• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most prodigious seamer ever?

Chrish

International Debutant
@ Burgey,

Admittingly I didn't know anything about Paul. Just looked him up. Fairly impressive test/ FC figures actually!

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His 10/77 at Leeds in 1987 is another good example. Most of the movement (on the fuller deliveries at least) is through the air.

Also, the Asif delivery at the start of this thread is as good an example of a proper off cutter as you'll ever see. If you see the replay you see that the seam is tumbling through the air and gripping on the surface. The way the ball is released with the fingers going more down the leg side of the ball means that when the seam grips on the surface it pulls the ball back in towards the stumps. You won't see such movement from a delivery that actually 'seams', as in lands with the seam straight upright, except on very green pitches.
not sure how much basis in fact this has tbh

sometimes seam is wobbly, sometimes straight, in either case sometimes it hits the pitch and jags either way.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
not sure how much basis in fact this has tbh
sometimes seam is wobbly, sometimes straight, in either case sometimes it hits the pitch and jags either way.
Generally I'd say that the mechanics of the release will largely dictate the movement. A leg side release will cut in, an offside one out. I've heard a rule that out swing bowlers tend to cut the ball in, and in swing bowlers out. If the seam is upright it could move either way though, and if it's wobbly it could grip or skid. Having great wrists helps, and boy did Asif have those. Such a waste of talent, but things like that happen.

Edit: of course the pitch is a factor as well.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally I'd say that the mechanics of the release will largely dictate the movement. A leg side release will cut in, an offside one out. I've heard a rule that out swing bowlers tend to cut the ball in, and in swing bowlers out. If the seam is upright it could move either way though, and if it's wobbly it could grip or skid. Having great wrists helps, and boy did Asif have those. Such a waste of talent, but things like that happen.

Edit: of course the pitch is a factor as well.
This is the theory, and everyone always says it when you're a kid and you're supposed to be learning to bowl but in my experience it's pretty much all bull****, the ball will hit the pitch and randomly do whatever depending on where the seam hits.

That's just, like my opinion, man

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eh, I find it to be true most of the time, although personally I tend to skid the ball rather than cutting it. As I mentioned though good use of the wrists can get it going either way like Asif.

Edit: Getting a bit off topic here.

Back on topic, McGrath may not have moved the ball the most, but he seamed it consistently and was certainly prodigious in the wickets column.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A few quicks have little different grips, which they think can maximise the chances of a ball heading one way off the seam.