• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most prodigious seamer ever?

Chrish

International Debutant
Of those I have seen, it has to be Asif

The amount of movement he got off the deck when bowling to right-handers, it's as far as I have seen anyone seam the ball..

smash84

The Tiger King
richie calls it the inshooter so i'll call it the in shooter but its definitely off the seam

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not just say off cutter in dipper sounds like in swinger
some people might think "off-cutter" refers to when you pretty much bowl a fast off-spinning ball, rather than a seam-up delivery that hits the seam and "nips" in

but yeah "in dipper" just sounds like another word for in-swinger.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
richie calls it the inshooter so i'll call it the in shooter but its definitely off the seam
Well here's a back replay of the Viswanath dismissal and you can see how deceptive the main camera angle is. Over half the movement is through the air, with the rest being cut back in because of the way the ball is released. Little to do with the seam.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well here's a back replay of the Viswanath dismissal and you can see how deceptive the main camera angle is. Over half the movement is through the air, with the rest being cut back in because of the way the ball is released. Little to do with the seam.
that looks very much off the seam to me with very little swing in the air :huh:

but even then you can check the one to dujon,

Starfighter

Then you're getting something different out if it (which is OK). I see movement through the air and the ball coming back off the pitch because of the out swinger grip causing the ball to spin back. The seam may provide some extra grip off the surface but it's not the main cause of the movement. Without the movement through the air it would have passed wide of off.

TheJediBrah

Yeah I'm with Starfighter that Imran one looks almost entirely swing through the air with maybe a little off the pitch

Starfighter

His 10/77 at Leeds in 1987 is another good example. Most of the movement (on the fuller deliveries at least) is through the air.

Also, the Asif delivery at the start of this thread is as good an example of a proper off cutter as you'll ever see. If you see the replay you see that the seam is tumbling through the air and gripping on the surface. The way the ball is released with the fingers going more down the leg side of the ball means that when the seam grips on the surface it pulls the ball back in towards the stumps. You won't see such movement from a delivery that actually 'seams', as in lands with the seam straight upright, except on very green pitches.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mohd Asif was a genius with the ball but total idiot off the field imo he is the biggest waste of talent in my time of watching Pakistan cricket.

OverratedSanity

His 10/77 at Leeds in 1987 is another good example. Most of the movement (on the fuller deliveries at least) is through the air.

Also, the Asif delivery at the start of this thread is as good an example of a proper off cutter as you'll ever see. If you see the replay you see that the seam is tumbling through the air and gripping on the surface. The way the ball is released with the fingers going more down the leg side of the ball means that when the seam grips on the surface it pulls the ball back in towards the stumps. You won't see such movement from a delivery that actually 'seams', as in lands with the seam straight upright, except on very green pitches.
It's not an off cutter. It's the wobbly seam delivery that Asif perfected.