• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would You Rather

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Would you rather watch a valiant battler with an unorthodox technique in a backs to the wall rearguard, or a fluent stroke maker in full flight when there's no real scoreboard pressure?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's only winning when combined with a varied attack. Think the point is that it's impossible to find a bowler like that in ODIs so it gives a Bradman-esque advantage. Bowler A is basically Steyn who sprays it around a bit.
By not taking wickets bowler B makes it more likely that his playing partners get smashed.

It's bowler A all day long for me. He's a matchwinner.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would you rather watch a valiant battler with an unorthodox technique in a backs to the wall rearguard, or a fluent stroke maker in full flight when there's no real scoreboard pressure?
B. Someone like Pietersen when he's completely unleashed is an absolute joy to watch.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By not taking wickets bowler B makes it more likely that his playing partners get smashed.

It's bowler A all day long for me. He's a matchwinner.
Or the batsmen get frustrated and play rash shots thus getting out to the other bowlers?

harsh.ag

By giving away runs @ 2 RPO, bowler B makes it more likely that batsmen will fall to other bowlers while taking more risks. He is the matchwinner we need, but not the one we roll out the red carpet for.

The Battlers Prince

B. Someone like Pietersen when he's completely unleashed is an absolute joy to watch.
that's why I found this a difficult hypothetical, normally I would think the fight back is the thing I enjoy the most, but there have been some batsmen who make it look so easy and fun it's great to see them teeing off

Shivnarine Chanderpaul every single time
I was actually picturing Border Vs Pup but Chanders is great viewing pleasure at times.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange from Furball. Basically saying don't bowl economically or your teammates will et hammered.

The Battlers Prince

Well, that occurred to me too Mr.

Would you rather watch which type of bowler run through a side:

A A pace bowler who puts the ball in troubling areas and has swing or seam (eg McGrath, Wasim, Steyn, Marshall, Lillee or Broad to Australia lol)

B A pace bowler with pace to burn making the batsmen fear coming to the crease (eg Mitchell Johnson, Thomson, Shoaib, Morkel)

C A spinner who makes the batsmen look stupid

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Strange from Furball. Basically saying don't bowl economically or your teammates will et hammered.
I'm saying that bowling economically on its own isn't necessarily enough in an ODI, you need to be taking wickets as well. Otherwise you're just letting the opposition build a platform to utter smash you in the last 10.

harsh.ag

I'm saying that bowling economically on its own isn't necessarily enough in an ODI, you need to be taking wickets as well. Otherwise you're just letting the opposition build a platform to utter smash you in the last 10.
Yeah, but he's just one bowler. Can simply build the attack around him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not enough of course, but it's still very useful and any team in the world would take a bowler like that.