• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player to bat for your life?

Player to bat for your life?

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not if Lillee is bowling. Could get him out with a tomato
Yeah well AB didn't have to play much against Lillee so that is one sided logic and secondly when he did play against Lillee's protege (Hadlee) he got carved up on 6 occassions.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the answer is Bradman but from the list provided then I would go Gavaskar. He averaged 51 opening the batting. Studies show that opening knocks 4-5 runs off your average compared to the cushier spots of 3-5.
I think that rule probably applies outside the subcontinent, but not inside. In fact I've often wondered if it's the dead opposite there, and that the best time for scoring runs is actually when the ball is hard & new and the pacers are operating. Certainly remember it seeming that way with the likes of Sehwag and Gambhir up top. This isn't necessarily a slight against Gavaskar, but just an observation over the years particularly with Indian batsmen.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think that rule probably applies outside the subcontinent, but not inside. In fact I've often wondered if it's the dead opposite there, and that the best time for scoring runs is actually when the ball is hard & new and the pacers are operating. Certainly remember it seeming that way with the likes of Sehwag and Gambhir up top. This isn't necessarily a slight against Gavaskar, but just an observation over the years particularly with Indian batsmen.
Very good point :)

Burgey

For plenty.

Look, 'cane. You talk about flawed logic because I mention Lillee but you rely on a geriatric game long after retirement to support your assertion it's Gavaskar. Come on, now.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
For plenty.

Look, 'cane. You talk about flawed logic because I mention Lillee but you rely on a geriatric game long after retirement to support your assertion it's Gavaskar. Come on, now.
Haha. AB was my second pick off the list. Sunil was simply a more accomplished batsman though. Anyone who can open the batting against the West Indies in the West Indies and actually perform is a cricketing God. Ask Ken Rutherford how hard it is to open the batting against the West Indies over in their neck of the woods. I think he averaged 1.2 runs over 5 innings against them. Thats not a 12 with a dirty spot on your computer screen getting in the way, it was actually 1.2. And he was a childhood protege with great things expected of him and he went on to be a serviceable international batsman.

Sure AB put up some good numbers as well. But as an opening batsman yourself you know there is no comparison between batting 3 and opening. One of those gigs is ten times harder than the other.

I have no idea why Dravid is getting votes presumably because of his "Wall" inning. He would be quite low down on the pantheon of players I would nominate for this and I would not have made him a voting option. Burgey is right to the extent that Border is an order of magnitude better than "I make my mind up before the ball is bowled what shot to play" Rahul.

OverratedSanity

I have no idea why Dravid is getting votes presumably because of his "Wall" inning. "I make my mind up before the ball is bowled what shot to play" Rahul.
This is one of the most wrong things I've ever heard. You're free to think Dravid wasn't as good as the others (although again, you'd be wrong), but Dravid played the ball ridiculously late. Come up with something better.

Zinzan

to the extent that Border is an order of magnitude better than "I make my mind up before the ball is bowled what shot to play" Rahul.
Oooo that's fairly brutal on Dravid Cane. Can't thinking he managed the amazing career he did premeditating :huh:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is one of the most wrong things I've ever heard. You're free to think Dravid wasn't as good as the others (although again, you'd be wrong), but Dravid played the ball ridiculously late. Come up with something better.
There is a kernel of truth to it wrapped around a generous layer of hyperbole obviously.

For the most part he was an Uber talented player. Possibly with levels of talent rivalling Tendulkar. But he was emotional. And he had immature emotions as a batsman. He irrationally over valued his wicket. Sometimes this would be handy if chaos was happening at the other end. Other times the game didn't advance quickly enough because he hated getting out so much.

My kernel of truth is that 50% of the time he had premeditated defence while the bowler was running in. And if gifted a full toss he would adjust and put it away. But all other factors being equal he would proceed with plan A and block it.
The opposite was also true. Sometimes he would get fidgety from blocking it for so long and you could just see the next ball was going to go the distance, and it would. He was so talented he could hit virtually any delivery he wanted to for four on those occasions. And that is why I started this post by emphasising how gifted he was.

But we never got to see him reach the heights he should have because he was an emotionally stunted player who was overly afraid and fearful of getting out.

DriveClub

International Regular
There is a kernel of truth to it wrapped around a generous layer of hyperbole obviously.

For the most part he was an Uber talented player. Possibly with levels of talent rivalling Tendulkar. But he was emotional. And he had immature emotions as a batsman. He irrationally over valued his wicket. Sometimes this would be handy if chaos was happening at the other end. Other times the game didn't advance quickly enough because he hated getting out so much.

My kernel of truth is that 50% of the time he had premeditated defence while the bowler was running in. And if gifted a full toss he would adjust and put it away. But all other factors being equal he would proceed with plan A and block it.
The opposite was also true. Sometimes he would get fidgety from blocking it for so long and you could just see the next ball was going to go the distance, and it would. He was so talented he could hit virtually any delivery he wanted to for four on those occasions. And that is why I started this post by emphasising how gifted he was.

But we never got to see him reach the heights he should have because he was an emotionally stunted player who was overly afraid and fearful of getting out.
None of that makes any sense

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Make Dravid read this and see him roll his eyes. Well actually he wouldn't because he's an awesome guy, and would say things like "Maybe there is something to this" or "No, no, the gentleman in question isn't bat**** crazy, Harsha".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I agree with all of this but I think you are being unfair if you think Dravid is the only batsman who does that. Just about all batsmen not named Sehwag have done it, at least in my time of watching cricket.

And I do not think premeditated defensive strokes are emotional by any stretch of the imagination. And you might be confusing a well thought out response to the situation as a batsman with premeditation as well. I am sure there are occassions when Dravid, like any other batsman to have played test cricket, had decided that he was going to block than look for a boundary at a good length ball, lets say. Him not looking for a scoring option at that point could well be because of the state of the game more often than his own state of mind. Emotions have nothing to do with it AFAIC.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane I completely disagree with everything you said. It's almost like you didn't watch any Dravid innings or considered the context of the Indian batting lineup...

anil1405

International Captain

Nice description of how a batsman would probably perform in baseball.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with all of this but I think you are being unfair if you think Dravid is the only batsman who does that. Just about all batsmen not named Sehwag have done it, at least in my time of watching cricket.
OK good post. And thanks for taking in good nature Indian Fans. It is a well known fact by anyone who observed him that he valued his wicket too much. I just was bored so tried to be edgey to create some controversy in the thread to give us something to sink our teeth into.

And yes all batsman do it. Premeditating is an essential part of cricket. There are simply some balls in cricket that you know you have to block before the bowler even begins his run up.

Batsman who play EVERY ball on its merits never amount to anything.