• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player to bat for your life?

Player to bat for your life?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD how does Dravid get a run at this ahead of Border or even SWaugh, let alone Boycott?

I love Dravid (not in the wanting to penetrate the wall sense, but still) but he really doesn't match up here. It's a travesty. Aldo, HB, OS, Athlai - hang your heads in shame. I don't know who the other bloke is who voted for Dravid - he seems ot have joined in 2009 but only made about five posts. I can understand a spambot voting for Dravid in this, but fmd, the rest of you?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bull****. You blokes just have no idea how great the One True AB was at carrying a whole side and keeping it competitive by grinding out tough runs. His record is ridiculous in that regard. No one else goes close.

Boycott used to block because he was a selfish **** and didn't care about his team, only himself. He'd bat the same way at 0/200 as he would at 4/20. He did that because he's a ****.

Dravid did it well in England and at times here, but he failed as often in backs to the wall situations as he succeeded, and he didn't have to do it on the decks the One True AB did either. He also had Mythdulkar, Ganguly and blokes like Sehwag in his side.

In the 80s, The One True AB had blokes like Andrew Hilditch, Graeme Wood, Greg Ritchie and Wayne Phillips. It's a wonder he wasn't driven to an assisted suicide in that era, let alone average what he did against all comers in situations where saving the follow on was regarded as a minor victory. And he was skipper to boot.

Steve Waugh was a hard bloke, but The One True AB taught him how to be hard. Smith was mentally strong, and if it was limited to a fourth innings dig, he would arguably be second to The One True AB. Kallis? Spare me. Like Boycott, he'd bat for your life only if there was something in it for him.

Gavaskar and Miandad rightly not registering on anyone's radar in this poll.

It's a no-brainer, is this question. You should all change your votes to The One True AB.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Watson is a bold choice.
:laugh:

You're sitting on the sidelines nervously watching having elected Shane Watson to bat to save your life. Nec minnit you hear the anguished cry of ..............."Ohhhh Noooo"

But wait, there's still hope............he's gone for the review!!

Alas, RTS shows he's smashed the cover off it..........You're ****ed.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Tried to vote other but my finger missed twice, picking Graeme Smith then cast vote :sad:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bull****. You blokes just have no idea how great the One True AB was at carrying a whole side and keeping it competitive by grinding out tough runs. His record is ridiculous in that regard. No one else goes close.

Boycott used to block because he was a selfish **** and didn't care about his team, only himself. He'd bat the same way at 0/200 as he would at 4/20. He did that because he's a ****.

Dravid did it well in England and at times here, but he failed as often in backs to the wall situations as he succeeded, and he didn't have to do it on the decks the One True AB did either. He also had Mythdulkar, Ganguly and blokes like Sehwag in his side.

In the 80s, The One True AB had blokes like Andrew Hilditch, Graeme Wood, Greg Ritchie and Wayne Phillips. It's a wonder he wasn't driven to an assisted suicide in that era, let alone average what he did against all comers in situations where saving the follow on was regarded as a minor victory. And he was skipper to boot.

Steve Waugh was a hard bloke, but The One True AB taught him how to be hard. Smith was mentally strong, and if it was limited to a fourth innings dig, he would arguably be second to The One True AB. Kallis? Spare me. Like Boycott, he'd bat for your life only if there was something in it for him.

It's a no-brainer, is this question. You should all change your votes to The One True AB.

For a guy who baits every non-Aussie supporter here, you fell for that way too easily. :)

FTR, I do rate Border very very high and I am sure had I been around when he had to carry around a weak ass batting line up back in the 80s, I would have voted for him for sure. But I tend to vote for the guys I have seen in my time of watching cricket in such exercises and hence Dravid it is, winning by a whisker over Kallis. I would pick AB but the guy is way too talented for even his own good at times.

watson

Banned

Big wuss against Malcolm Marshall though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mike Atherton, unless Glenn McGrath is in the oppo, in which case Sir Geoffrey, as long as his life depends on it too, and he's only got to bat out time rather than reach a target - if the latter then Brian Lara

anil1405

International Captain
Majority of the posters here would've seen Dravid bat day in and day out. Not necessarily the case with AB as am vaguely guessing that a pretty low number who post here have seen AB do it day in day out.

Its pretty obvious to point out every minor flaw of Dravid (technology kicking in) as he did struggle a bit at times, be it in judging line of the delivery or maybe struggling to cope with the bounce at times. (Minor flaws which tend to weigh up when we talk about ATGs or near ATGs).

What about AB? Did he go through a bad phase during his career or was he consistently good? Did he struggle with any technical aspect of batting at times?