• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the second greatest batsman ever redux, 100 men from 5 eras whittled to 1

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Missing:

Desmond Haynes
Lindsay Hassett
Stephen Fleming
Richie Richardson
Ross Taylor
Gundappa Viswanath
Misbah-ul-Haq
Angelo Mathews

probably more, but these are the most glaring.
Can you think of players who should be replaced by these guys tho?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Here, I'll short list them to save the trouble. The serious contenders are:

Grace
Ranji
Trumper
Hobbs
Hutton
Sobers
G.Chappell
Miandad
Border
Tendulkar
Lara

mr_mister

Sehwag will go in, definite oversight. I did this list at 3am so have some sympathy. As will Lindsay Hassett.

There will be no short-list or removal of golden age cricketers, part of the fun will be seeing who is considered the best from the golden age

mr_mister

by pushing a few players up to above eras (Morris did make his FC debut in the inter-war years... I think) and Gooch made his FC debut prior to '75 I've managed to squeeze in Ross Taylor and Damian Martyn as well

Alvin Kallcharian hasn't done enough I don't think test record wise to dislodge anyone else left in this thing

Last edited:

mr_mister

Actually comparing his test record to Dilip Vengsarkar, I think Alvin's is slightly more impressive. So he's in.

Nearly everyone else in this now averaged above 45 or was from the Golden Era where I'll overlook that

mr_mister

So just to clarify, this will in fact now be judged soley on test performances. But still keep in mind the eras, conditions and bowlers faced when voting. Not that this will matter for the opening round as that will pit peers against each other

mr_mister

have also found a spot for David Gower. meant pushing Frank Worral up into the inter-war years... which I know is silly but he did make his FC debut way back in 1940. And in his group of 10 he will be alongside people like Hutton, Compton and Morris all who played well after the war so it's not like he'l be out of place

mr_mister

Since the Golden era groups are kind of locked into place, I'm happy to start Round 1 Heat 1 right now. People can feel free to suggest players to be swapped in the later groups amongst the votes.

Most heats will go around 48 hours or til I'm happy we've had enough votes to give us a clear top 5

So the group heats are split into FC debut chronological order to make them truly a battle of peers

but we are basing this on Test performances.

Golden Age, Heat 1:

WG Grace
Arthur Shrewsbury
Archie Maclaren
FS Jackson
CB Fry
Monty Noble
Clem Hill
Tom Hayward
KS Ranji
Victor Trumper

Simply post who you feel are the top 5 test batsmen from this group

Last edited:

watson

Banned
WG Grace
Archie Maclaren
Clem Hill
KS Ranji
Victor Trumper

The great Johnny Tyldesley would have been another good choice, and a class above Jackson, Fry, and Noble.

The first double centurian, Billy Murdoch, is another missing icon, as is Herbie Taylor who had his finest hour against Sydney Barnes on some horrible matting where the ball turned side-ways.

Last edited: