• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the second greatest batsman ever redux, 100 men from 5 eras whittled to 1

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
That's 13 votes each for Sutcliffe, Hammond and Headley; 10 for Ponsford; 9 for Mitchell; 2 each for Leyland, Dempster and Paynter; 1 for Woodfull; 0 for Duleep - I thought the first three were shoo-ins but I wasn't expecting it to be that clear-cut for the other two.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can someone confirm for me whether this is meant to be Test only? People kind of talked about it a bit but no-one changed the title or seemingly made it official before it started.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think that makes it less fun, but I'm bored enough to play anyway:

George Headley
Wally Hammond
Bruce Mitchell
Bert Sutcliffe
Bill Woodfull

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 1 Heat 3

bold indicates qualified for Round 2

Herb Sutcliffe (15 votes)
Wally Hammond (15 votes)
George Headley (15 votes)
Bill Ponsford (11 votes)
Bruce Mitchell (10 votes)

Stewie Dempster (3 votes)
Maurice Leyland (2 votes)
Eddie Paynter (2 votes)
Bill Woodfull (2 votes)
KS Duleep (0 votes)

Round 1, Heat 4:

Stan McCabe
Vijay Merchant
Dudley Nourse
Len Hutton
Vijay Hazare
Denis Compton
Martin Donnelly
Lindsy Hassett
Arthur Morris
Frank Worrell

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Stan McCabe
Vijay Merchant
Dudley Nourse
Len Hutton
Vijay Hazare
Denis Compton
Martin Donnelly
Lindsy Hassett
Arthur Morris
Frank Worrell

watson

Banned
Hazare - big impact on Indian cricket and probably a better batsman than Merchant

Stan McCabe
Len Hutton
Vijay Hazare
Denis Compton
Frank Worrell

Last edited: