• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Pakistan in UAE 2016

Xuhaib

International Coach
Well I understand their thinking. With Hafeez gone, they wanted to go for someone in the top order they think they can rely on. Funnily enough, I always thought between Shafiq and Azhar, Shafiq would be the better ODI player as he has more shots and looks to score more often in test cricket but Azhar ended up being the better player.

Shafiq is coming on the back of some T20 form though not unlike U Akmal. I won't be surprised if Pakistan end up winning the ODI series, not because they are suddenly a good ODI team but because West Indies look in shambles at the moment. Their fielding and body language is atrocious. They give the impression that they don't really care about this series.
Shafiq is similar to Younis in the sense he needs atleast 50 balls to get in but once settled he is quite free flowing ODi cricket especially the modern game does not allow you this luxury hence he gets out quite cheaply trying to force the pace before getting in.

The LOI side balance is getting better but Latif and Sharjeel at top is one hack too many only one is needed.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Correct and that's why the T20 side despite their last 3 wins is a long way from being a very good side. They are just returning to the Ajmal-Hafeez era of post World Cup 2011-2014 under Misbah. Misbah gets a lot of flak for LO fortunes but his side despite struggling had managed to win a few series like India, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka (twice I believe) plus the Asia Cup and making the final in 2014.

So now with Imad and Nawaz sort of replicating that, Pakistan is back to being able to defend 150+ totals and restricting teams to 140 and below and chasing them down. But yeah with Sharjeel, Latif at the top, you will never have a dominant side.

As for the ODI side, I'd like to see
Sharjeel
Azhar
Babar
U Akmal
Sarfraz
Malik
Imad
Nawaz

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Horrible series from us so far in the format we are best at. This does not bode well at all. I thought the batting was totally brainless and Pakistan have employed the thoroughly reasonable tactics of bowling spin 75% of the time and making sure the boundaries are as big as possible. It's the best way to beat us as we are a six hitting team but that is about it. Our batting has not coped with that at all and it has been horrible to watch them unable to rotate the strike and picking out men in the deep when they try to release the pressure. Amateurish stuff. Unless they iumprove a lot tonight I don't see this pattern changing.

Beamer

Mini-rant alert: Playing Pakistan in the UAE without a proper coach is just so WICB. Sack the coach who is really popular with the players a week before the tour starts, make the bowling ocach the head coach and then bring in a batting consultant 3 days before the first T20 starts. Just great preparation! They have done everything they possibly can to ensure this tour goes badly when it was always likely too anyway.

Beamer

They've also named the test squad and it is the same as the one that played the last test against India but with Jamal Warrican added as the second spinner.

Squad: Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite (vice captain), Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Carlos Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shai Hope, Leon Johnson ,Alzarri Joseph, Marlon Samuels, Jomel Warrican.

I would accept heavy defeats in every single Limited Overs match if the test side puts up a good show and is competitive. I really like our new bowling attack but the conditions will be tough for Cummins, Joseph, Gabriel and Holder. I'm expecting big things from Chase who should hopefully score runs and take wickets in these conditions.

I was really hoping Samuels wouldn't be selected so Shai Hope could finally get a chance in the middle order where he belongs. But it looks like they're going to give Leon Johnson a run at the top instead and if he fails catastrophically they will throw Shai in again. They really don't learn.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
oh poor Fletcher, I love him

**** Marlon's casual demeanor really makes him look like a selfish prick in situations like that, but like it wasn't really his fault

Beamer

Utterly dreadful. From the best team in the World to this rabble in a few months. It's not a coincidence, the WICB have a huge amount of blame for this.

I fear for Carlos Braithwaite. He is not ready for this. I also struggle to see why Andre Fletcher played all 3 matches. Oh dear. I'm not sure the ODI's could be worse so that's something I guess.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan won't be playing any more T20s this season so that's a great finish to it after a horrible start earlier this year. Imad Wasim is easily the find of the LO team. He always walks around with an air of confidence and attitude which I felt was unjustified so far. I feel that he is slowly backing that up with some solid performances.