• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So they were right then and we have picked Batty and the 3 uncapped players. Bit crazy if you ask me to take 4 spinners but there you go. Not sure we need 6 pacemen too.

Last edited:

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Buttler over Foakes a surprise given how much red ball cricket Buttler has played this year... I'd have been happier if they told him to focus on ODIs only for the tour.

Batty and Ansari over Jack Leach? Really?

Pleased Root rested for the ODI series.

Compton

International Debutant
Not sure there's much sense in picking Batty, who is too old and wasn't good enough a decade ago, over someone like Jack Leach or Ollie Rayner who have both taken wickets at under 25 this season.

Ansari is a ridiculous decision. England have just decided to pick the spinners based on whether they can bat a bit.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
17 players for a 2 match series is basically covering their bases. Pick loads of players and see who Bayliss likes the look of in Bangladesh.

Duckett is the wild card and maverick of the group. Could do anything. His highly aggresive 360 degree batting against spin could be a real asset on the big turning, low scoring India part of the tour - if he's still around for that. But also could be found to be still not quite mature enough. I wouldn't of selected him for the ODIS tbh.

Hameed is more the Cook/Root pick. Probably earmarked from an early age as something special, maybe picked too early but selectors have determined he has the temperament to succeed and cope. Technically he looks good, and last winter after not being selected for the u19 WC, he went off on his own to India to practice play against spin.

Last edited:

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Not my choice of squad really. Finn unlikely to play any cricket except in the warm up game, so not sure why they need a 17 man squad for 2 tests. You'd have thought Hameed and Duckett would play, because otherwise The Lions tour would be a better bet for their development. Batty is probably in as much for his experience around the team than as a likely pick, particularly as we only have a spin bowling coach for the first test of each series. Leach would have been my choice over Ansari, but maybe a winter in Sri Lanka may be better for his long-term development.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I do hope the best for Hameed given the circumstances, playing for England can't be easy to live with.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some utterly baffling selections, no wonder Durham players are moving to Slurry to enhance their chance of a Test call up. Still making a complete mockery of County Cricket by ignoring the best spin bowling performances (by a distance) and going with Batty & Ansari. Not sure how Haseeb gets picked ahead of Jennings, oh wait one plays for Durham.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd go Cook, Hameed, Root, Duckett, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Ansari, Broad, Anderson. (not sure which order Ali, Stokes and Bairstow should go in)

And for the ODIS- Ali, Roy, Duckett, Bairstow, Buttler, Billings, Stokes, Woakes, Willey, Rashid, Wood. (Dawson for Stokes if the wicket determines).

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Moeen Ali and Jason Roy played in BPL in previous ocassions. They need to step up big time for England now that they will be missing Hales, Root and Morgan. BD on the other hand god knows when played the last ODI. Afghanistan series before this tour comes as a relief.