• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

JRC67

U19 12th Man
This got me thinking about the protocol here. So the squads don't get announced until a week or something after we finish with this Pakistan tour.........and some players are coming out now and saying they will go. Are the players expected to do this before the squad announcement so the selectors know what players they can pick from. Or are the squads announced and then those players named say in or out??

Would be embarrassing for someone like James Vince to come out and say "Yep, I'm definitely in" and then be told sorry we don't need you mate. And conversely, if they name a squad and then 2 or 3 say they don't want to go do the selectors have to go back and announce another squad and keep doing this until they get the numbers they want that want to go??
To be fair to Ali he was asked a question and said he would go if selected. I would hope they would do their selection, then check who will tour and then make an announcement. In reality I think Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Anderson, Broad, Ali, Rashid and Woakes all know they will be selected if available, although it would be a publicity nightmare if they said so. Not sure how the management will play this one, a squad for Bangladesh and India announced at the same time or will they announce the India squad after Bangladesh? It could be a bit of a problem if say Rashid chose not to tour and Leach came in and took a hat full of wickets, but wasn't in the squad for India.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Andy Caddick flew to NZ a few months later to tour. Not buying that for a second.
Things went back to normal as Furball said. But trust me. People were pulling out of all sorts of **** in late 2001. Bands who cancelled tours also flew again a few months later.

91Jmay

International Coach
You go back to normal after a few months.

My parents cancelled a holiday to New York in the immediate aftermath.
New York is literally where the attacks happened. That isn't unreasonable at all. India is thousands of miles away and had no role whatsoever, that is totally unreasonable.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Appealing to what is reasonable is completely off base with terrorism anyway. The rational mind tells you you're more likely to die on the motorway from some idiot swerving across your lane.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully Rashid plays, gets smashed, and then the selectors take the sensible route and pick Ansari in India (if he's not injured again).

91Jmay

International Coach
Appealing to what is reasonable is completely off base with terrorism anyway. The rational mind tells you you're more likely to die on the motorway from some idiot swerving across your lane.
See my earlier point about people being idiots.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I actually think Dawson would shape up pretty well as a batting allrounder in Asia. I've always though he played spin well and is an improved batsman/cricketer. But really England should want the best spinner. Ali is already a batting allrounder, Rashid is unproven and a liability. You need a spinner.

If you want to take Dawson there are two options:

Take him as a batting allrounder instead of a batsman, + 3 other spinners (Ali, Rashid, Rayner/Leach/Batty/whoever).
Or take him instead of Ali, or more likely Rashid

I defended the inclusion of Ansari last winter when people said he was selected because of his batting. I said well he's close to/ if not the best spinner we have. If they pick Dawson this winter I can't really make that argument and the people last winter were probably right about the Ansari inclusion.

Still the newspapers have generally been way off on their predictions/teams this year which probably means they've got no inside information so this is just as likely to be just pure speculation with no basis in fact.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like they are picking Hameed then, be interesting to see who the other opener is that they take. Will they keep Hales in the squad or move to a new option like Bell-Drummond or Lees?

I can't wait to see the squad named, think we may well lose both series but still looking forward to it.

Burgey

Shouldn't this just be in the Assoxiate Cricket Thread? Will anyone watch it? Does anyone care?

Burgey

It's like when England and Australia used to tour places like NZ in the 20s and 30s. And look how **** that turned out for the game.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hameed
Cook
Root
Ballance
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

Reckon that will be the team they go with.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I want to be on both Team Ansari and Team #TauntonVettori, but realistically there isn't room for both of them alongside Moeen and Rashid.

**** it, let's go insane.

1. Cook
2. Ansari
3. Borthwick
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Leach
11. Anderson

12. Ballance
13. Foakes
14. Woakes
15. Wood

Last edited:

morgieb

I want to be on both Team Ansari and Team #TauntonVettori, but realistically there isn't room for both of them alongside Moeen and Rashid.

**** it, let's go insane.

1. Cook
2. Ansari
3. Borthwick
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Leach
11. Anderson