• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's worse is losing 10 overs worth of play on day 1 at the Oval for no reason. Something that is actually cricket's fault.
I know in the other thread you distinguished cricket admin vs. the actual sport, but the rule about how much of the field needs to be covered is cricket's fault imo. Apparently there is a law that minimum ten metres of run ups have to be covered? Surely that's just simply inadequate.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was raining for days before the match took place. Goughy even mentioned it multiple times. Rubbish scheduling, and it's mainly because WI have been squeezed out of their traditional home season by **** like the IPL. Covering the ground fully and investing in the sopper was the only other thing they could've done.

As for Durban, they probably didn't expect it to rain in the driest month of the year, and because they weren't expecting any rain, it probably didn't cross their mind that the relaid ground would be an issue. They got unlucky because of a bit of oversight. It's not acceptable and they should accept full responsibility for ruining a test match, but it's an understandable mistake. Alternatively, it may have not been an oversight and they have simply taken a gamble and lost.

Both instances are definitely embarrassing and could have been solved by better scheduling, or at the very least full covers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know in the other thread you distinguished cricket admin vs. the actual sport, but the rule about how much of the field needs to be covered is cricket's fault imo. Apparently there is a law that minimum ten metres of run ups have to be covered? Surely that's just simply inadequate.
Clearly a rule with India in mind. They've got **** seamers so make a rule that negates other teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh: but TBF, our seamers do have long run ups most of the time, the ball just comes slower than with others of similar run ups..
Yeah but still, if India's seamers couldn't bowl that wouldn't change the effectiveness of their team as much as if, say, England's seamers couldn't bowl. It still holds up. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was raining for days before the match took place. Goughy even mentioned it multiple times. Rubbish scheduling, and it's mainly because WI have been squeezed out of their traditional home season by **** like the IPL. Covering the ground fully and investing in the sopper was the only other thing they could've done.
If the game is lost because it rained during the test - yes agree.

If the game is lost because it rained before the match or during hours outside of play, and then they can't dry the grass, I think it is mainly the fault of the ground/cricket admin. It is important to stress that the sun was out. Sure the scheduling wasn't great but dry the frickin' grass. They actually got lucky by it not being rained out, but they didn't have the facilities to take advantage of it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And they have allocated a test in Chennai from Dec 16. Easily the wettest month of the year for us. I dunno if it is some sorta payback still for Srini mama or just stupid scheduling. I mean, just last year we had like the worst floods of my life time from Dec 3 to 8 or whatever. We were the 24 hours headline on most news channels and now they schedule a friggin test match the same month of the next year. :(

Furball

Evil Scotsman

As for Durban, they probably didn't expect it to rain in the driest month of the year, and because they weren't expecting any rain, it probably didn't cross their mind that the relaid ground would be an issue. They got unlucky because of a bit of oversight. It's not acceptable and they should accept full responsibility for ruining a test match, but it's an understandable mistake. Alternatively, it may have not been an oversight and they have simply taken a gamble and lost.

Both instances are definitely embarrassing and could have been solved by better scheduling, or at the very least full covers.

I'm going to take issue with the bolded as it's not the case. There isn't (yet) a rule that bans other cricket from taking place while the IPL is on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I'd agree with that and it's a rule that doesn't make any sense. I don't see how a wet outfield is necessarily less dangerous for a player than a wet run up.

vcs

And they have allocated a test in Chennai from Dec 16. Easily the wettest month of the year for us. I dunno if it is some sorta payback still for Srini mama or just stupid scheduling. I mean, just last year we had like the worst floods of my life time from Dec 3 to 8 or whatever. We were the 24 hours headline on most news channels and now they schedule a friggin test match the same month of the next year. :(
Yeah, the floods were big news last year. Sad indictment of urban planning (or the lack of) in India.

Bangalore against SA got rained out last year after day 1 (I had a 5-day pass which got refunded, but not much of a consolation), in fairness, it was just consistent drizzly weather and not a lot you could do about it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to take issue with the bolded as it's not the case. There isn't (yet) a rule that bans other cricket from taking place while the IPL is on.
No... but there is a clear bullying tactic done by BCCI using money as a sledge hammer..

And yes it has been done before by other boards, but that does not make it right but does make life difficult for the game in totality.

Flem274*

123/5
I do, however, find it amusing the NZ fans are so cut up about this when they seriously were going to cop the mother of all hidings if play had got underway on day three.
bro some of us aren't cursed with being from New South Waveourdicks and don't mind watching Steyn tear **** up aye

Anyway one day we're going to see a cricket game in a covered stadium and wonder why it didn't happen sooner.

TheJediBrah

bro some of us aren't cursed with being from New South Waveourdicks and don't mind watching Steyn tear **** up aye

Anyway one day we're going to see a cricket game in a covered stadium and wonder why it didn't happen sooner.
this has happened quite a few times in the sporting capital of the world

Burgey

Probably the same feeling they get when they ask "Where's New Zealand?" tbh