• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

500!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Murali still has a better strike rate...
...because he plays in Sri Lanka, where it spins, rather than in Australia, where it doesn't.

Put Warne in Sri Lanka, and Murali in Australia, and you'd all be saying that Warne is miles better.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
...because he plays in Sri Lanka, where it spins, rather than in Australia, where it doesn't.

Put Warne in Sri Lanka, and Murali in Australia, and you'd all be saying that Warne is miles better.
If anything, being played defensively all the time and still having a better strike rate is pretty amazing, as I stated before. It's harder to bowl or get a batsman out if he's hell bent on defending everything, a la Hoggard. Murali not only has a lower average, but the strike rate is the real clincher here, he still has a better one despite being played out defensively all the time. As also stated before Warne relies more on bounce than turn so he's probably better off in Australia. Warne has also been part of a strong attack for a long time, so you would expect a lower strike rate because of the pressure exerted by Glenn McGrath, who stops the batsmen scoring and forces them to take the attack to Warne.

Craig

World Traveller
Rik said:
Forgetting Harbhajan? How to destroy the Aussies with a bowler suddenly everyone thinks is amazing in 3...2...1...
Personally I think he is a one series wonder. Still 32 wickets is a great achievement.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:

But Warne doesn't exactly have a great track record where it spins. And don't give me any rubbish about the last Tests. That was one Test match, but it's Warne's first true success on the subcontinent.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Personally I think he is a one series wonder. Still 32 wickets is a great achievement.
Bowled pretty well to us when we were over there, along with Kumble. Picked up a few 5-fors each. But it was a very weak England side.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Warne doesn't exactly have a great track record where it spins. And don't give me any rubbish about the last Tests. That was one Test match, but it's Warne's first true success on the subcontinent.
You are forgetting the Tests against Pakistan where he destroyed them, but then again, Pakistan picked almost an entire team of teenagers...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Rik said:
You are forgetting the Tests against Pakistan where he destroyed them, but then again, Pakistan picked almost an entire team of teenagers...
I believe he had some brilliat series against them in '95.

With a broken toe in 1 of the Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Pakistan isn't as spin-friendly as the others though. Also, I don't consider that series a proper series. Huge mismatch IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
Rik said:
Bowled pretty well to us when we were over there, along with Kumble. Picked up a few 5-fors each. But it was a very weak England side.
He had the measure of Flintoff in that series. Flintoff had no idea with the bat.

An average of 5.2 over there is only good if your Chris Martin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
He had the measure of Flintoff in that series. Flintoff had no idea with the bat.
That was the old style Flintoff - the current model wouldn't score so lowly IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Rik said:
If anything, being played defensively all the time and still having a better strike rate is pretty amazing, as I stated before. It's harder to bowl or get a batsman out if he's hell bent on defending everything, a la Hoggard. Murali not only has a lower average, but the strike rate is the real clincher here, he still has a better one despite being played out defensively all the time. As also stated before Warne relies more on bounce than turn so he's probably better off in Australia. Warne has also been part of a strong attack for a long time, so you would expect a lower strike rate because of the pressure exerted by Glenn McGrath, who stops the batsmen scoring and forces them to take the attack to Warne.
But he has a huge advantage by playing in Sri Lanka, rather than Australia!!!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just noticed another series.

Wickets at 14.37 each, best 5/52.

In Sri Lanka.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
But he has a huge advantage by playing in Sri Lanka, rather than Australia!!!
As you said, and if you had read what I posted you would understand that I explained exactly why it isn't really an amazing advantage, taking into account of their major weapons, Murali's spin and Warne's bounce and spin...Warne bowls better in bouncy conditions...

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
500 wickets for warne.....congrats

500 wickets for Murali.......congrats again

But here's something to ponder about!!!........

WARNE: reached 500 hundred wickets in his 108th test match

MURALI: in his 108th test match (if he continues with his current wicket taking rate) should have approximately 650 victims in the bag.

i dunno if anyone had mentioned this earlier but this was something that Steve Waugh actually pointed out.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Fair pont, but he bowls many more overs per match, so irrelevant IMO.

What are thos figures now? Is it...what? 1-124?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cactus said:
WARNE: reached 500 hundred wickets in his 108th test match

MURALI: in his 108th test match (if he continues with his current wicket taking rate) should have approximately 650 victims in the bag.
Yes, but when you look at strike rates, they're amazingly close...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
What are thos figures now? Is it...what? 1-124?
Yet another point that proves nothing. He's playing Australia, Australia are a better batting side! GET IT?