• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies not in champions trophy 2017

slippy888

International Captain
Considering they won it in 2004 and won the world 20 20 cup this year this makes no sense not to have windies in tournament

Howe_zat

Audio File
Given that no one from the 2004 side will be playing and not many from the T20 side, neither of those wins are relevant.

West Indies aren't playing because this is the one trophy that everyone has to qualify for, and they didn't qualify.

It's literally the first ever ICC tournament that had a completely fair means of entry.

91Jmay

International Coach
It is a shocking decision from the ICC to enforce their qualification rules for their event?

I give up.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does seem a pointless tournament - if the ICC want to create interest in my opinion they'd do better to have another T20 jolly

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's not even an argument that the West Indies attracts more of a market seeing as Pakistan and Bangladesh will both have far more people watching if their team is included.

just purest drivel from start to finish

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i think the question we all need to consider is.....

does the icc champions trophy need a strong west indies?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't agree with the qualification being set this far out from the tournament. About the only thing I can criticise.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't agree with the qualification being set this far out from the tournament. About the only thing I can criticise.
Yeah the only thing really needed with qualification is to ensure that cricketers have enough time to figure out if they can go and get some practice in. Since some players are still deciding whether or not ot tour Bangladesh a month out from the first tour game that doesn't sound to hard. 6 moths in advance should have been plenty.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that no one from the 2004 side will be playing and not many from the T20 side, neither of those wins are relevant.

West Indies aren't playing because this is the one trophy that everyone has to qualify for, and they didn't qualify.

It's literally the first ever ICC tournament that had a completely fair means of entry.
...for full members

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
West Indies provided stiff competition for Australia and South Africa in the recent Tri-Series (beat SA to the final actually).

While the reasoning behind them missing out is obviously fair and rational, it's still disappointing as you feel that West Indies would have actually had a decent shot at competing for the title. They tend to perform much better in tournaments (probably mostly because their good payers actually make themselves available . . .)

It's nobody's fault but their own though. Still I don't get why they got rid of the pre-tournament qualifying rounds for the "minnows". I thought they were great, gave the lower-ranked teams an opportunity to be involved but didn't clog up the schedule with too many one-sided minnow v big team matches. Would it really make much different to have top 8 + 2 qualifiers, or even top 7 v 1 qualifier or something like that?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just relieved we won't have to endure Bravo lifting the Champions Trophy while doing his idiotic Champions dance