• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does this site underrate/overrate?

91Jmay

International Coach
Keep it off individuals opinions please, but what is the received wisdom on cricketweb that you don't buy.

For me:

Underrates: Big runs on flat pitches
Overrates: Wicket keeping when rating wicketkeeper/batsmen. It isn't as important as made out by some of the purists.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Underrates: Home performances - seems to only be about 'away'.

Also feel most non-SC posters overrate batsmen who play well in bouncy/seam conditions and underrate those who play spin well on slow pitches... I think I tend to default into that camp at a subconscious level..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Over-rated: The fact New Zealand jammed a draw in England in 2015
Performances in Asia/Subcontinent/India (delete as apporopriate to prove that player X is ****)
Ajinkya Rahane

91Jmay

International Coach
I think cricketweb has an obsession over a player having a 'complete' record, probably to a fault. Which I am 100% guilty of.

Also think a lot of non-SC posters see spin bowling as 'not real cricket' vs pace bowling.

Burgey

I think a lot of subcontinental posters are perfectly within their rights to yap up the records of different players there. They just need reminding that no subcontinent player has ever won a test series in Australia. Ever.

Burgey

*****, my apologies for pointing out a fact.

There's a serious tendency when rating players on this site to overrate blokes who excel in the SC but gloss over their mediocre records here.

It's every bit as prevalent as the opposite form of bias. It's just when I express the latter I do so far more eloquently than those who espouse the former, which is why it sticks in peoples' fragile little minds.

OverratedSanity

Overrated : This site's NZ posters. Much like their cricket team, they used to be the likeable ones and hit their peak (atleast in numbers if not in quality) in 2014-15. Now they're the ****tiest group on here. Constantly getting into silly little fights, stinking up the politics thread, using ****** injokes which even half you nzers don't get, and generally being a testy and irritable bunch.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like all of you blokes individually, but as a group, the decline has been steep. Far less than the sum of the parts. Blocky may actually need to come back. Proved a brilliant common foe.

cnerd123

likes this
Overrated : This site's NZ posters. Much like their cricket team, they used to be the likeable ones and hit their peak (atleast in numbers if not in quality) in 2014-15. Now they're the ****tiest group on here. Constantly getting into silly little fights, stinking up the politics thread, using ****** injokes which even half you nzers don't get, and generally being a testy and irritable bunch.
[

viriya

International Captain
overrates: Mark Waugh, Michael Slater, Adam Gilchrist, style, "complete" record, downhill skiing, golden age players, performances vs Aus/SA/Eng
underrates: Mahela Jayawardene, Muttiah Muralitharan, George Lohmann, substance, dominating inferior teams, dominating in flat surfaces, modern era players