain
PommieMacGill said:
Huh? Of course there is, read my posts man.

Warne has it easy compared to Murali. Warne has the luxery of bowling without any pressure as his side can score massive totals allowing Warne to bowl to aggressive, wicket-taking fields. Warne has had a good string of bowlers as support. Well, not just good, world-class bowlers to support him.

Murali has one good bowler supporting him, that's Vaas. Murali is expected to take wickets, he has the pressure of this going through his mind everytime he bowls. He often doesnt have very many runs to play with which does, and you cannot argue, make his record quite staggering!
yes his record is staggering...but also bare in mind how many wickets Murali has taken in Sri Lanka...pitches that are 100% suited to his bowling.

The thing about having more agressive field placing and all that..well leg spinning is a more aggressive method of bowling than off spin....

Murali will get wickets coz he is bowled so much per test match...look at the last game..Australia completely shut him out in the second innings, but becuase he bowled so much eventually he got a five wicket haul (although that was mainly due to Australia trying to push the score along).

In pretty much the same conditions and bowling vs batsmen who are very good players of spin, Warne took 5 in 15 overs.

Dont get me wrong..I think Murali is a legend,an all time great...but I just dont think you can truly compare the two players because they are chalk and cheese as far as I am concerned