• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Funny how his justification for pulling out is that he's been over in both India and Bangladesh when there's been trouble in the past.

How come those concerns didn't come into his thought process when he was offered some coin to play for T20 franchises?
Because he hadn't directly been affected before he went out there.

FBU

International Debutant
I think just pick the squads for both Bangladesh and India.If a player doesn't want to go to Bangladesh then no India tour.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why would you essentially compel someone to tour if they're outright uncomfortable doing so for security reasons? Like, when there's actual intelligence coming out re attacks on Westerners, I don't think the big issue here is a few guys not feeling safe touring.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sabbir at 3? He's not good enough imo.
For ODIs,

1. Tamim
2. Soumya
3. Shabbir
4. Mushfiq
5. Shakib
6. Mahmudullah
7. Nasir
8. Mashrafe
9. Mosharraf (sla)
10. Taskin (if cleared)
11. Rubel/Al Amin

Fizz missing out is a big blow. Included Nasir only because think his bowling will be useful against England and also strengthens lower order a bit.
Yeah why is Mahmudullah not a permanent number 3 in ODIs?

Also, is Fizz out of the entire England series?

listento_me

U19 Captain
I'm still scratching my head at players and officials concerns over Bangladesh security and all the trouble there but India faces many of the same problems, political, social, military and of course in terms of violence/terrorism. I guess the big bucks really do talk.

In terms of the cricket, England will be in serious trouble, especially in the ODIs, if their best players are missing.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah why is Mahmudullah not a permanent number 3 in ODIs?

Also, is Fizz out of the entire England series?
I was advocating to elevate Mullah to top tier preferrably 3 all throught in many previous occasions but now progressively returning to thoughts of utilizing players in terms of team's best purpose because atm we lack a proper finisher. Mullah is the best finisher atm in the team imo. Shabbir's recent great LOI performance is another reason that I would like him to take this no3 position and work from there. I think this is the best time for him to take up this challenge in ODIs and maybe soon in tests too if mominul cant elevate himself further. This swap is entirely for team balance. After those back to back centuries in Australia playing at 3, Mullah failed to continue the momentum at that position. I think lot of us are not aware of Shabbir's ability yet but think sooner it will come into place. IMHO Shabbir is the best batsman in the team right now and possibly has higher ceiling than shakib, mushfiq or mullah.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm still scratching my head at players and officials concerns over Bangladesh security and all the trouble there but India faces many of the same problems, political, social, military and of course in terms of violence/terrorism. I guess the big bucks really do talk.

In terms of the cricket, England will be in serious trouble, especially in the ODIs, if their best players are missing.
There haven't been terrorist atrocities recently in India where Westerners have been specifically targeted.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Confirmed that Morgan and Hales not travelling.

Seems like all the former players are in agreement that if the tour is cleared to go ahead, then the players should go. I don't have a problem with Morgan pulling out. That's his prerogative. But he shouldn't be guaranteed a return to the team or as captain. Debeatable whether he really should be captain after it.

It's the journos and the fans that travel that I'd imagine will be at more risk. The players won't be leaving the hotel, apart from the cricket.

theegyptian

Probably the end of Hales' test career which I don't think will be a bad thing. Let him concentrate on white ball cricket. Would have been a close run thing for selection even before he pulled out of the tour.

Buttler as captain. Gets a thumbs up from myself. Even better would be Billings as WK with Buttler in the field to marshall his team.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Confirmed that Morgan and Hales not travelling.

Seems like all the former players are in agreement that if the tour is cleared to go ahead, then the players should go. I don't have a problem with Morgan pulling out. That's his prerogative. But he shouldn't be guaranteed a return to the team or as captain. Debeatable whether he really should be captain after it.

It's the journos and the fans that travel that I'd imagine will be at more risk. The players won't be leaving the hotel, apart from the cricket.
Nah, he's been brave and shown leadership on this issue. Strauss' conduct on this issue has been disgraceful, Morgan has stood up to him and in doing so would have given any younger player who had doubts a bit more courage to refuse to tour.

The fact that it's the two players who have played in the Bangladesh Premier League who have refused to tour speaks volumes for me. That should set alarm bells ringing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank **** that'll be the end of Hales Test career.

Duckett could easily take his opening berth in all forms for this tour. Think we've still got lots of options for who takes Morgan's place, Bairstow or Billings. It's not a bad time for England to lose them in limited overs, maybe even a recall for Davies if they don't fancy Duckett, should be interesting.

In the end there was a fawning piece on cricinfo about Morgan turning England around, but it's the selectors that have done that IMHO, he isn't a great captain IMHO, but I guess we'll see.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, this is almost certainly it for Hales as a test batsmen (or at least until the wheel comes back around again) So you'd think that either he was given a heads up that he was going to lose his spot or his concerns were genuinely serious enough that he was willing to risk his test future over them.

Personally I respect both players choices and really hope (but I doubt) there is no behind the scenes backlash to this beyond the fact that if their replacements perform then they may not get back into the side.

Edit:

Really pleased they gave the captaincy to Jos too........really didn't want them to go with Root.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Nah, he's been brave and shown leadership on this issue. Strauss' conduct on this issue has been disgraceful, Morgan has stood up to him and in doing so would have given any younger player who had doubts a bit more courage to refuse to tour.

The fact that it's the two players who have played in the Bangladesh Premier League who have refused to tour speaks volumes for me. That should set alarm bells ringing.
Hales and Morgan have both been back to Bangladesh with England since they played in the BPL afaik so I don't know why that would have any great relevance. Most of the squad will have been to Bangladesh b4.

He hasn't shown leadership. He's shown his own self interest. The security cleared them to go. Again that's ok. It's his decision. I don't know his personal situation.

But those players that have decided to go, may not look so fondly at Morgan next time he captains them knowing that he was at home whilst they were hauled up in their hotel room with nothing to do for hours on end. That is a problem for his captaincy. Also in his absence Buttler may prove himself a good captain and team leader, and Billings might score a load of runs. Simple truth is that in his absence there are opportunities for those that go. This wasn't a player rested, it was a refusal to go.

I really don't see what Strauss has done wrong. He's laid out what the options are for the players and tried to convince his captain to go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hales and Morgan have both been back to Bangladesh with England since they played in the BPL afaik so I don't know why that would have any great relevance. Most of the squad will have been to Bangladesh b4.

He hasn't shown leadership. He's shown his own self interest. The security cleared them to go. Again that's ok. It's his decision. I don't know his personal situation.

But those players that have decided to go, may not look so fondly at Morgan next time he captains them knowing that he was at home whilst they were hauled up in their hotel room with nothing to do for hours on end. That is a problem for his captaincy. Also in his absence Buttler may prove himself a good captain and team leader, and Billings might score a load of runs. Simple truth is that in his absence there are opportunities for those that go. This wasn't a player rested, it was a refusal to go.

I really don't see what Strauss has done wrong. He's laid out what the options are for the players and tried to convince his captain to go.
Pressuring a captain with reservations about security to go on a tour that Strauss himself skipped when captain is the mark of a ****.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How about not childishly demonizing anyone over this, Strauss is disappointed, he wanted his best team, Hales and Morgan have done what they feel best for themselves and their loved ones. Other players have a chance to displace them if they perform iyt's just the way it is.

So tired of this attritional BS in every form of life now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really hope they don't give it to Root. Why burden our best bat with the job when he's only 25? I just get the feeling that it would weigh heavily on him and he needs to just concentrate on scoring runs.
Because Williamson, Smith and Kohli keep teasing him at best batsman in the world parties.