• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player to bat for your life?

Player to bat for your life?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Hence "I won't try to answer that for you" :)

If I am selecting life saving xi, then Bradman would definitely be a part of it considering if they get caught on sticky and if he fails, I would be hopeful of depending on other players

But if I can only select one batsman from uncovered wicket era then it would be Hobbs. Brilliant on sticky and not too shabby on good wickets either.
how frequently would you encounter a sticky wicket though?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
People trying to downplay Bradman's greatness, Burgey over-selling the inferior AB, and Hurricane posting rubbish.

Nice to see not a lot has changed while I was gone.

I vote Bradman ftr
STFU and start dishing out likes.........my post to like ratio has gone to **** since you've gone awol. Sort yourself out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flawed logic tbh. When you are talking about this specific scenario, you have to be prepared for the worst possible conditions that player might face. And the fact is 'worst possible condition' is different for each player because of uniqueness of each era. So, when you think of Bradman you have to consider the possibility of sticky wicket. The same way if you are considering Sunny or Border you have to consider the possibility of them running into WI bowlers.

So taking the possibility of sticky into account, would you consider Bradman or would you consider Hobbs or Headley given the situation? I wont try to answer that for you.

Experts during that time period considered Bradman the best batsman with certain conditions attached. Like best player on good wickets while Hobbs the master of all wickets etc. There was an expert who even left out Bradman from his XI saying what if it rains? Reckon it was Frank Wooley.
As opposed to the perfectly sound logic that you have to choose someone, including dead people, to actually bat to save your life? ;)

TheJediBrah

Hence "I won't try to answer that for you" :)

If I am selecting life saving xi, then Bradman would definitely be a part of it considering if they get caught on sticky and if he fails, I would be hopeful of depending on other players

But if I can only select one batsman from uncovered wicket era then it would be Hobbs. Brilliant on sticky and not too shabby on good wickets either.
You're not making any sense. You might have a point if you were 100% certain to be playing on a sticky wicket.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If I have to choose people who are alive now, I may as well choose the one with the most recent form. He'd be the best..... except with AB (There is no 'real' AB - just the 'pretender' AB). He is good for all times. People only pick Steve Waugh because they never saw his teacher in action. This student never bettered his teacher.

Bradman with time travel - AB without.

the big bambino

International Captain
I haven't read all the thread but if no one has said Boonie then I say Boonie.

Ok maybe he wouldn't be the 1st choice of many (and Border was srsly bankable) but there was a time when Australia rode on Boonie's back despite having statistically greater batsmen in the team.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As opposed to the perfectly sound logic that you have to choose someone, including dead people, to actually bat to save your life? ;)
Excellent point. If Donald Bradman could not save his own life with bat in hand........why would anyone think he would be arsed to try and save any of ours??

Burgey

Boonie. WAG. Loved his work.

Is there anyone who has played backyard cricket in Australia who hasn't plonked an Esky at short leg, called it Boonie and declared any ball that travels in the air within a metre of it is automatically out because "Boonie would've caught it"?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Is there anyone who has played backyard cricket in Australia who hasn't plonked a chilly bin at short leg, called it Boonie and declared any ball that travels in the air within a metre of it is automatically out because "Boonie would've caught it"?
Fixed that for you

Burgey

Cheers. The point stands, though. Automatic out if it goes within a metre of Boonie at short leg.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Is there anyone who has played backyard cricket in Australia who hasn't plonked an Esky at short leg, called it Boonie and declared any ball that travels in the air within a metre of it is automatically out because "Boonie would've caught it"?
The best thing about this is that anything can be Boonie. Esky, rubbish bin, garden pot, the dog, hot water service, outdoor chair. As long as it's at short leg.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Boonie always reminded me of a garden gnome. If only he wore the pointy green instead. Perhaps the best short leg ever because you need guts to field there.